Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Upgrade (using M&M miles) business to first on NH booked via LH

Old Mar 3, 19, 1:19 am
Original Poster

Hi everyone,

I booked a multi-stop business-class flight on the LH website.
All the legs are either D or Z class.
The longest legs are HND - FRA and back, operated by NH.

I was planning to upgrade one of those long legs to first class using my M&M miles, but I just found out that codeshare upgrades are not possible on *A...

I read here on the forums that one could try to get the ticket changed (or reissued?) with a different code, in my case NH code.
I called LH in both Germany and Japan, but they thought I'm crazy when I asked them if it's possible to change the code of the ticket to NH.

So I have some questions:
Is it possible to change from LH to NH on one leg or all legs of the ticket, and if yes, how?
Would this give me the ability to upgrade the flight (given that there's availability)?
If it's not possible, is there any other way to get that upgrade?

Thank you!
Old Mar 3, 19, 7:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by erusa View Post

Is it possible to change from LH to NH on one leg or all legs of the ticket, and if yes, how?
Would this give me the ability to upgrade the flight (given that there's availability)?
If it's not possible, is there any other way to get that upgrade?

Thank you!
Call LH and ask to reissue ticket with native NH flight number(s) ... [this may affect pricing as the original fare class(es) may not be available]
No upgrade allowed on Z fare. Only J, C, D. If you have D fare, then you can check to see if upgrade available. You can't waitlist. You have to keep checking.
Price the cost of buying first class fare.
Old Mar 5, 19, 2:31 am
Original Poster

Thank you, UAPremExecflyer!

I talked to LH Germany again and the operators were much more knowledgeable (and kinder) than the ones during the weekend.

This is the info I got:
* Codeshare upgrades are generally not possible, however, their system does allow it in rare cases.
* Booking class Z can be upgraded to first, however, for more miles. For example, US-EU business-to-first upgrade is 70k miles for Z, instead of the normal 50k.

They didnít sound like they would be ready to reissue the ticket under native code, in fact, they didnít even sound like they know how to do it.

I was not sure what the costs and process involved would be, so I decided to keep it simple and upgrade a native LH segment.

Since the native LH segment is Z booking class, Iím short of 3-4k miles for the upgrade, so Iíll try again after the first leg of the flight has been completed.

I can try to upgrade the first NH leg at the airport in HND (trying both at the LH and NH counter), but I doubt theyíll be willing to do it.

Last edited by erusa; Mar 5, 19 at 8:10 am
Old Mar 5, 19, 10:58 am

Programs: UA 1K, DL PM
NH certainly can't do it using your M&M miles, you'd need NH miles for them to be able to do anything at all. For such a small amount of miles needed to confirm your LH upgrade, do you have any Marriott points? They are transferrable to M&M. You'd need milesx3 in Marriott points, for example 9k Marriott for 3k M&M and 12k Marriott for 4k M&M.
Old Mar 6, 19, 9:41 pm
Original Poster

Thank you, dvs7310!

That was something I wasnít sure about if itís possible to use miles for at-the-airport upgrades, and if they can be non-native *A miles.
Apparently the answers are yes and no.

Thank you for the tip about the Marriot miles! That would be a good option. I have some SPG points, which are compatible with Marriot points AFAIK, but they will not be enough. So Iíll have to wait until after the first leg of the journey.
Old Mar 7, 19, 7:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL PM
You might check your old SPG points, depending on what you had in the account you might have more than you think, they have been transferred to Marriott points already, as of last year, so whatever you had in SPG before was multiplied by 3 to become Marriott.
Old Mar 12, 19, 7:36 am
Original Poster

Thank you! I wasnít aware that they have already transferred them. I only had less than 1000 SPG points, so it wasnít enough.
However, in the meantime, I already completed the first 2 legs, so now I have enough miles. I called M&M to upgrade the native LH leg, but by now I only got a waitlist place. Hopefully, Iíll get the first-class seat in the end.
dvs7310 likes this.

Search this Thread