Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Interline *A to *A, separate Tx, different baggage restrictions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2019, 7:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: mileage plus

I'm UA 1K (not for very much longer)
Itinerary:
  • Ticket 1: UA - SFO-LAX
I wish to interline with
  • Ticket 2:BR (EVA) LAX-TPE-MNL
3-5 hrs LAX connection time.

EVA's baggage allowance is quite a bit more restrictive than UA's 3 x 32kg, for a 1K.

Can I interline and enjoy my massive 1k baggage allowance without worry of additional charges because of EVA's paltry allowance?

Thanks for your assistance!
Old Oct 28, 2019, 8:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
I've done business class to economy interline a number of times on separate tickets, but never attempted with the additional allowance from status. As with any separate tix interline, YYMV because it's at the whim of the check in agent if they'll even interline for you. On BR though you should still have 3x 23kg, right? It's not really that bad.
Old Oct 28, 2019, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dbulkeley
I'm UA 1K (not for very much longer)
Itinerary:
  • Ticket 1: UA - SFO-LAX
I wish to interline with
  • Ticket 2:BR (EVA) LAX-TPE-MNL
3-5 hrs LAX connection time.

EVA's baggage allowance is quite a bit more restrictive than UA's 3 x 32kg, for a 1K.

Can I interline and enjoy my massive 1k baggage allowance without worry of additional charges because of EVA's paltry allowance?
What does the tickets show as baggage allowance?
Class of travel?
Do you need to take that much weight? Or leave it at home.
UA forum:-- UA Bag Interlining If Separate Tix with *A Partners (YES) & Non *A Partners (NO)
Old Oct 28, 2019, 8:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: mileage plus
UA, SFO-LAX: 3 x 32kg allowance, 1k status
BR, LAX-TPE-MNL: 3 x 23kg

Yes, of course I can depart with 3 x 23kg and worry about nothing. In which case I need not have bothered this community with my question.

I'm an American live in Asia though, and am expecting twins in December. My wife has gone absolutely nuts on Amazon - I really do need the full allowance!
Old Oct 29, 2019, 2:13 am

Interline *A to *A, separate Tx, *same* baggage restrictions, BKK vs SIN

Sorry to jump on this thread, but was about to ask a similar question.

I’m contemplating either a;
1) DPS SIN (SQ) interline SIN ICN (OZ), or
2) DPS BKK (TG) interline BKK ICN (OZ)

So the two TX / PNR would be the SQ or TG, then the OZ.

Both have connection times in excess of 250mins,
has anyone done the same or anything similar ? Say from CGK or KLU etc.

Wondering what your thoughts are on the two airports, especially if I’m denied interline at origin, could I try to ask the transfer desk next ?
Old Oct 29, 2019, 3:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by MingFlyerTalk2019
Sorry to jump on this thread, but was about to ask a similar question.

I’m contemplating either a;
1) DPS SIN (SQ) interline SIN ICN (OZ), or
2) DPS BKK (TG) interline BKK ICN (OZ)

So the two TX / PNR would be the SQ or TG, then the OZ.

Both have connection times in excess of 250mins,
has anyone done the same or anything similar ? Say from CGK or KLU etc.

Wondering what your thoughts are on the two airports, especially if I’m denied interline at origin, could I try to ask the transfer desk next ?
I would expect SQ and TG both to interline. Both are generous on that. If SQ will not, at SIN, it's reported the SQ transfer desk will retrieve your bags and recheck them so you don't have to clear immigration. Though I don't know about rechecking to OZ. You might check the SQ forum. That's not going to happen at BKK.
Old Oct 29, 2019, 5:55 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
I would expect SQ and TG both to interline. Both are generous on that. If SQ will not, at SIN, it's reported the SQ transfer desk will retrieve your bags and recheck them so you don't have to clear immigration. Though I don't know about rechecking to OZ. You might check the SQ forum. That's not going to happen at BKK.

Thank You Kacee,

I think OZ uses an outsource agent at SIN but okay I’ll try asking at the SQ forum...but just worried I might be double posting.
Old Oct 29, 2019, 7:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Originally Posted by dbulkeley
UA, SFO-LAX: 3 x 32kg allowance, 1k status
BR, LAX-TPE-MNL: 3 x 23kg

Yes, of course I can depart with 3 x 23kg and worry about nothing. In which case I need not have bothered this community with my question.

