Search

Round the World

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2019, 12:35 pm
sfo
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM *Gold, Accor Silver
Round the World

Am thinking of booking RTW flying BC. I have been looking at doing this booking on the Star Alliance web site I would appreciate comments as to whether this is the best place to do it. Thanks
Old Mar 14, 2019, 2:25 pm

If you are looking for a paid ticket: yes.If you are inexperienced it might be better to use a specialized travel agent.
You will also find a lot of information in this forum.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 4:11 pm
sfo
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Unterwegs
If you are looking for a paid ticket: yes.If you are inexperienced it might be better to use a specialized travel agent.
You will also find a lot of information in this forum.
Yes, it will be paid travel, I could do award travel but would like to get the miles from this.
For what I want to do right now it is quoting CAD $12,000.00 in BC. I am going to look at this from SEA, perhaps the USD amount will be less.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sfo
Am thinking of booking RTW flying BC. I have been looking at doing this booking on the Star Alliance web site I would appreciate comments as to whether this is the best place to do it. Thanks
Originally Posted by sfo
Will be doing award travel, sorry I forgot to mention this in the OP
That makes a massive difference
What ffp's do you have ff miles with? What rules do they have for awards?

Many ffp's now do not allow stopovers on awards, so will be point to point

Consider these Award booking services - a list and some reviews

Edit
OP changed post 3 from award to paid as I was replying

https://www.staralliance.com/en/round-the-world
Old Mar 14, 2019, 4:42 pm
sfo
Original Poster

If it was award travel it would be through UA I imagine. I have 1,3M miles

Thanks Mwenenzi, for the link above, that is the link I am looking at for paid travel.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Unsure if Star still have RTW mileage based tickets
Typical? https://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/round-the-world-fares

https://www.airtravelgenius.com/roun...-tickets/#star
<snip>
5. Star Alliance Round The World Tickets
Star Alliance offers 3 mileage based Round-The-World tickets – with a maximum of 29,000 miles (RWSTAR1), 34,000 miles (RWSTAR2) and 39,000 miles (RWSTAR3). These are available in economy, premium economy, business class and first class.
<snip>
Cost will vary by route, due to real government/regulatory/airport fees

With 1.3M UA ff miles I would be looking to spend some. They will not increase in value.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 9:05 pm
sfo
Original Poster

Yes, I know and at my age, I can't take them with me. Maybe a BC flight to heaven :-)
I prefer to use the miles for European BC trips from Vancouver.
Anyway thanks for your advice with the trip I have sort of planned would fall under the RWSTAR1, I might look at PE also.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 7:59 am

Look at different starting points. Last time I checked Japan and Korea were the best points. The base price depends on the starting points, taxes and fees depend on the routing. You could use miles to position there. You have one year after the first flight to finish the ticket.
Generally I find the award RTW are a relatively bad value (not sure about the UA program) and also very difficult to find space for. Paid tickets allow a lot of flexibility (free date changes, routing changes for a reasonable fee) and space is easy to find.
sfo and Yoshi212 like this.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 8:43 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
If you are going to fly to Asia again within the next year, I would recommend using your miles to fly from SEA to NRT/HND, then purchasing your STAR RTW starting in Japan.
Use the RTW to travel Asia/Africa/Europe or wherever you intend to travel, then back home to SEA; and use the last leg SEA-Japan to start your next trip if within the year.
This will be much cheaper than starting in the USA.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 10:16 am

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Unless there has been a change, the Star Alliance website RTW tickets always come out on Lufthansa ticket stock. If you are looking for United mileage you may earn a fair bit more if the ticket is issued by UA. The ticket stock is on the carrier with the first long haul overseas segment. If you call United they can also issue the ticket themselves provided they have the first long haul segment. It would definitely be best to use the Star Alliance online tool to plan what you want, check the mileage and fare, and then provide this to your travel agency or airline (especially if you are trying to maximize mileage earning). Otherwise LH has always given me great service and I would pick them to issue the ticket over anyone except United.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 10:25 pm

Programs: SQ PPS, KLM Platinum, Air Berlin gold, HHonors Gold, SPG gold
I found the *A RTW site to be a good start for planning my itinerary and estimating costs. For the booking itself, I wrote my itinerary and options down in an email for SQ and then called them. They will take some time to book and quality of agents vary greatly (some have never booked a RTW for eg) and I imagine this is the same for other partners. So tell them exact flights and times, and book early to ensure availability. There are also many itinerary rules you need to be aware of, so read the RTW TnC doc first:

https://www.staralliance.com/en/round-the-world?view=tc
Old Mar 25, 2019, 6:20 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, EK Gold, CX Silver
In addition to the excellent advice above, note that there are more restrictive booking classes now, than previously. This makes *A RTW a little harder to book, and much harder to change.

I don't believe there is any upfare option (to pay more) if you can't get the booking class you need (eg Z for UA)
Old Jul 30, 2019, 7:09 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3 MM+, BA (very) Blue, CO nobody
Where would I look to book a paid RTW ticket in Y?
TIA
Old Jul 31, 2019, 1:12 am

Originally Posted by Paulchili
Where would I look to book a paid RTW ticket in Y?
TIA
You can either use the link 2 posts above yours or use a specialized travel agent. Personally I prefer dealing with an TA since I usually change the RTW once or twice. A good TA is well worth the fees in such a situation.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 11:42 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 3 MM+, BA (very) Blue, CO nobody
Originally Posted by Unterwegs
You can either use the link 2 posts above yours or use a specialized travel agent. Personally I prefer dealing with an TA since I usually change the RTW once or twice. A good TA is well worth the fees in such a situation.
Thank you.
I have tried the above link but I don’t seem to be able to get through to the end - not sure what I am doing wrong.
Perhaps dealing with an agent is best.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.