Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Star Alliance warm direct destination in October 🙂

Old Jun 12, 19, 8:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mileage Plus

Firstly apologies if iíve posted this in the wrong forum but put it down to me being a newbie

So my wife has her 40th in October and Iím looking to use up a substantial amount of my Mileage Plus taking my wife and 2 kids away for a week somewhere hot

Problem is it has to be somewhere we can fly direct and have a beach resort nearby
I did think Thai Airlines and then get a car to Pattaya but really iíd love to hear suggestions of every possible option

Im UK based so it would be flying out of the UK
Obviously US is an option but weíre talking October so hot spots in the US

So in short the criteria is direct with a Star Alliance airline,hot (mildly warm to satisfy),beach easily accessible and all of these things being in October

No pressure 😉

Thanks all
Old Jun 12, 19, 11:12 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hertz PC, BAEC Silver
As you are looking beyond the Med, and in the US South only, it's fairly easy to look at your options:

UA/NZ to LAX, which could still be warm-ish
SA to Jo'burg but no beach
SQ to Singapore - ditto
Thai to Bangkok
TK to Istanbul but in the Med
Ethiopian to Addis Ababa
Egyptair to Cairo.

From that list, Thai looks like the best bet.
Old Jun 12, 19, 6:42 pm

A family trip to Pattaya? I guess you have not yet read anything about your destination. Without elaborating, I'd suggest you read the corresponding Wikipedia article or, if you're more of a visual type, do search Youtube with the keyword Pattaya and look at any video that is returned.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jun 12, 19, 7:24 pm

https://www.google.com/flights#flt=/...1748438625;t:e

Origin: London (feel free to change this)
Destination: not set
Times: 1 week trip in Oct
Nonstop on Star alliance airlines

(of course you could redeem miles on non-*A with UA miles, but this gives you a sense of potential candidates)
Old Jun 12, 19, 11:02 pm

To put it more bluntly, unless you and the wife and kids are into hookers, scratch Pattaya off your list. The concept of driving a rental car to Pattaya is just plain funny :-)
nancypants likes this.
Old Jun 13, 19, 12:22 pm

Why not go to the Greek islands (Santorini, Crete), the Turkish Riveria (Bodrum, Antalya), or Tel Aviv? All will be warm and beautiful in October, and the Med will still be warm. It's a lot closer than Thailand, renting a car and driving will be no problem, and A3/TK are both solid *A carriers.

https://santorinidave.com/best-time-to-visit-greece
Old Jun 13, 19, 2:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL PM
Can I ask why it has to be direct? Why not a quick transfer in FRA or ZRH? That opens you up to so many more options like GIG (Rio), GRU (Sao Paulo), and EZE (Buenos Aires). You could also consider AV with a quick transfer in BOG and get to any of the several Colombian beach cities on an hour hop from BOG.

Given your limited options on non-stops from LHR, BKK is your only viable option for warm beach but Pattaya is gonna be a shocker for you with family. You'd be far better served again taking a connection to Koh Samui or Krabi if Thailand is going to be your destination.
Old Jun 14, 19, 9:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mileage Plus
Thanks for the catch up
And yes Pattaya was a very long shot 😉

So wife and 2 young kids iíd rather go direct and believe me thatíll be enough because otherwise I would have them going all over (my wish list &#128521

Well looking at it now the school break has now shown up as last week of October so even more challenging for a warm break !!
Old Jun 16, 19, 1:02 am

Originally Posted by Covedweller View Post
Thanks for the catch up
And yes Pattaya was a very long shot ��

So wife and 2 young kids i’d rather go direct and believe me that’ll be enough because otherwise I would have them going all over (my wish list ��)

Well looking at it now the school break has now shown up as last week of October so even more challenging for a warm break !!
Certainly understand the convenience of wanting non-stop with the kids, but being based at a non-*A hub airport and virtually all *A airlines not having hubs at warm beach cites does present a problem. If only CM (Copa) had long range aircraft.

You can take a ferry from Singapore to come places in Indonesia, but not sure any of the destinations are good for beaches or not. Also the chances of finding 4 award seats on SQ with UA miles is somewhere approaching zero.

