FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Star Alliance (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/star-alliance-413/)
-   -   Thai Smile to join as Connecting Member (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/star-alliance/1972238-thai-smile-join-connecting-member.html)

sbm12 Jun 1, 2019 5:25 pm

Thai Smile to join as Connecting Member

Just announced at the IATA AGM this morning in Seoul. Expected to be fully integrated by the end of the year.

ETA:

I wrote a bit more about the Thai Smile news since it initially dropped:

From the sound of things *A is going to be pushing hard to get other LCC subsidiaries to make a similar move. Unclear how the economics of that will play out, but they're trying.

Santander Jun 2, 2019 10:22 am

UA customers can select seats on AC? :confused:

mahasamatman Jun 2, 2019 5:52 pm

Originally Posted by Santander (Post 31162927)
UA customers can select seats on AC?

That's been true for quite some time.

oliver2002 Jun 4, 2019 2:48 am

Connecting member means squat. Look at Yuneyao's 'full' integration... all that comes of it is interling and intergration for ticketing, no *A FFP benefits at all. Thai smile will probably give lounge access in BKK and other stations where TG has lounges.

sbm12 Jun 6, 2019 5:51 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002 (Post 31168514)
no *A FFP benefits at all.

This is not accurate. *G pax on connecting itineraries receive priority check-in, lounge access and priority baggage handling.

We can debate if those benefits are valuable or not, but those are the typical *G benefits and they do apply for the new partner.

uanj Jun 6, 2019 6:50 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002 (Post 31168514)
Connecting member means squat. Look at Yuneyao's 'full' integration... all that comes of it is interling and intergration for ticketing, no *A FFP benefits at all. Thai smile will probably give lounge access in BKK and other stations where TG has lounges.

I have found Juneyao staff very knowledgeable about providing benefits when connecting on a Star flight. The confusion comes in on the passenger side when a stand alone flight is booked (which is not entitled to any Star benefits).

zeer0 Jun 6, 2019 8:54 pm

This is useful for anyone flying into Thailand beyond Bangkok. However, it would be a lot more useful if the *G benefits also applied to all Thai Smile tickets, not just ones with other *A segments.

usbusinesstraveller Jun 7, 2019 2:04 am

It's better than nothing. While it won’t benefit United frequent fliers (aka me) it will help other Star fliers that connect at BKK. Thai has added (and switched TG to) WE in several markets, notably India so there’s a benefit there.

HKT CPH Jun 11, 2019 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by zeer0 (Post 31178243)
This is useful for anyone flying into Thailand beyond Bangkok. However, it would be a lot more useful if the *G benefits also applied to all Thai Smile tickets, not just ones with other *A segments.

3/5 I had Thai smile ticket from BKK to HKT, i use my *G in Royal Orchid lounge without problem

nldogbert Feb 27, 2020 7:18 am

Now officially a partner

Just read that Thai Smile is now officially a connecting partner
https://www.businesstraveller.com/bu...61db-162932177

https://www.thaismileair.com/en/star-alliance-cp

One item which is unclear are the additional benefits.. I think Star Alliance should be clear/make it uniform about this, currently from what I understand, it is up to the connecting carrier to decide what are the additional benefits, which means it can lead to confusions (and arguments).

Cheers!

Xiaotung Feb 27, 2020 10:41 pm

On 25 February 2020, THAI Smile Airways became the second Connecting Partner of Star Alliance. Since then, customers enjoy the following:
  1. Members of Thai Airways Intl. Royal Orchid Plus and members of the Austrian, Lufthansa and SWISS Miles & More Frequent Flyer Programmes may accrue and redeem miles on flights operated by THAI Smile Airways.
  2. All passengers, regardless of their FFP status, connecting between THAI Smile and Austrian, Lufthansa, SWISS and Thai Airways under a single booking can be checked through with their bags to their final destination.
  3. Star Alliance Silver Cardholders connecting between THAI Smile and Austrian, Lufthansa, SWISS or Thai Airways under a single booking may enjoy the following privileges*:
    • Priority Airport Standby
    • Priority Reservations Waitlist
  4. In addition to Silver card holder privileges*, Star Alliance Gold Card holders connecting between THAI Smile and Austrian, Lufthansa, SWISS or THAI Airways under a single booking may enjoy:
    • Priority Airport Check-in
    • Extra Baggage Allowance
    • Gold Track Security and Immigration
    • Airport Lounge Access
    • Priority Boarding
    • Priority Baggage Handling
*Star Alliance Silver and Gold customers may be asked to show a valid Star Alliance Gold or Silver card (e.g. digital or physical FFP card) and proof of a connecting itinerary to access eligible privileges.

zeer0 Feb 28, 2020 3:31 pm

Bizarre that this only applies to LH group carriers...