Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Booking Lufthansa flight through United

Booking Lufthansa flight through United

Old Jan 31, 19, 11:04 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Programs: Mileage Plus
Posts: 1
Booking Lufthansa flight through United

I am a mileage plus member and booking a trip to Germany on a Lufthansa flight. I hate that if I book through United I can't select my seat when booking so am considering just booking on Lufthansa with my mileage plus frequent flier number. Is there any disadvantage to this from a miles earning perspective? Is anyone aware of a way to book through United and then go back to Lufthansa to pay their fee for a seat assignment? It doesn't appear That I can select a seat through United even if I book premium economy which seems odd....

thanks in advance for any help here!
Kim Evans is offline  
Old Feb 1, 19, 12:49 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: NRT / HND
Programs: UA 1K, DL PM
Posts: 4,241
You can select seats on LH if you book it with a LH flight number. If you book it as a UA codeshare then that's where you have problems.

As far as booking it via LH's website vs. UA's, you may actually end up earning more miles if you book it via LH, depending on the ticket price and your status with Mileage Plus. If you book via United then if you're a base member (your profile doesn't indicate any Premier status) then you only earn 5x miles on your fare (taxes excluded). If you book via LH then you get a multiplier of the actual miles flown which is somewhere between 25% to 200% depending on the fare class (first letter of the actual fare code). I don't know where you live but let's just make an example from EWR, EWR-FRA is ~7750 miles round trip. If you fly LH (and ticket with LH) then you'd get ~1930 miles on a K fare, ~3875 miles on a S, T, or L fare, ~5,800 on Q, V, W, and 100% of the 7750 on higher economy fares. Premium economy will get you 100%-150%, depending on the fare bucket. Now if you fly United, let's say your fare is $500 before taxes, it's a little trickier than this but for simplicity let's call that 2,500 miles (500x5). You'd be better off buying your ticket from LH unless you're buying a K fare. If you're looking at Premium Economy then you need to do the math based on whatever the fare price is.
dvs7310 is offline  
Old Feb 1, 19, 4:39 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: London & Sonoma CA
Programs: UA 1K MM, Hertz PC, BAEC Silver
Posts: 8,001
Originally Posted by dvs7310 View Post
You can select seats on LH if you book it with a LH flight number. If you book it as a UA codeshare then that's where you have problems.

As far as booking it via LH's website vs. UA's, you may actually end up earning more miles if you book it via LH, depending on the ticket price and your status with Mileage Plus. If you book via United then if you're a base member (your profile doesn't indicate any Premier status) then you only earn 5x miles on your fare (taxes excluded). If you book via LH then you get a multiplier of the actual miles flown which is somewhere between 25% to 200% depending on the fare class (first letter of the actual fare code). I don't know where you live but let's just make an example from EWR, EWR-FRA is ~7750 miles round trip. If you fly LH (and ticket with LH) then you'd get ~1930 miles on a K fare, ~3875 miles on a S, T, or L fare, ~5,800 on Q, V, W, and 100% of the 7750 on higher economy fares. Premium economy will get you 100%-150%, depending on the fare bucket. Now if you fly United, let's say your fare is $500 before taxes, it's a little trickier than this but for simplicity let's call that 2,500 miles (500x5). You'd be better off buying your ticket from LH unless you're buying a K fare. If you're looking at Premium Economy then you need to do the math based on whatever the fare price is.
This is an excellent exposition of the nonsense UA has made of its Mileage Plus program.

Two other things to be aware of: it's not always obvious what your fare class will be when you book directly with LH as they use fare categories ("Light" etc.) which don't map to fare classes. Second, if you book with LH directly, you won't get any PQDs on the reservation, if that's important to the OP.
zeer0 likes this.
lhrsfo is offline  
Old Feb 1, 19, 5:16 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
Posts: 1,479
Originally Posted by Kim Evans View Post
Is anyone aware of a way to book through United and then go back to Lufthansa to pay their fee for a seat assignment?
Welcome to FT.

If you decide to book through UA. You can call up UA - give them the UA PNR and get the LH PNR. Then you can use the LH PNR to book your seat on the LH website.

Mileage benefits... what the previous 2 posters said. If you're based in the US and looking to build status then PQD could be important to you. If it isn't then LH could be the better option in this case. Although you would want to consider your over travel plans and goals and not decide on mileage earnings for a single trip. That strategy would lead to having a bunch of orphan miles across different programs.
PiperAtGatesofDawn is offline  
Old Feb 2, 19, 3:58 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: NRT / HND
Programs: UA 1K, DL PM
Posts: 4,241
Originally Posted by PiperAtGatesofDawn View Post
Welcome to FT.

