Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

*A transatlantic premium economy

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2019, 12:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA MP, NW WP, AA

Which *A carrier that flies to the US west coast has the best PE product? Seat recline and comfort is the most important criteria for me. Lounge access would be a big plus but not a deal breaker. Thanks in advance for your input.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 9:48 pm

Programs: Velocity
My vote would be with Air New Zealand - 42" pitch, excellent service - hot towels, printed menu card, nice amenity kit, good meal and wine selection. Lufthansa and most others are 38" pitch.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 5:17 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
Does NZ fly TATL?

OP - are you looking at flying to Europe or somewhere else?
Old Jan 8, 2019, 8:35 am

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
Originally Posted by PiperAtGatesofDawn
Does NZ fly TATL?

NZ flies between LAX & LHR.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 9:02 am

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Originally Posted by PiperAtGatesofDawn
Does NZ fly TATL?

Yes, they have a 5th Freedom flight LAX-LHR, been flying that route for years.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 10:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA MP, NW WP, AA
Thanks for the replies.

I am actually looking to fly between Scandinavia/continental Europe and US west coast.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 11:24 pm

Programs: United 1K 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
United is launching premium economy (brand name Premium Plus) from the end of March. Nothing from Scandanavia to the west coast in their first offering, but they’re offering Frankfurt and London Heathrow to San Francisco. As more P+ aircraft get retrofitted they’ll launch more routes.

I sampled the P+ seat for a few minutes last month (I flew in the last row of Polaris so P+ was right behind me). It’s a very nice seat with leg rests on all seats, so when they reckine you feel like in a cradle.

Lufthansa also has premium economy, meaning from Germany to the US.

Whether those is routes work for you I don’t know.

But good luck with your search.

Last edited by usbusinesstraveller; Jan 9, 2019 at 11:30 pm
Old Jan 10, 2019, 9:19 am

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
From Scandinavia, SK's premium economy is pretty poor, I wouldn't even consider that if it were me. I also would not be looking at UA's Premium Economy unless it was a heck of a deal. Both SK and UA don't have a dedicated lavatory for PE, you have to walk back to the general lavs for economy which may be quite busy depending on the plane. UA has some God awful configurations on some planes for lav access.

I very much doubt that NZ is selling CPH/OSL/ARN/HEL-LAX (via LHR) as a through ticket, at least not as a discount. However if you buy your own ticket to LHR, then the NZ flight is a fabulous deal ($969 r/t on a random date I selected in February). Compared to about $1300 on the same dates ARN-(ORD)-LAX on SK and UA. The downside to that SK route is on UA you'll be in regular economy, not their Economy Plus and ORD-LAX is about a 4 hour flight. I'm sure you can get to LHR cheap enough to make that NZ deal work out as good or better than any other Star Alliance PE from Scandinavia.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.