Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

*A RTW Redemption in Business Class with Krisflyer

Old Jul 19, 19, 7:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: OZ Platinum LifeTime; DL PM; VA Gold; HH Diamond; Accor Gold

I was able to confirm and ticket two *A RTW J redemptions through Krisflyer yesterday for a trip from March-June 2020 with my wife.

To be honest, there wasn't a whole lot of information on *A RTW redemptions with KF miles, and what information there was made it sound like a difficult process. Indeed, some travel blogs have variously described a *A RTW J redemption with KF miles as "the Holy Grail" or "the unicorn". So it was with some trepidation and quite a bit of prior searching and planning that I rang up.

There seemed to be no problem at all. The only thing the SQ agent asked for which I hadn't done was a saved itinerary through the *A website. Didn't have to include dates or flights...just the cities. Also, despite reports that SQ will not allow any backtracking at all, my one segment with a significant backtrack seemed to have no issues at all.

So my itinerary:
SYD-SIN-LAX (SQ)
EWR-EZE (UA)
EZE-GRU (ET)
GRU-LIS (TP)
LHR-ICN (OZ)
ICN-SYD (OZ)

Total miles: 34,637

It may be I just got a very good agent and struck it lucky, but it was a very smooth process. Took about 30 minutes over the phone, passed my credit card details over for the taxes and surcharges, and woke up this morning to the confirmed tickets in my email inbox.
PiperAtGatesofDawn likes this.
Old Jul 19, 19, 8:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL PM
Nice itinerary, grats on getting it all booked in J on miles. Quite curious how much tax & surcharge ended up being on that if you don't mind sharing. Good info for people considering credit card point transfers to one program that doesn't charge (UA) vs those that do (nearly everyone else).
Old Jul 19, 19, 11:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: OZ Platinum LifeTime; DL PM; VA Gold; HH Diamond; Accor Gold
It priced at just over SGD$700 per person.

Using the *A RTW planner tool, the exact same itinerary priced at AUD$36,900 for 2 pax. So taking into account the taxes and surcharges, my points worked out at being worth about 7c each, which I think is pretty good value for a redemption.
dvs7310 likes this.
Old Jul 20, 19, 6:07 am

Programs: UA 1K, DL PM
Originally Posted by sol95 View Post
It priced at just over SGD$700 per person.

Using the *A RTW planner tool, the exact same itinerary priced at AUD$36,900 for 2 pax. So taking into account the taxes and surcharges, my points worked out at being worth about 7c each, which I think is pretty good value for a redemption.
I'd also say that's quite a good value. SG$700 isn't bad either considering what it would cost in terms of miles to do the same thing with surcharge free UA miles now (since true RTW redemptions are gone, plus no SQ J on UA miles). I've seen several areas where KrisFlyer miles look to be quite a good value on premium awards.

Search this Thread