Cheap OW from PDX to AMS?

Old May 6, 19, 5:07 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: PDX
Programs: Don't think it matters...
Posts: 4,989
Cheap OW from PDX to AMS?

So because of the Jet Airways bankruptcy fiasco, need to book a OW from PDX to AMS between 1st - 20th June. I have Amex , Chase and Citi points and can transfer to their relevant airline partners. United does not seem to have any saver availability for any date for this range. Any other *A partner which has decent rates between US West coast and Europe?
Which ffp should I transfer to for a OW from PDX to AMS for the above date range. Looking for a cheap miles requirement and not the most value (i.e - not first class ). As long as I am able to transfer miles from one of these 3 CC issuer's, its fine.
Thanks for your help.
abhilife2001 is offline  
Old May 6, 19, 5:35 pm
  #2  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Shanghai
Posts: 30,162
Originally Posted by abhilife2001 View Post
So because of the Jet Airways bankruptcy fiasco, need to book a OW from PDX to AMS between 1st - 20th June. I have Amex , Chase and Citi points and can transfer to their relevant airline partners. United does not seem to have any saver availability for any date for this range. Any other *A partner which has decent rates between US West coast and Europe?
Which ffp should I transfer to for a OW from PDX to AMS for the above date range. Looking for a cheap miles requirement and not the most value (i.e - not first class ). As long as I am able to transfer miles from one of these 3 CC issuer's, its fine.
Thanks for your help.
Why not fly DL nonstop?
moondog is offline  
Old May 6, 19, 8:56 pm
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: PDX
Programs: Don't think it matters...
Posts: 4,989
Originally Posted by moondog View Post
Why not fly DL nonstop?
asking 130k DL miles for O/W! simply not worth that amount of miles when we can usually get a r/t for 60-70k miles.
abhilife2001 is offline  
Old May 6, 19, 9:11 pm
  #4  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: SFO
Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG75K; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
Posts: 41,378
Originally Posted by abhilife2001 View Post
asking 130k DL miles for O/W! simply not worth that amount of miles when we can usually get a r/t for 60-70k miles.
PDX to Europe in J RT for 60-70k miles? Which program is that?
Kacee is offline  
Old May 6, 19, 9:40 pm
  #5  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Shanghai
Posts: 30,162
Originally Posted by abhilife2001 View Post
asking 130k DL miles for O/W! simply not worth that amount of miles when we can usually get a r/t for 60-70k miles.
It's common knowledge here that DL miles are not well suited for international redemptions on their own metal, but their cash fares aren't so bad; perhaps try adding a connection order to drop it?

Back when I lived in Portland, I was also a UA loyalist. However, I really came to like the DL flights to NRT and AMS. Sure, the miles were almost worthless, but the flights were much better than UA.
moondog is offline  
Old May 6, 19, 10:22 pm
  #6  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: MEL CHC
Posts: 14,213
Originally Posted by abhilife2001 View Post
So because of the Jet Airways bankruptcy fiasco, need to book a OW from PDX to AMS between 1st - 20th June. I have Amex , Chase and Citi points and can transfer to their relevant airline partners. United does not seem to have any saver availability for any date for this range. Any other *A partner which has decent rates between US West coast and Europe?
Which ffp should I transfer to for a OW from PDX to AMS for the above date range. Looking for a cheap miles requirement and not the most value (i.e - not first class ). As long as I am able to transfer miles from one of these 3 CC issuer's, its fine.
Thanks for your help.
PDX AMS award availability will be issue.
Will probably mean an airport transfer somewhere. Or find you own way up to SEA or YVR
Or another airport instead of AMS and then a train. BRU CDG LHR FRA or ??

Mwenenzi is offline  
Old May 7, 19, 12:02 am
  #7  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: PDX
Programs: Don't think it matters...
Posts: 4,989
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
PDX to Europe in J RT for 60-70k miles? Which program is that?
not J but Y class.
abhilife2001 is offline  
Old May 7, 19, 12:04 am
  #8  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: PDX
Programs: Don't think it matters...
Posts: 4,989
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi View Post
PDX AMS award availability will be issue.
Will probably mean an airport transfer somewhere. Or find you own way up to SEA or YVR
Or another airport instead of AMS and then a train. BRU CDG LHR FRA or ??
thanks for sharing the link, will check out out.
Am aware that no direct flights on *A in this route and will need a stopover.
abhilife2001 is offline  
Old May 7, 19, 12:07 am
  #9  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: PDX
Programs: Don't think it matters...
Posts: 4,989
Originally Posted by moondog View Post
It's common knowledge here that DL miles are not well suited for international redemptions on their own metal, but their cash fares aren't so bad; perhaps try adding a connection order to drop it?

Back when I lived in Portland, I was also a UA loyalist. However, I really came to like the DL flights to NRT and AMS. Sure, the miles were almost worthless, but the flights were much better than UA.
I to believe that DL is better than UA, but want to preserve points for a probable trip in autumn..this trip in an unforeseen one due to my ticket issuing airline going bankrupt and that claim processing will take few months, hence...
abhilife2001 is offline  
Old May 7, 19, 1:18 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: AMS/RTM
Posts: 2,401
I think you should look at it the opposite way around. First use the AC/UA website to see if there is availability in X or I class (economy and business, respectively). These seats will be bookable by any *A program. Then see which programs you can transfer points to, and check the award tables of these programs to decide where you get the best bang for your buck, considering that on some programs you'll have to shell out considerable amounts of cash (looking at you M&M).

EDIT: M&M might actually be your best bet though, considering you can get PDX-FRA-AMS on DE/LH.

EDIT2: a quick look on the AC website shows a few 2 stop options through SFO/YYC and FRA.
abhilife2001 likes this.

Last edited by malmostoso; May 7, 19 at 2:05 am
malmostoso is offline  
Old May 17, 19, 10:57 pm
  #11  
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance
 
Join Date: May 1998
Location: London, UK
Programs: UA-1K 3MM/AA-Plat/HY-Globalist/BA-CCR/GGL/Gold for Life
Posts: 10,594
Cross posted at Cheap OW from PDX to AMS on ST? - please continue there

Markie - Mod, *A
Markie is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread