FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Star Alliance (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/star-alliance-413/)
-   -   *Gold Lounge Hopping (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/star-alliance/1955421-gold-lounge-hopping.html)

FlyerTalker70 Feb 9, 2019 11:11 am

*Gold Lounge Hopping

Hey Everyone,

I'll be travelling a decent bit next month and was wondering if *A imposes any restrictions on UA Gold members visiting multiple lounges? In particular, I'll be at LHR and would like to try out all 4 lounges (AC,LH,UA and SQ). When I'm in LAX flying domestic, I'd like to try *A Lounge and AC MLL along with TK and LH lounges for my IAD connection. Finally, when I'm flying back home at EWR I'd like to try the lounges for LH, SK and UA again with my UA Gold card. Other than trying out these new lounges, I'd also be interested in learning how the (historically) physical card only lounges handle UA's decision not to issue physical cards anymore for their UA Gold card, instead issuing a digital pass that can be used.

Thanks in advance,

James

mahasamatman Feb 9, 2019 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by j2simpso (Post 30757962)
wondering if *A imposes any restrictions on UA Gold members visiting multiple lounges?

I've never had a problem doing it.

joe_miami Feb 9, 2019 5:33 pm

I’m not aware of any *G lounges in the U.S. that were asking for the card over the past year or two. I don’t recall any reports from LHR, either.

I’ve never seen anyone mention any limitations on same-day or same-trip lounge visits.

Antonio8069 Feb 10, 2019 3:17 am

read current threads.

The Star Alliance does not have the means to monitor multiple same day visits to G lounges.
IMO, the biggest issue you will encounter is whether or not your bp allows access to that terminal. In my experience, this has been a problem in both LAX and EWR.
You will find more current info in these threads.

joe_miami Feb 10, 2019 10:25 am

The problem at EWR is the United shuttle people often not allowing people to ride the shuttle unless one has a flight departing from the destination terminal. TSA at EWR doesn’t care at all, in my experience.

That said, the LH lounge at EWR doesn’t open until 11:00 am or noon, so one shouldn’t trek over there without making sure it’s open.

FlyerTalker70 Feb 10, 2019 11:26 am

Thanks everyone for the feedback on lounge hopping! Look forward to enjoying the various lounges I have access to on the way.

Originally Posted by joe_miami (Post 30759211)
I’m not aware of any *G lounges in the U.S. that were asking for the card over the past year or two.

I had been card-checked at several airports last year: LH lounge at DTW, NH lounge @ NRT, SQ Contract lounge at DPS, LX lounges at GVA/ZRH and TG lounge at SIN. Outside of AC or UA where no such carding takes place, my experience has been very hit or miss.

Originally Posted by joe_miami (Post 30761160)
The problem at EWR is the United shuttle people often not allowing people to ride the shuttle unless one has a flight departing from the destination terminal. TSA at EWR doesn’t care at all, in my experience.

That said, the LH lounge at EWR doesn’t open until 11:00 am or noon, so one shouldn’t trek over there without making sure it’s open.

I plan on arriving @ EWR in the early to mid afternoon with my flight being the 10 PM TATL UA special out of EWR. Hence, I should have time to manually clear security at Concourse B, enjoy both said lounges, take the leisurely stroll to the C concourse and board my flight to LHR.

Originally Posted by Antonio8069 (Post 30760168)
The Star Alliance does not have the means to monitor multiple same day visits to G lounges.
IMO, the biggest issue you will encounter is whether or not your bp allows access to that terminal. In my experience, this has been a problem in both LAX and EWR.
You will find more current info in these threads.

I hear LAX allows for airside transfers between terminals (albeit it can be a bit of a hike). I plan on entering TBIT since I hear the security situation is better there than elsewhere at the airport, then strolling to the * lounge.

Safe Travels,

James

joe_miami Feb 10, 2019 11:47 am

If you see that they’re not checking boarding passes for the shuttle, tell them you’re going to C, then confirm with the shuttle driver that he or she is stopping at B, and then get off there.

serfty Feb 10, 2019 12:48 pm

Since May 2015 (IIRC) there have been no official restrictions on accessing any terminal at an airport in the USA as long as you have a same day BP for a flight departing that airport.

