FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Star Alliance (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/star-alliance-413/)
-   -   OZ a380 in J or SQ a350-900ULR in J? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/star-alliance/1967504-oz-a380-j-sq-a350-900ulr-j.html)

canes310 Apr 29, 2019 5:10 pm

OZ a380 in J or SQ a350-900ULR in J?

Flying LAX - DAD and have option of:

OZ a380 in J
or
SQ a350-900ULR in J

Never flown either in J. Thoughts? SQ has that footwell off to the side that looks odd. OZ's looks a bit more straight on.

OZ has 1:15hr connection in ICN. Too tight?
SQ has overnight connection in SIN. Definitely hitting the hawker stalls that night if we do SQ.

I've read mixed reviews overall on OZ in J. SQ service always seems good, but the new J seat reviews seem shaky at best.

DownUnderFlyer Apr 30, 2019 2:19 am

[mod hat] As this is a comparison between two Star Alliance products I will move this to that forum. In addition, this has been cross posted both in the SQ and OZ forums which is against FT rules. [/mod hat]

Dover2Golf Apr 30, 2019 6:48 am

I would choose OZ, the seat is better than any of the current SQ long haul seats and while not the most polished service the crew try hard and the food is usually pretty good. The connection will be OK and obviously protected in the event of a problem.

I dislike all three current SQ longhaul seats although I would say the one on the A350 is the least worst it's still uncomfortable as a seat - too wide and too hard. I find SQ service very mediocre these days - complacent crew who are inflexible and impersonal in their approach and keen to tell you how good they are while you're sitting thinking you would rather be flying with another airline! I really don't see SQ as an airline who I want to travel with these days and that's after using them for 20+ years, they are going down badly.

1kBill Apr 30, 2019 11:16 pm

Unless you have our heart set on spending a night in Singapore, I would take the OZ A380. I like the OZ A380 seats; I've only flown SQ on their 773 seats, which I do not care for. Service and food on OZ will be fine, nothing other worldly. Service on SQ is can be outstanding if you get a crew who is engaged, but you often get the robots. 1:15 connection time at ICN is totally doable.

lhrpete May 1, 2019 2:30 pm

I would also choose OZ.

Both the A380 and A350 offer an excellent experience from the point of view of cabin air and pressurisation. I prefer OZ business class seats, SQ are too hard, too wide and on the A350 they are still the ones with minimal recline that you have to stand up and flip over if you want a bed. At one time on SQ the crew came and made your bed, now there's a leaflet telling you how to do it yourself so far has SQ cabin service fallen.

Food on both is comprable, perhaps more interesting on OZ, SQ tends to play it safe.

Crew on SQ perform to script and don't deviate, crew on OZ are far warmer and more willing.

OZ are on the way up, SQ are on the way down and IMO (as a top tier frequent flyer there) are trading on past glory, there was a time when they were the best, they certainly aren't now and I wouldn't put them in the top 25%.

Markie May 17, 2019 11:03 pm

Cross posted in SQ forum