Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

help/advice in planning a trip and earning my silver status

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

help/advice in planning a trip and earning my silver status

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2019, 3:43 am
Original Poster

Question help/advice in planning a trip and earning my silver status

Hello All,

I'm based in europe, having a miles and more account (+ M&M credit card).

Here is all the information:

This trip and booking class is obtained from lh.com
December 2019 (business)
booking class Flight Miles
P LH1977 (MLA-MUN) 750
P LH790 (MUN-SIN) 6250
J NZ283 (SIN-AKL) 10454
Total 17454 miles

January 2020 (business)
booking class Flight Miles
P LH7020 (AKL-HKG) 5699
P LH797 (HKG-FRA) 5688
P LH1276 (FRA-MLA) 750
Total 12137 miles
Total of return journey = 26591 miles

Return journey from AKL to PPT planned second half of december 2019, in economy.
I can't find the booking class on the air new zealand website. I tested some booking class and it seems I can earn
2544 booking class Q or V
5088 booking class M or H
7632 booking class E
So taking the AKL-PPT return trip under the M or H booking class would give me a full total of 34679. Only 321 miles missing to get my frequent flyers status.
Or taking a return trip from AKL to MLA in January finding a leg from AKL to SIN on NZ would earn me enough miles with only this return trip.

So few questions here:
- Do you feel it is correct to earn way more miles on air new zeland between SIN and AKL than the return on Cathay code share LH7020 AKL-HKG?
- The trip will be split between 2019 and 2020, my miles and more account reset on first of January. How to get my frequent flyer status?
- I think I will have to open another star alliance account to avoid this issue of the reset status in the middle of my trip. Am I right?
- In my position, which one would you open to get my Silver/frequent flyer status after this trip? Any way to then transfer point to my miles and more account?
- Or should I forget to silver status and credit everyting into my M&M account?
- Any other recommendation you would have for this trip?

Thanks.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by quentinb11
So few questions here:
- Do you feel it is correct to earn way more miles on Air New Zealand between SIN and AKL than the return on Cathay code share LH7020 AKL-HKG?.
With Star Alliance ff earning is based on operating carrier.
As LH7020 is operated by CX (CX198) you need to check if you will earn anything to LH M&M

AKL-PPT.
Do you have the Air NZ PNR? (last letter will be H).
Is this flight on NZ metal or Air Tahiti Nui TN (codeshare)?
Old Jan 16, 2019, 12:55 am
Original Poster

Hello,

From the miles calculator of lufthansa I do earn miles with the LH7020/CX198

No PNR yet As I'm waiting to be sure of what I will book to maximize the trip. But looking on NZ42 and NZ41 flights, so air new zealand not Tahiti Nui.

Cheers,
Old Jan 16, 2019, 2:09 am

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
If it is LH ticket, then it is not based on miles anymore but on money ($$) paid... Keep that on mind...
Old Jan 16, 2019, 2:21 am

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Because it's over 2 different calendar years you might want to instead credit to a program that has a rolling year or does 2 year qualification periods. You should check your earnings on Wheretocredit.com. I'd be looking at OZ if it were me, you need 40k miles over 2 years to earn Star Alliance Gold status with them, it's pretty generous and you have quite a few fares that will credit over 100%, unfortunately though your CX flight won't earn anything at all outside of M&M in *A. If you can get that switched to a NZ metal flight, it would make a huge difference in your earnings.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 6:44 am
Original Poster

Hi,
Thanks for the website and advice. I was indeed looking into OZ. From wheretocredit it seems that my lufthansa P class ticket won't earn anything on Asiana.
I can easily switch the CX flight to NZ.
Cheers,
Old Jan 17, 2019, 2:55 am

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Man, that's rough on the LH P fares, I had forgotten how stingy they were with those. So then in order to get anything from OZ you'd also need to change the LH flights to LX or OS, they credit at 100% for P, it's only LH metal that's so terrible. Then changing the CX to NZ metal.

Changing all LH to LX and connecting via ZRH instead of MUC/FRA 13,896
Changing CX to NZ, then your total to Asiana Club would be 13,642 (10,914 @ 125%)

NZ metal to PPT, 5,088 r/t (all fare classes you mentioned on NZ earn 100% in OZ)

That puts you at 32,696, so you only need to find 7500 miles more to get your 40k for *G.

In theory LH, LX, and OS fares are the same $$ just might take some playing around to get the connections you need. Tons of cheap *A mileage runs from Europe to get that amount of miles.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 3:18 am
Original Poster

I will have a look to find some LX or OS flights!
I can then open my asiana account just before the trip and it will leave me more than 22 months to "find" the remaining 7500 miles.

Many thanks!
dvs7310 and ElJudioErrante like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.