Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Crediting segments on same ticket to different *A FF program

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2019, 9:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE

I have a ticket coming up where I'd like to be able to credit at least one segment to AC, while crediting the longer segments to UA. Details as follows:
  • Air NZ Issued ticket for YYC to RAR
  • YYC-LAX on AC (hoping to credit to AC)
  • ~26 hour stopover in LAX
  • LAX-RAR on NZ (hoping to credit to UA)
  • Return flight is RAR-LAX on NZ, connecting to LAX-YYC on AC (~3 hour connection in LAX)
Ideally I'd like to be able to credit at least one of the AC segments to AC so I can potentially use AC eupgrades and earn a few AC miles, but I need the longer segments credited to UA. I'm hoping the stopover on the outbound flight makes this a bit easier to be able to credit these separately, as I'd have ~26 hours between flights, so I'll need to check in separately for the flights. Any thoughts or experience on whether I'll be able to credit the AC segment separately, particularly for the outbound flight?
Old Sep 30, 2019, 5:50 pm

The easiest solution: Don't include any FF info in your booking and either ask at the CI desk to put it in or retro claim. I'm aware that this may not solve all of your problems but I can't think of a way to include two different FF programs in a single ticket. Others may, though...
Old Oct 2, 2019, 3:24 pm

Programs: LH SEN *
Yes, the best strategy is to get a clean BP at OLCI and then retro claim each segment to add your selected FFP.
Old Oct 3, 2019, 7:01 pm

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
If the segments are book with operating airline flight number (i.e. AC, NZ, NZ. AC), then this should be possible to do by having the agent specify the FQTV for AC to be AC and for NZ to be UA. It may even be possible by segment. If it's booked as codeshares (i.e. NZ*AC, NZ, NZ, NZ*AC). then it's much harder to do.

Whether you will get a competent agent from NZ who knows how to do this is a different matter.
Old Oct 3, 2019, 9:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KLouis
The easiest solution: Don't include any FF info in your booking and either ask at the CI desk to put it in or retro claim. I'm aware that this may not solve all of your problems but I can't think of a way to include two different FF programs in a single ticket. Others may, though...
Originally Posted by andywaw
Yes, the best strategy is to get a clean BP at OLCI and then retro claim each segment to add your selected FFP.
Yeah, I had thought of that, but I'd also like to use some AC eupgrade credits for the first segment, and you need to have the AC FF number to be able to request an upgrade. I guess it's an option if I want to forego using upgrade credits.

Originally Posted by D582
If the segments are book with operating airline flight number (i.e. AC, NZ, NZ. AC), then this should be possible to do by having the agent specify the FQTV for AC to be AC and for NZ to be UA. It may even be possible by segment. If it's booked as codeshares (i.e. NZ*AC, NZ, NZ, NZ*AC). then it's much harder to do.

Whether you will get a competent agent from NZ who knows how to do this is a different matter.
Yes, it's ticketed using the operating carrier flight numbers, so the AC segment is AC, and NZ segment is a NZ flight number. For the outbound, I'll actually need to check in first with AC for the AC segment and then I'll need to check in separately with NZ in LAX for the NZ segment, as it's >24 hours between the flights. Thanks for the suggestion on the FQTV field.
Old Oct 4, 2019, 4:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

On the outbound it should be easy. Just put the AC number in (and request the upgrade) then change it at the counter in LAX to your UA number.

The return is trickier. But if you're willing to not worry about the upgrades on that flight it shouldn't be much trouble.
Old Oct 4, 2019, 8:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sbm12
On the outbound it should be easy. Just put the AC number in (and request the upgrade) then change it at the counter in LAX to your UA number.

The return is trickier. But if you're willing to not worry about the upgrades on that flight it shouldn't be much trouble.
Thanks for the info. Yeah, I was thinking the outbound would be easier, and I only have enough AC eupgrades to upgrade one direction, so I'll aim for the outbound to credit the AC segment to AC. Not too fussed about the return, so I'll likely end up crediting the return to UA.
Old Nov 13, 2019, 8:58 am

Originally Posted by sbm12

sorry but could I ask why you mentioned that the return is trickier ?

I could be wrong but I thought nothing stops is from changing our FPP when we check in for the return?

e.g. could we not do as below

outbound
segment 1 - FPP A (input FPP via OLCI)
segment 2 - FPP B (change at transit desk)

return
segment 3 - FPP A (input FPP via OLCI)
segment 4 - FPP A
Old Nov 20, 2019, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Keep in mind, once you credit something to Aeroplan, this cannot be undone.
I've had things credit to Aeroplan even when I was certain I removed it, and replaced it with another FFP.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.