United 77W or ANA 788?

Old Jan 17, 19, 7:29 pm
Original Poster

United 77W or ANA 788?

I have a J award ticket next week on United from SFO to NRT (seat 5A). Today I noticed that ANA just opened up more award space on the SJC to NRT route and I'm wondering if it's worth the extra 10k points and change fee to switch. I live in San Jose so SJC is way better for me but I checked the seat map on ANA and the seat selection isn't as good (all that's left is D/G in odd rows and C/H in even rows). What do you guys think?
Old Jan 17, 19, 8:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG75K; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
No clear winner. Both nice products. I like the Polaris seat, and 5A is a really good one. I think this comes down to whether it's worth 10k miles to you to fly SJC rather than SFO.
Old Jan 17, 19, 10:33 pm

Programs: A3*G, AA-Exec, DL, UA*S, AS
Access to the Polaris Lounge in SFO is a +.
Yoshi212 and zeer0 like this.
Old Jan 18, 19, 1:26 am

Programs: United 1K 1MM, Marriott Rewards Gold, Hilton HHonors Silver
United.

Polaris on the 77W beats NH on the Dreamliner, by seat (especially an odd row in Polaris) food and IFE. In fact everything except flight attendant service where NH wins by miles. Plus you have the Polaris lounge at SFO which is a clear winner.
Yoshi212 likes this.
Old Jan 18, 19, 1:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL PM
I certainly agree with everyone else here, keep the UA 77W, better seat, better IFE, and for my own tastes better food. My biggest issue with NH is their menu selection, it's very Japanese oriented, which may or may not be good for you. Their western movie selection is also fairly limited.
Old Mar 17, 19, 6:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM
Note that United’s Polaris food and service took a serious downgrade 1st February. Check the UA forum for details, but they’ve switched to preplated meals and for most planes (but not the 77W) they eliminated one of the galley positions. The lounge is still a win though.

Search this Thread