Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

UA v NZ for transatlantic business

Old Jul 28, 19, 3:56 am
Original Poster

Hi all,

Looking to redeem miles on transatlantic business class - my options are either NZ (LHR to LAX, looks like its always the same plane) or UA (LHR to SFO, UA900 which appears to be the new Polaris business class seats).

That's for the outbound, return looks like it will be LH whatever I do, I can't find availability on anything else.

Any views on which to go with? I'm getting the impression that the NZ product is somewhat old now and it might be better to go with UA? I don't see NZ listed on lists of top transatlantic business class products these days.

Thanks!

Peter
Old Jul 28, 19, 9:43 am
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.8MM 1K , HHonors Gold, Marriott Plat (hah!), Best Western Plat, Hertz #1 Gold PC, Avis Preferred
The NZ seat is not the most comfortable across the Atlantic, and of course you only have the LHR-LAX route. However, in-flight service and IFE are a lot better than on UA, and the food and wine are miles better!

Return on LH will be either via FRA (an amazingly long walk!) or MUC (can be shorter, but sometimes almost as long). If you can manage to find LH F availability (preferably on a 380), I'd go for that.