If you decide to book through UA. You can call up UA - give them the UA PNR and get the LH PNR. Then you can use the LH PNR to book your seat on the LH website.
Not if United books the flight as a UA codeshare (LH metal with UA flight number). LH doesn't allow pre-selected seats on codeshares, even in paid first or business class. You can only select seats on codeshares during Online Check-in or at the airport.

Originally Posted by PiperAtGatesofDawn View Post

Mileage benefits... what the previous 2 posters said. If you're based in the US and looking to build status then PQD could be important to you. If it isn't then LH could be the better option in this case. Although you would want to consider your over travel plans and goals and not decide on mileage earnings for a single trip. That strategy would lead to having a bunch of orphan miles across different programs.
The OP isn't comparing crediting between two (or more) different programs that I could see. Pretty sure they are crediting to Mileage Plus but debating the pros and cons of booking the flights via United vs. Lufthansa. All of the advice I gave pertains specifically to crediting to Mileage Plus, so does the other poster's advice regarding PQD's which I had forgotten about since I'm not US based. Orphaned miles by crediting to various programs is pretty far off base for what's been discussed in the thread so far, no one has talked about potentially crediting to Miles & More.
dvs7310 is offline  
Old Feb 2, 19, 8:19 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: FRA
Programs: AC 50K 1MM, UA 1K, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott Gold Elite, Hertz PC
Posts: 2,714
Originally Posted by dvs7310 View Post
Not if United books the flight as a UA codeshare (LH metal with UA flight number). LH doesn't allow pre-selected seats on codeshares, even in paid first or business class. You can only select seats on codeshares during Online Check-in or at the airport.
LH does allow pre-selected seats on codeshares, but you can't do it online. At least our corporate TA has always been able to select seats on UA codeshares operated by LH in business class,
ACflyerDE is offline  
Old Feb 2, 19, 10:08 am
  #7  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: SFO
Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG75K; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
Posts: 41,378
Originally Posted by PiperAtGatesofDawn View Post
If you decide to book through UA. You can call up UA - give them the UA PNR and get the LH PNR. Then you can use the LH PNR to book your seat on the LH website.
That's incorrect. If the ticket is not of a type which allows free seat selection (and many LH fares do not), it is not possible to purchase an ASR if you buy a UA codeshare. The LH software won't allow it. This has been discussed for years and at great length on the UA forum.
Kacee is offline  
Old Feb 2, 19, 2:16 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
Posts: 1,479
Deleted
PiperAtGatesofDawn is offline  
Old Feb 2, 19, 2:27 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
Posts: 1,479
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
That's incorrect. If the ticket is not of a type which allows free seat selection (and many LH fares do not), it is not possible to purchase an ASR if you buy a UA codeshare. The LH software won't allow it. This has been discussed for years and at great length on the UA forum.
Ah we never seem to be able to agree about anything. So in keeping with traditions here goes... I just went through the forums. I have a couple of LH flights with UA codeshare on UA stock coming up...

I got this far with my seat selection. The last leg is on a UA flight hence no seat assignment there.




I didn't make the payment. So what happens next? Payment fails or does it go through and I still don't get a seat assigned?
PiperAtGatesofDawn is offline  
Old Feb 2, 19, 2:35 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
Posts: 1,479
Originally Posted by dvs7310 View Post
no one has talked about potentially crediting to Miles & More.
Agreed. I misread that.
PiperAtGatesofDawn is offline  
Old Feb 2, 19, 2:46 pm
  #11  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: SFO
Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG75K; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
Posts: 41,378
Originally Posted by PiperAtGatesofDawn View Post
I didn't make the payment. So what happens next? Payment fails or does it go through and I still don't get a seat assigned?
No Advance LH Discount Economy seat selection & other seating issues w/ UA Tkts (016)

If LH has finally fixed the software issue, that would be very good news for many UA flyers.

Last edited by Kacee; Feb 2, 19 at 6:51 pm
Kacee is offline  
Old Feb 2, 19, 10:29 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
Posts: 1,479
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
No Advance LH Discount Economy seat selection & other seating issues w/ UA Tkts (016)

If LH has finally fixed the software issue, that would be very good news for many UA flyers.
Yes that was the thread I was alluding to in my previous post where other FTers said they got the message similar to "Seat selection not available" when they tried to do ASR on the LH website. I got much further than that and would be very surprised if the seat selection failed now having come this far.
PiperAtGatesofDawn is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread