Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Priority boarding using a *G card while boarding pass has no *G designation

Priority boarding using a *G card while boarding pass has no *G designation

Old Dec 29, 18, 2:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA PLT 1MM, Hyatt Discoverist, HHonors Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold, ClubCarlson Gold, IHG Plat Amb
Priority checkin/boarding using a *G card when b-pass has no *G designation

Hi all, I apologize if this has been asked before (but I couldnít locate the post). I have a 1K status thru United but planning to start slowly collecting miles on other *Alliance airlines.

That said I would like to start doing long haul Intl segment on United (to accrue UA miles) but shorter haul segment using other *Alliance (to accrue other *A moles). For example UA for LAX to FRA (and accrue UA miles) and then LH for intraEuropean segment (and accrue LH miles).

if I do it that way, I understand Iíll need to book the long haul and short haul separately but how would priority boarding and priority bags work (on the short haul)? Can I show my United *G card to get priority check in and priority boarding at the gate? Even when i donít plan to accrue UA miles for these segments?

thx in advance!

Last edited by Jamester; Dec 29, 18 at 2:54 pm Reason: Edited for clarification
Old Dec 29, 18, 5:22 pm

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
Originally Posted by Jamester View Post
Hi all, I apologize if this has been asked before (but I couldnít locate the post). I have a 1K status thru United but planning to start slowly collecting miles on other *Alliance airlines.

That said I would like to start doing long haul Intl segment on United (to accrue UA miles) but shorter haul segment using other *Alliance (to accrue other *A moles). For example UA for LAX to FRA (and accrue UA miles) and then LH for intraEuropean segment (and accrue LH miles).

if I do it that way, I understand Iíll need to book the long haul and short haul separately but how would priority boarding and priority bags work (on the short haul)? Can I show my United *G card to get priority check in and priority boarding at the gate? Even when i donít plan to accrue UA miles for these segments?

thx in advance!
No, you do not need to book it as a separate tickets - you can collect miles/points to a different programme on each segment. Having said that, it is sometimes bit tricky... But less tricky than risking misconnection on two separate tickets...
Old Dec 29, 18, 6:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Whether a given carrier and more importantly, a given LH agent permits you to board with a *G card rather than a status reflected on your boarding card is entirely localized. No way to predict what will happen and not worth worrying if you are forced to board with the masses.
Old Dec 29, 18, 6:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by vbroucek View Post
No, you do not need to book it as a separate tickets - you can collect miles/points to a different programme on each segment. Having said that, it is sometimes bit tricky... But less tricky than risking misconnection on two separate tickets...
Moreover, doing this on separate tickets is likely to be much more expensive than using a though fare on a single PNR/ticket, but of course there can be exceptions so YMMV.
Old Dec 29, 18, 8:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA PLT 1MM, Hyatt Discoverist, HHonors Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold, ClubCarlson Gold, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
Moreover, doing this on separate tickets is likely to be much more expensive than using a though fare on a single PNR/ticket, but of course there can be exceptions so YMMV.
Thanks everyone! So the takeaway here is YMMV and probably should just stick with making sure my UA Mileage Plus number is on all my boarding passes, if I want the *Gold recognition. Or suck it up and be part of the general travaler if I choose to use my non-status *A program (but at least still have *Gold lounge access). Sounds about right?

thx again!
Old Dec 29, 18, 9:48 pm

Programs: A3*G, AA-Exec, DL, UA*S, AS
Note that if you try to change United tickets midway, even after completing one segment, the miles could credit based on your later segment. Example once I did SFO-IAH-GIG (initially crediting to A3), changed FF for IAH-GIG at IAH to UA, but miles for both SFO-IAH and IAH-GIG were credit to UA.

Similarly, your M&M number on LH tickets may be particularly sticky and could result in miles being sent to LH regardless.

If you are very particular about where you want your miles sent, you might consider having no FF# at all and retrocredit everything afterwards.
Old Dec 30, 18, 2:02 am

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze

Thanks everyone! So the takeaway here is YMMV and probably should just stick with making sure my UA Mileage Plus number is on all my boarding passes, if I want the *Gold recognition. Or suck it up and be part of the general travaler if I choose to use my non-status *A program (but at least still have *Gold lounge access). Sounds about right?

thx again!
NO!!! Generally, the best in cases like this is not to have any FFP entered and claim retrospectively... I think you need to do more reading and searching here at FT...
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Dec 30, 18, 8:47 am

Programs: SQ LPPS, A3 *G, BA Silver - renewed on only two sectors and no other OW flying, is BA desperate?.

thx again!

If you try to enter an LH lounge with a boarding pass in another programme and a gold card seperately the LH agent will insist on inputting the gold details and altering your boarding pass. If you decline they will tell you that access is not permitted with the boarding pass you hold and there is no flexibility on that.
Old Dec 30, 18, 2:32 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Nope, the lounge agent will scan your BP, see a denied message and then scan/swipe your physical *G card. No biggie.

At the gate there is usually a scrum to board in the priority group and agents often board everyone without much checking. Worst case you show the *G card. Emphasis on CARD. No app or any smart phone image.
Old Jan 1, 19, 7:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL PM
Originally Posted by oliver2002 View Post
Nope, the lounge agent will scan your BP, see a denied message and then scan/swipe your physical *G card. No biggie.

At the gate there is usually a scrum to board in the priority group and agents often board everyone without much checking. Worst case you show the *G card. Emphasis on CARD. No app or any smart phone image.
This assumes you actually have a card, the OP will of course as a 1K, but programs going to digital only cards are getting more common and even United does this now with Premier Gold and Silver. Premier Gold is Star Alliance Gold, but no plastic card is issued anymore. I think lounge agents and gate agents should be getting used to this now as it's already been in place for a couple of years.
Old Jan 2, 19, 9:47 am

Programs: SQ LPPS, A3 *G, BA Silver - renewed on only two sectors and no other OW flying, is BA desperate?.
Originally Posted by oliver2002 View Post
Not my experience, they insist on updating the BP.
Old Jan 2, 19, 11:59 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
In 2018 I flew TP and SK ex MUC where the system either didn't recognize my details in the non-LH BP or I had my SK FFP details in there. Each time the system said 'scan card/voucher' and a quick swipe of my LH card satisfied the system.
Old Jan 7, 19, 8:32 am

Programs: SQ(*G), A3(*G), LH(*S), SK, BA; Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, IHG Platinum Ambassador
Got priority boarding multiple times last year by showing a KrisFlyer Gold card when the BP itself had no *G on it via SQ. For the lounges it was a different issue - I often had to cite chapter and verse of *A regulations to get past the lounge dragons (and also one particularly hostile Fast Track dragon at MAD). Like Oliver says, you do need the physical card; anything else isn't going to cut it.
Old Jan 8, 19, 8:26 am

Programs: *A G, OW S, ST Elite.
My experience is also that they will insist on updating the boarding pass. I've had that with LH particularly when I've had other details in a business ticket and wanted to access a SEN lounge which requires gold. IME LH staff won't show any flexibility at all.
lhrpete likes this.
Old Jul 26, 19, 1:19 am

Programs: Miles & More Frequent Traveller
My experience is that I had my TK M&S FFP number on my boarding pass to collect miles (no *G status) and was able to able to access the business lounge in FRA simply by scanning my M&M FTL card (not *G either) in the mobile app, no problem at all. I can't remember if they scanned the boarding pass afterwards but certainly no change was made to it and miles credited properly to TK M&S.

Search this Thread