I'm an American live in Asia though, and am expecting twins in December. My wife has gone absolutely nuts on Amazon - I really do need the full allowance!
I've been in the same situation for over 10 years (minus the twins) and have taken advantage of the full 3x32kg many times (well usually actually 6x32kg with my spouse traveling with me). In this case though, I'd pack expecting UA not to interline and go according to BR's 3x23kg. It's going to be really expensive at LAX if UA doesn't accept your request and they are under zero obligation to do so.
Old Oct 30, 2019, 6:43 am

My experience in a similar situation: The second airline will ask you for the bag tags at check in. If you don't show the tags the bags are most likely left behind because they cannot be matched to a passenger. If you show the tags they possibly notice the weight.
Old Nov 2, 2019, 11:18 pm

Originally Posted by Unterwegs
My experience in a similar situation: The second airline will ask you for the bag tags at check in. If you don't show the tags the bags are most likely left behind because they cannot be matched to a passenger. If you show the tags they possibly notice the weight.
This has not been my experience at all. I flew YSJ > YYZ > EWR on AC then EWR > LHR on UA. I did OLCI for both airlines declaring the number of bags I intended to check. When I arrived at YSJ I told the check in agent, hey I'm checking in my bag for this flight but will be connecting to the UA 940 to LHR at EWR could you make sure it gets checked through to final destination? Sure. A couple keyboard clicks later and the bag is sent off. Fast forward 15 hours later and I arrive in LHR and my red bag arrives on the carousel!

At no point was I asked by UA to show bag tags or any of that non-sense it was just checked through as it should. Perhaps OALs are more stringent on their checking but thus far this has not been my experience at all.

Safe Travels,

James
Often1 likes this.
Old Nov 7, 2019, 1:48 pm

Programs: UA
I wouldn't expect any problems, just make sure the UA agent tags it all the way to MNL. You may want to show your bag tags to the BR representative at LAX to make sure they're loaded on your flight. 99% sure they will not even ask about size/weight.

I've done the same thing but UA to 4U transfer on a fare with 0 checked bag allowance, I needed to show the 4U agent at LHR my bag tag so they would grab them from UA but they made it there with no extra charge.
Old Nov 10, 2019, 11:49 am

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by j2simpso
This has not been my experience at all. I flew YSJ > YYZ > EWR on AC then EWR > LHR on UA. I did OLCI for both airlines declaring the number of bags I intended to check. When I arrived at YSJ I told the check in agent, hey I'm checking in my bag for this flight but will be connecting to the UA 940 to LHR at EWR could you make sure it gets checked through to final destination? Sure. A couple keyboard clicks later and the bag is sent off. Fast forward 15 hours later and I arrive in LHR and my red bag arrives on the carousel!

At no point was I asked by UA to show bag tags or any of that non-sense it was just checked through as it should. Perhaps OALs are more stringent on their checking but thus far this has not been my experience at all.

Safe Travels,

James
The system is designed that your bag tag information should automatically propogate to downline airlines' systems. However, it sometimes doesn't work (especially if there are enough segments to require multiple bag tags), so it is highly recommended to show your bag tag to each downline airline when you check-in/board their flight.
GUWonder likes this.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 2:51 pm

Similar question... I’ve booked my first ever stat alliance flight going for one of the Air China deals from Munich To Bangkok. I am London based so need to position to Munich from London on a separate ticket. if I do this with Lufthansa will they check my bags through to BKK? And on the way back will Air China check my bag through to London?

From what I understand from my research I think it will depend on the check in agents but I wanted to check that as it impacts upon how long I allow for connections in Munich.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by Chandni
Similar question... I’ve booked my first ever stat alliance flight going for one of the Air China deals from Munich To Bangkok. I am London based so need to position to Munich from London on a separate ticket. if I do this with Lufthansa will they check my bags through to BKK? And on the way back will Air China check my bag through to London?

From what I understand from my research I think it will depend on the check in agents but I wanted to check that as it impacts upon how long I allow for connections in Munich.
From my experience that should be no problem. You’ll want to check in on both flights and declare you’re checking bags for each. Then head to LH check on counter, and tell the agent you’re flying CA through BKK providing the relevant flight numbers. They may ask to see your boarding passes to confirm but then they’ll print a bag tag that has MUC, PEK, BKK on it.

At least this was my experience flying AC and UA on separate itineraries from YSJ to YYZ to EWR to LHR. As usual my little red bag appeared before I arrived on the baggage hall.

-James
Often1 and Chandni like this.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 4:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
LH will check across separate tickets to LH and *A.

Best to have a paper printout of your e-ticket receipt for the downstream ticket for the LH check-in agent. It lets him confirm that the PNR and e-ticket number match. You should also carefully review the bag tag yourself.
Chandni likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.