Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Need advice on flight to choose from ICN

Old Jan 18, 19, 7:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA gold, AS MVP Gold, AA Plat, HA, DL, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold

I live in PDX and I'm debating between 2 different flights options returning from ICN. I could book business class using miles on OZ from ICN to SEA and then buy a regular ticket on the AS shuttle and connect down to PDX. My other option would be UA entirely on miles with business class from ICN to SFO and then economy from SFO to PDX. I'm reading reviews on OZ and I'm a little torn on what to do. Any advice would be appreciated.
Old Jan 19, 19, 9:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG75K; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
If you book via SFO on UA, you'll be able to access the Polaris lounge on arrival for a shower. You also won't have to worry about a misconnect on separate tickets. The downsides are (i) SFO-PDX can be subject to delays, and (ii) UA service can be inconsistent compared to OZ. Another consideration is the aircraft scheduled for the UA segment ICN-SFO . . . are you seeing the 789 or the 772 with new Polaris seats? If it's the Polaris seat, I would definitely go with UA.
Yoshi212 likes this.
Old Jan 19, 19, 11:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA gold, AS MVP Gold, AA Plat, HA, DL, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
There’s availability on both the 772 with Polaris which is the earlier flight and the 789 with the old seat
Old Jan 20, 19, 2:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL PM
No questions asked then, 772 with new Polaris seats. OZ is nice but honestly ICN-West Coast is so short you're not going to get the full experience regardless. You'll have to chose to maximize sleeping or service experience. The new Polaris seat is much nicer than anything OZ has at the moment, though OZ's food would usually be better. I think having access to the Polaris lounge at SFO would also be a factor for myself if you're on anything longer than a 2 hour layover. (I frequently connect via SFO Int arrival with under 2 hours very comfortably, so it's not a given assumption) But as another mentioned, if you go UA you'll have protection if you don't make the connection, either on the next UA or AS flight. If you go via SEA you'll want to build a safe pad into the itinerary, where SFO you can go with 1h30m if necessary. (ICN flights are often very early).
Old Jan 23, 19, 11:17 am

Programs: AS 75K, TK ELPL (*G), BA Gold (OWE), Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold
If you book with UA miles, then you can waitlist for first class on the SFO-PDX portion as well.
Old Jan 23, 19, 11:53 am
Original Poster

Looking at everything more closely, the 789 works better with our schedule because it's a 4:30 departure vs. the 11:25 departure with the new Polaris seat. So it's now old 789 J seat vs. OZ lie flat on the A350 via Seattle. I would save 20K miles and about $200 bucks not going through Seattle. I'm going back and forth and I appreciate the FT advice.
Old Jan 23, 19, 6:02 pm

Originally Posted by portland67 View Post
Looking at everything more closely, the 789 works better with our schedule because it's a 4:30 departure vs. the 11:25 departure with the new Polaris seat. So it's now old 789 J seat vs. OZ lie flat on the A350 via Seattle. I would save 20K miles and about $200 bucks not going through Seattle. I'm going back and forth and I appreciate the FT advice.
I don't think there is a right or wrong answer to that one. OZ service is nice and I really like their food. The A350 is an equally great plane to the 787, both are extremely quiet, smooth, and comfortable (lower altitude pressurization). With the later flight, presumably you'll be sleeping a good part of the flight, UA's old seat is very comfortable for sleeping and if you get the center section then you won't have to step over each other to get out. With UA you get the Polaris lounge in SFO on your connection which is nice but it wouldn't affect my decision and their ala-carte dining menu has really been taken down a notch over what it was when ORD first opened (used to be very nice quality restaurant level, now I feel it's more bistro). I think if you take OZ you won't feel like you wasted the extra 20k miles and $200, but UA will be just fine and quite comfortable.
Old Jan 23, 19, 10:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG75K; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
Originally Posted by dvs7310 View Post
With UA you get the Polaris lounge in SFO on your connection which is nice but it wouldn't affect my decision
Agree overall with your commentary, but to me the ability to shower at SFO (either Polaris or Arrivals lounge) would be an important consideration, especially with an onward connection.
Old Jan 25, 19, 4:07 am

Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
Agree overall with your commentary, but to me the ability to shower at SFO (either Polaris or Arrivals lounge) would be an important consideration, especially with an onward connection.
Solid point, for me it depends if I'm just heading home or not. If I'm just going home the shower loses priority, but if I've got an active day ahead of me then it's a much higher priority. For example I've been eligible for the NH arrivals lounges in Tokyo many many times, but of course I have never used them because I'm on my way home anyway. I've also had a lot of 1h30m int-dom connections at SFO where I really wouldn't have time for a shower as well unless the incoming flight was pretty early. I assume there are quite a few flights per day SFO-PDX, so presumably the OP could build sufficient time into the itinerary to allow time in the Polaris lounge if desired, though being on a mileage ticket, maybe not as well.

Search this Thread