FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Star Alliance (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/star-alliance-413/)
-   -   Star Alliance BA Gold Status Match (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/star-alliance/1978332-star-alliance-ba-gold-status-match.html)

andymcdonnell Jul 16, 2019 9:39 am

Star Alliance BA Gold Status Match

Anyone have recent success matching BA Gold to a Star Alliance carrier? I know United offer the status challenge but looking for something where I get Star Gold for a bit longer than 3 months

craigthemif Jul 16, 2019 9:43 am

Turkish give you 4 months, extendable to a full year with a flight on TK metal.

I'm not aware of any airlines giving 100% free status matches these days. They all require some effort.

englisha Jul 16, 2019 9:45 am

Originally Posted by andymcdonnell (Post 31309452)
Anyone have recent success matching BA Gold to a Star Alliance carrier? I know United offer the status challenge but looking for something where I get Star Gold for a bit longer than 3 months

Just did a match to Turkish airlines from BA gold. Sent photo of BA card, passport and BA statement and was matched in 48 hours....well 4 months, extended to 1 year with 1 international flight.

andymcdonnell Jul 16, 2019 10:01 am

Originally Posted by englisha (Post 31309475)
Just did a match to Turkish airlines from BA gold. Sent photo of BA card, passport and BA statement and was matched in 48 hours....well 4 months, extended to 1 year with 1 international flight.

Great. How did you contact them? And without sounding stupid, where do you get your BA Statement?

ajeleonard Jul 16, 2019 10:16 am

Do they match you to M&S Elite or Elite Plus?

craigthemif Jul 16, 2019 10:16 am

https://insideflyer.co.uk/2017/11/mi...-status-match/

Far more detail than can be replicated here. There's also a lengthy thread on the TK forum.

WickedStepMother Jul 16, 2019 11:15 am

Originally Posted by ajeleonard (Post 31309598)

Does that status mean the BoB trolley calls at your seat first? ;)

sgorlx Jul 16, 2019 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by ajeleonard (Post 31309598)

They match you Elite which is Star Alliance Gold: you have lounge access (can guest another person), fast track and priority boarding, but with *Alliance you can’t reserve the seats (unless you pay). I’m soon flying with TK in order to have another 8 months and then if you want another 12 months of status you need to collect a total of 24k status miles (TK metal).

theultimateflyer Jul 16, 2019 10:39 pm

Originally Posted by sgorlx (Post 31310398)

They match you Elite which is Star Alliance Gold: you have lounge access (can guest another person), fast track and priority boarding, but with *Alliance you can’t reserve the seats (unless you pay). I’m soon flying with TK in order to have another 8 months and then if you want another 12 months of status you need to collect a total of 24k status miles (TK metal).

i wonder if they would match OW Sapphire to that as well, given that the benefits are largely the seem

BAEC Jul 17, 2019 1:38 am

There is a website dedicated to status matching airlines, hotels etc. Below is link to BA.

First section is BAEC to other FF Programs
Second section is other FF Programs to BA

British Airways Status Match | StatusMatcher

I used this a few years back and got TK Status Equivalent to Star Alliance Gold for 2 Years, after 2 years of no Stat Alliance Flights, TK soft landed me to Star Alliance Silver

sgorlx Jul 17, 2019 6:46 am

Correction: it is 15K and not 24K to keep the status for 2 years – this is the e-mail TK Customer Relations Center sent me : “Elite Status Match was done as per your request in your feedback, and your membership account number TK000000000 has been shifted to the Elite status. The Elite card trial period is 4 months. Subsequent to the inclusion of an international flight you will perform with Turkish Airlines within the first 4 months following the beginning of your Elite membership in your account, your trial period will be extended for 8 months and regarded valid for one year in total. If you earn 15,000 status miles in Turkish Airlines international line flights in the first year of your Elite membership, your membership will be extended for one year, and it will be valid for two years in total.

The Elite card holder members are entitled to enter the CIP lounges in all domestic and international flights. In addition to this, the companion tickets are 50% discounted and you are entitled to 20 kg extra baggage in Business flights. You are allowed to use the Business class passenger counter for check-in for the domestic and international flights. Besides, the Business class flights earn more status miles.

The Elite card holder members can enjoy the rights equal to the Star Alliance Gold level in the Star Alliance flights. In addition to this, the Elite members are given priority in the baggage delivery, booking, airline waiter lists, and check-in and boarding queues.”. OW Sapphire is not going to give you any good benefits with *Alliance but do try (don't waist your time with TAP Air Portugal as they don't even match BAEC Gold with TAP Silver!!!) . Try a Hotel chain I think United gives a challenge with Marriott Bonvoy Platinum. The website BAEC posted has all the information. Good luck!!

dvs7310 Jul 19, 2019 2:39 am

Originally Posted by sgorlx (Post 31312781)
Try a Hotel chain I think United gives a challenge with Marriott Bonvoy Platinum. The website BAEC posted has all the information. Good luck!!

The United and Marriott partnership is a complete match, however it's not as rosy as it sounds. United Premier gold and higher get Marriott Bonvoy Gold, a relatively worthless status now. Marriott Bonvoy Titanium and up get United Silver, an equally worthless status. It's one of those things that you may as well take if you are eligible but neither are worth pursuit.

Dover2Golf Jul 19, 2019 5:42 am

Originally Posted by theultimateflyer (Post 31311822)

i wonder if they would match OW Sapphire to that as well, given that the benefits are largely the seem

The answer to that one is no. oneworld sapphires often perceive the value of that to be the same as *A Gold but that's not how the *A carriers see it!

sgorlx Jul 19, 2019 5:54 am

Indeed you (dvs7310 ) are right. But when I decided that I needed status with *Alliance I did research on the internet and made some phone calls, and I remember that I got the info that with Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, they would give me the status as long as I got a certain amount of qualifying miles with them during the first 3 months. In my situation it would be 4 sectors from Lisbon to USA (East coast). It would be impossible as I'm a leisure travel and my holidays are already taken, the only time I have available right now are weekends.

dvs7310 Jul 19, 2019 7:19 pm

Originally Posted by sgorlx (Post 31320057)
Indeed you (dvs7310 ) are right. But when I decided that I needed status with *Alliance I did research on the internet and made some phone calls, and I remember that I got the info that with Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, they would give me the status as long as I got a certain amount of qualifying miles with them during the first 3 months. In my situation it would be 4 sectors from Lisbon to USA (East coast). It would be impossible as I'm a leisure travel and my holidays are already taken, the only time I have available right now are weekends.

Ok, understand. So you got access to the challenge for Gold or higher via your Marriott status. That's interesting as I didn't know UA allowed hotel programs for the challenge, but certainly useful for a lot of people.