FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Star Alliance (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/star-alliance-413/)
-   -   Help with an interesting challange (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/star-alliance/1945234-help-interesting-challange.html)

flymexico2010 Dec 11, 2018 11:51 am

Help with an interesting challange

Hello experts,

I am trying to put together a ticket from MEX to SIN+MLE and to combine them in such a way that I get close to 25k miles for this itinerary.
Dates: April 2019
Stay: 2 nights SIN, 4 nights MLE.
Ideas: flying over Europe and returning over Pacific would make it a RTW trip which is interesting enough but the combination between Singapore Airlines and United drives the price too high.

Any ideas from you guys?
Thanks.

skywardhunter Dec 11, 2018 11:59 am

What have you found? On separate tickets via SIN you can get around $1.2k (not RTW), UA to SIN via SFO, and SIN-MLE on SQ.

flymexico2010 Dec 11, 2018 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by skywardhunter (Post 30523633)
What have you found? On separate tickets via SIN you can get around $1.2k (not RTW), UA to SIN via SFO, and SIN-MLE on SQ.

This is actually also what I found as best route and price.I wanted to fly over Europe to get into MLE in the morning instead 8 pm when flying from SIN. I really need to check if at that hour boat transfers are still available...

dvs7310 Dec 12, 2018 1:21 am

What are you finding via Europe? I don't recall what hour TK arrives in MLE and unfortunately they don't have traffic rights on the Fifth Freedom CMB-MLE flight, but you might find better deals to CMB than MLE. KE does have traffic rights on that route (It's very short so the few missing PQMs won't matter) and naturally there are a few flights per day on UL. Same thing on your return, especially if trying to piece together one way flights, you might be better served searching from CMB than MLE. I don't know if this will be helpful for you from North America, but when I was looking for a hidden city "discount" on MLE-CMB I found COK and TRV to be quite useful, though you need a stopover in Sri Lanka to break the trip so they don't check for an Indian visa when you check in at MLE.

If you don't mind getting the Indian e-visa, UA sometimes runs some decent deals to India and you could get down to MLE fairly easily from there. Realize it's a bit out of the way, but I've often seen ex-LIM price out better than any other point of origin in Latin America for Asia flights. For TK flights it's also worth checking PTY and BOG, though PTY is rarely discounted.

flymexico2010 Dec 12, 2018 5:53 am

Originally Posted by dvs7310 (Post 30526082)
What are you finding via Europe? I don't recall what hour TK arrives in MLE and unfortunately they don't have traffic rights on the Fifth Freedom CMB-MLE flight, but you might find better deals to CMB than MLE. KE does have traffic rights on that route (It's very short so the few missing PQMs won't matter) and naturally there are a few flights per day on UL. Same thing on your return, especially if trying to piece together one way flights, you might be better served searching from CMB than MLE. I don't know if this will be helpful for you from North America, but when I was looking for a hidden city "discount" on MLE-CMB I found COK and TRV to be quite useful, though you need a stopover in Sri Lanka to break the trip so they don't check for an Indian visa when you check in at MLE.

If you don't mind getting the Indian e-visa, UA sometimes runs some decent deals to India and you could get down to MLE fairly easily from there. Realize it's a bit out of the way, but I've often seen ex-LIM price out better than any other point of origin in Latin America for Asia flights. For TK flights it's also worth checking PTY and BOG, though PTY is rarely discounted.

THANK YOU.Good ideas to check.With CMB I was already playing around..will try also from BOG or PTY.

skywardhunter Dec 12, 2018 6:29 am

Originally Posted by flymexico2010 (Post 30526607)
THANK YOU.Good ideas to check.With CMB I was already playing around..will try also from BOG or PTY.

If you're open to throwing in some non-*A, EK flies CMB-MLE and usually has good fares, especially in premium cabins, but arrives only at 9.25pm

flymexico2010 Dec 12, 2018 12:40 pm

Well arriving that late in MLE is something I want to avoid...
Actually the MEX SFO SIN fare is really good.The challenge is to get from SIN to MLE in the morning and if possible getting some *A miles...avoiding Air Asia flights through KUL.

skywardhunter Dec 12, 2018 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by flymexico2010 (Post 30528230)
Well arriving that late in MLE is something I want to avoid...
Actually the MEX SFO SIN fare is really good.The challenge is to get from SIN to MLE in the morning and if possible getting some *A miles...avoiding Air Asia flights through KUL.

Perhaps TG via BKK with a short hop on one of the LCCs if necessary

flymexico2010 Dec 13, 2018 4:22 pm

Have not found any better fare to CMB or other closer airports, and from S.America nothing better as MEX at this moment.LIM PTY BOG higher prices to Asia...

flymexico2010 Dec 18, 2018 10:20 pm

What otger combination of Maldives +interesting city in Asia would you do on Star Alliance for a reasonable price?
I was blocked with SIN+MLE but now I am also seeing alternatives for SIN to get to know a new city.

thanks for any ideas

dvs7310 Dec 20, 2018 6:23 am

Originally Posted by flymexico2010 (Post 30551571)
What otger combination of Maldives +interesting city in Asia would you do on Star Alliance for a reasonable price?
I was blocked with SIN+MLE but now I am also seeing alternatives for SIN to get to know a new city.

thanks for any ideas

Depends on what you like to do and where you've already been in Asia. CMB is interesting and very nearby MLE. BKK, CGK, SGN all pretty easy and are short connections if flying SQ. Maybe PNH or RGN also.

flymexico2010 Dec 20, 2018 11:47 am

We only visited SIN ..so the range of cities is pretty open and large :)

flymexico2010 Jan 25, 2019 6:50 pm

Changing a bit the topic...would you prefere to fly Y on Singapore Airlines or just get Y+ on United?
Trying to decide which airline to use now...

dvs7310 Jan 26, 2019 8:50 pm

Originally Posted by flymexico2010 (Post 30701582)
Changing a bit the topic...would you prefere to fly Y on Singapore Airlines or just get Y+ on United?
Trying to decide which airline to use now...

Personally I'd go Economy Plus on United, but it depends on how tall you are and the length of your legs. SQ has better entertainment and food usually but the seat pitch is too tight for me to be comfortable on such a long flight.