Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Which airline is responsible for transferring bags between two members?

Old Jul 15, 19, 4:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA scum/0.699MM, WN ALP/CP, Hyatt Diamond, MR/SPG Gold,Hertz PC, National EE, Carlson Silver

Trying to figure out if it is the first airlines responsibility to get the bags to the second airline, or if the second airline is responsible for retrieving from the first

Airlines I'm concerned with are UA and CM at Denver

Thanks
Old Jul 15, 19, 4:39 am

Programs: UA 1K (2MM),AS MVP Gold 75K, AA Exec Plat, BA Gold, DL Plat Medallion, MH Enrich Platinum
If bags checked through the final carrier is responsible.
Old Jul 15, 19, 5:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA scum/0.699MM, WN ALP/CP, Hyatt Diamond, MR/SPG Gold,Hertz PC, National EE, Carlson Silver
That didn't actually answer the question. For example if there are three airlines - UA, LH, and TG going lax-ord-fra-bkk how can Thai be responsible for the bag transfer in ORD?

You're quoting the rules on which is liable. I want to know who physically has to do the transfer at the airport.
Old Jul 15, 19, 7:31 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
The airlines have procedures for getting the baggage to the next interlining carrier. If things fail the carrier which was supposed to deliver you the bags at the final destination is supposed to sort out the problems with you. They theoretically are supposed to sort out the cost etc with the carrier who issued the baggage tag and accepted the baggage from you at the origin, but the pragmatic solution is that they pay up in the hope that in the future or in the past a similar thing will happen to the other interlining carrier.
Old Jul 15, 19, 9:36 am

Programs: UA 1K (2MM),AS MVP Gold 75K, AA Exec Plat, BA Gold, DL Plat Medallion, MH Enrich Platinum
Originally Posted by jasonvr View Post
That didn't actually answer the question. For example if there are three airlines - UA, LH, and TG going lax-ord-fra-bkk how can Thai be responsible for the bag transfer in ORD?

You're quoting the rules on which is liable. I want to know who physically has to do the transfer at the airport.
The ground baggage staff do the transfers on behalf of the airline you flew on. In your examples UA (employee or contractor) loads the plane at LAX, UA (employee or contractor) transfers to the LH plane. LH contractor loads their plane in ORD. LH contractor transfers to TG plane in FRA, TG contractor loads their planes. Claims are handled by the final delivering carrier who is also responsible for paying the passenger for claims.
Old Jul 15, 19, 11:49 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold

Both airlines have to. So UA staff will unload the UA plane and hand over to LH staff in ORD. Similarly LH staff will unload the LH plane in FRA and hand over TG staff. Very simply LH staff can’t go poking around a UA aircraft or TG staff around a LH aircraft. Similarly UA staff can’t load the LH plane or LH the TG plane.

As a passenger you’re not expected to know if your baggage has been transferred by UA or LH or TG correctly, so you file claims with the last airline in that route. But your question isn’t around claims I guess.
Old Jul 15, 19, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PiperAtGatesofDawn View Post
Both airlines have to. So UA staff will unload the UA plane and hand over to LH staff in ORD. Similarly LH staff will unload the LH plane in FRA and hand over TG staff. Very simply LH staff can’t go poking around a UA aircraft or TG staff around a LH aircraft. Similarly UA staff can’t load the LH plane or LH the TG plane..
Or more likely in the automated bag handling conveyor systems in airport basements, the bar code on the bag tag is scanned and a computer (PLC DSC) directs to bag onto another conveyor for the next airline. Some time bags fall off/jamb on conveyors and/or the bar code in not able to be read.

The last airline is always responsible for delivering the bag, even if they never received it.
lhrpete likes this.
Old Jul 15, 19, 6:41 pm
Original Poster

Thanks all. I've already started the claim process with CM. But I'm also trying to assign blame. I got some info from the UA office in Quito and it sounds like they didn't give the bags to CM until after we left even though there was plenty of time and the bags were priority tagged

I still don't have my bags in Quito and now I'm on a boat. Last I heard the bags were still in Denver, so it might be at least 48 hours with my bags sitting motionless without anyone actually trying to get them to me

I got quoted something like $600 to have someone get the bags from the airport and then get them to me on the boat. If it goes that way, someone is going to reimburse me even if it involves a lawyer
Old Jul 15, 19, 6:49 pm

...{long snip}...If it goes that way, someone is going to reimburse me even if it involves a lawyer
I love it when I see optimistic people!
Old Jul 15, 19, 6:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks all. I've already started the claim process with CM. But I'm also trying to assign blame.
Not your problem nor will that help get your bags
Have a world tracer lost bag number?
https://wtrweb.worldtracer.aero
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WorldTracer

The rules & compensation for lost bags are well defined. And by buying an air ticket you agreed to them

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warsaw_Convention
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montreal_Convention
Lost baggage
The Montreal Convention changes and generally increases the maximum liability of airlines for lost baggage to a fixed amount 1,131 SDR per passenger (the amount in the Warsaw Convention is based on weight of the baggage). It requires airlines to fully compensate travelers the cost of replacement items purchased until the baggage is delivered, to a maximum of 1,131 SDR. At 21 days any delayed baggage is considered lost, until the airline finds and delivers it.

Search this Thread