Moreover, the terminals are becoming more an more connected airside. e.g. At LAX it is possible to travel airside between T2 and T8 (walk between TBIT and T8, Bus between TBIT and T3/T2).

FlyerTalker70 Feb 10, 2019 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by joe_miami (Post 30761416)
If you see that they’re not checking boarding passes for the shuttle, tell them you’re going to C, then confirm with the shuttle driver that he or she is stopping at B, and then get off there.

Unsure whether I'll have the opportunity to take the shuttle since as it currently stands I'll be arriving in Air Canada's bit of Concourse A which does not have the UA Shuttle service.However, there is a slight chance this may change due to Professional Commitments, in which case I'll arrive at UA Terminal A/C where I could potentially use the shuttle. In which case, here's to hoping there are no dragons to leave me burnt :p

-James

Repooc17 Feb 10, 2019 1:02 pm

Note the airside bus at EWR go from C to B to A, but not the reverse.

Personally, no lounges at EWR (other than PL) is worth clearing extra security for. There are no precheck at Terminal B, and the lines can get long.

My advice: if you have the time, go enjoy each city instead of lounge hopping.

Silver Fox Feb 10, 2019 1:09 pm

In LHR you will find that the LH lounge is near the A gates, and that UA/SQ/AC are B gates. And the distance between A and B is quite a trek. Doable, but you will need to give yourself plenty of time.

joe_miami Feb 11, 2019 9:37 am

Originally Posted by Repooc17 (Post 30761723)
Note the airside bus at EWR go from C to B to A, but not the reverse.

Personally, no lounges at EWR (other than PL) is worth clearing extra security for. There are no precheck at Terminal B, and the lines can get long.

My advice: if you have the time, go enjoy each city instead of lounge hopping.

I probably wouldn’t clear security in both directions just to visit the lounges in B at EWR, especially with only PRE LITE being offered at B, but I’ve found the LH lounge to be very good. It all comes down to shuttle access.

tstauck Feb 19, 2019 12:27 pm

I've had no issues in EWR taking the shuttle bus from C to B for the * Lounges. They did check my boarding pass and noted that I wasn't leaving from Term B; I just said I was shopping and checking out the lounges, and they let me board no problem. They aren't spectacular, but if you have 3 hours or so (and no UC or PL access, like me), could be worth the trek. If you have 3 hours to kill, it doesn't give you enough time to check out the NYC area anyway.

You shouldn't have any issues in LAX at all. It's well posted that you can enter any terminal with a same day boarding pass. I typically get dropped off at TBIT from the car rental shuttle and enter at the TSA Pre checkpoint, almost no line at all the past few times. Then just do the connector walk to T7 for my UA flight, about 17 min on average.

Adding, most of my flights are domestic are in Y and no UC, so that's why the * Lounges if I can.

tstauck Feb 19, 2019 12:31 pm

Also was just at the * Lounges in IAD, about 15 min from Term C / D where UA is, take the monorail to B where these two lounges are.

No issues with access, * Gold and flying in Y.

Lufthansa Senator/Business Lounge was better in my opinion, better food and larger.

Lufthansa Senator/Business Lounge photos:

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...08af85a3d6.jpg
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...318c0ea008.jpg

FlyerTalker70 Feb 19, 2019 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by tstauck (Post 30798208)
Also was just at the * Lounges in IAD, about 15 min from Term C / D where UA is, take the monorail to B where these two lounges are.

No issues with access, * Gold and flying in Y.

Lufthansa Senator/Business Lounge was better in my opinion, better food and larger.

Lufthansa Senator/Business Lounge photos:

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...08af85a3d6.jpg
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...318c0ea008.jpg

Thanks for the report, really appreciate it. Could you comment on your thoughts on the TK lounge at IAD and whether the LH lounge at IAD has a shower? I'd like to update my list of non-UA *Gold lounges one can access on UA DOM flights.

Also it appears that I'll be flying into AC's Terminal A meaning I'll need to re-clear security at Terminal C since UA's airside transfer doesn't seem to go to those gates. The good news is I've got a 7 hour layover in EWR which I suspect would be ample time to explore the various lounges in and around EWR.

Safe Travels,

James