The Med isn't really that warm in October in my opinion, but that's your other potential non-stop, giving you Croatia, Greece, or Turkey, though in the case of Turkey you'd still want to get further afield than Istanbul which requires another flight. Greek islands are accessible by ferry, and Croatia is small enough to navigate by car. You "can" get private drivers in Egypt to take you from Cairo to Sharm el Sheikh or Hurghada but I wouldn't, it's a long boring ride through the desert and the beaches are pretty crap, both are better left as diving or snorkeling destinations.
Old Jun 16, 19, 2:08 am

Programs: QF gold-> platinum
Singapore could work if you fancy Sentosa
Old Jun 22, 19, 12:25 am

Programs: United 1K 1MM, Marriott Rewards Gold, Hilton HHonors Silver
Thailand is a good option. And from the UK you have non stop options LHR-BKK on both TG and BR. And overall BR has better service, though both are good. From BKK you can then take TG to beach places (Phuket is the obvious option) likely on separate tickets. But you can also get there on LCCs pretty cheaply on LCCs (AirAsia and NOK) for EasyJet/RyanAir prices and EasyJet service.

With separate tix an overnight in Bangkok is recommended. But if you havenít been there Iíd spend a couple of days in Bangkok. A wonderful city with great culture.

Whatever you choose, have a great trip.
Old Jun 22, 19, 7:26 am

Flying to BKK and then taking a flight to Phuket kills the concept of a non-stop. As others have stated, out of London, the best bet is to connect at any Star * member hub like Frankfurt and go on for there. I do not recommend flying through the US to get to the Caribbean or Latin America since you have to go through US Immigration and Customs and then have to deal with TSA, just to make a connecting flight.
Old Jun 23, 19, 11:09 am

Originally Posted by catocony View Post
Flying to BKK and then taking a flight to Phuket kills the concept of a non-stop. As others have stated, out of London, the best bet is to connect at any Star * member hub like Frankfurt and go on for there. I do not recommend flying through the US to get to the Caribbean or Latin America since you have to go through US Immigration and Customs and then have to deal with TSA, just to make a connecting flight.
For that matter, they don't even need to go to a nearby *A hub. Actually FRA is not the ideal suggestion if the OP is already adamant about avoiding a connecting flight, it's a really crap airport for connecting. ZRH is much better and servers most of the same beach-y destinations that LH does. But to my original point there are tons of options out there once you get over the impossibility of a beach destination non-stop on Star Alliance from LHR. AV via BOG serves some very nice beaches on Colombia's Caribbean coast plus some islands, LH and LX hit a fair few all over the world. TG is perfect as you can connect to KBV (Krabi) or USM (Koh Samui), though HKT (Phuket) is another rotten armpit of the country and better avoided with family. TG via BKK is very convenient as Thailand has a streamlined immigration and customs procedure for connecting passengers. Inbound you do immigration at BKK, go through a dedicated transit lane, then customs at your final destination (KBV, USM, etc.), then outbound, you do your immigration at the airport of origin and skip it entirely at BKK. Thailand has quite a good system in place to get inbound tourists out to the beach destinations with minimal disruption, going into Bangkok city from BKK is much much more hassle (long immigration queues, traffic, and transportation) than connecting to a 1h flight to the beach airports (dedicated immigration for transit which takes all of 60 seconds vs an hour or more at times in the main queue to exit the airport).

Other interesting thoughts once accepting that a transit somewhere is nearly necessary: ET and TK both go to the Seychelles, though neither airport is a gem for int-int transit. ET also goes to the Comoros Islands now, a fairly off the beaten path beach destination. SA and TK both go to Mauritius, but you'd be in their spring time there and as it's fairly far south, not sure how hot it is. (plus JNB-MRU is nearly non-existent as an award ticket though TK is much more generous)

Given the realistic options that exist, myself, I'd most likely do Koh Samui or Krabi (Railay Beach or Phi Phi islands) in Thailand; Colombia at Santa Marta, Barranquilla, or Cartagena; the Seychelles; or maybe Brazil (though beaches near Sao Paulo are bad, have to go to Rio or else take a domestic flight, thinking like Florianůpolis or even Punta del Este in Uruguay).

If a connection is absolutely not something the OP can tolerate then they'd be better off writing the beach off this year and doing something different. Disneyland in LA for example, hiking in the Swiss alps, exploring the oddities of Japan (October is absolutely lovely here). Then start realigning mileage earning to AA to fly on BA in the future, as they hit loads of beach cities from London non-stop. (can't recommend BA's Executive Club for long haul travel, it's pretty bad now compared to AA and you'll pay the same extortionist fuel surcharges from both for BA flights).
Old Jun 23, 19, 4:52 pm

I used Franfurt as an example. The point is there are many Star Alliance carriers with major hubs within a short 1-2 hour flight from London.

If anyone is reluctant to transfer at Frankfurt or another major European hub, I doubt if they'll like transferring in Thailand.