FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Star Alliance (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/star-alliance-413/)
-   -   United 77W or ANA 788? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/star-alliance/1951659-united-77w-ana-788-a.html)

cupofjoe Jan 17, 2019 7:29 pm

United 77W or ANA 788?

I have a J award ticket next week on United from SFO to NRT (seat 5A). Today I noticed that ANA just opened up more award space on the SJC to NRT route and I'm wondering if it's worth the extra 10k points and change fee to switch. I live in San Jose so SJC is way better for me but I checked the seat map on ANA and the seat selection isn't as good (all that's left is D/G in odd rows and C/H in even rows). What do you guys think?

Kacee Jan 17, 2019 8:34 pm

No clear winner. Both nice products. I like the Polaris seat, and 5A is a really good one. I think this comes down to whether it's worth 10k miles to you to fly SJC rather than SFO.

swgsword Jan 17, 2019 10:33 pm

Access to the Polaris Lounge in SFO is a +.

usbusinesstraveller Jan 18, 2019 1:26 am

United.

Polaris on the 77W beats NH on the Dreamliner, by seat (especially an odd row in Polaris) food and IFE. In fact everything except flight attendant service where NH wins by miles. Plus you have the Polaris lounge at SFO which is a clear winner.

dvs7310 Jan 18, 2019 1:05 pm

I certainly agree with everyone else here, keep the UA 77W, better seat, better IFE, and for my own tastes better food. My biggest issue with NH is their menu selection, it's very Japanese oriented, which may or may not be good for you. Their western movie selection is also fairly limited.

djmp Mar 17, 2019 6:08 pm

Note that United’s Polaris food and service took a serious downgrade 1st February. Check the UA forum for details, but they’ve switched to preplated meals and for most planes (but not the 77W) they eliminated one of the galley positions. The lounge is still a win though.

cupofjoe Dec 31, 2019 1:54 pm

Wanted to provide an update. I ended up sticking with the UA flight and would agree with almost all the comments above. I also was able to take the NH flight out of SJC (seat 3K so very comparable) on a later trip so here's my comparison.

UA had a better seat, bedding was much better, bigger selection of English IFE, and the Polaris lounge was fantastic.
NH had slightly better service and a better drink selection.

The NH seat was more spacious but had less storage. Privacy was similar. Japanese food was better on NH, and Western food was better on UA. SJC was much less hassle than SFO, and the boarding process for the 787 was faster.

Based on what I know now, I would say all other things equal I would choose UA but for me the difference isn't big enough to give up the convenience of SJC (or take a connection instead of a non-stop).