Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Does Star Alliance Gold extend extra baggage allowance to your traveling com

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2018, 9:33 am
Original Poster

Does Star Alliance Gold extend extra baggage allowance to your traveling companion?

This was asked some years ago and the answer was no. Does anyone know if that is still the case?

Old Dec 9, 2018, 11:31 am
Suspended

Programs: SQ LPPS, A3 *G, BA Silver aiming for Bronze
The answer is still no.

Some members allow extra for their top tiers e.g. SQ PPS does on SQ flights but I'm not sure of any other exceptions.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 2:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
No, *A does not.

Your home program may choose to do so and another carrier might choose to permit it. But *G is personal to you alone.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 2:52 am

Programs: TK*G
I'm TK*G and my companion on the same ticket has always all my benefits when travelling UA (premier access, baggage allowance)
zeer0 likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 4:32 am

How can you have your companion on the same ticket? You certainly mean the same booking, i.e. same PNR. Still, I never had this "privilege" flying UA (I'm M+B gold). My wife got nothing free from them!
Often1 likes this.

Last edited by KLouis; Dec 10, 2018 at 7:23 pm
Old Dec 10, 2018, 4:39 am

Programs: TK*G
Yes, same booking.
I always had it on UA and other *A carriers, but i don't remember well.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 4:04 am

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), KQ Asante Gold (ST+), Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold
OP, ignore the first couple of answers, they don't know what they are talking about.

*G baggage allowance is ALWAYS extended to your companion (+1) as long as they are on the same PNR.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 4:06 am

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), KQ Asante Gold (ST+), Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by KLouis
How can you have your companion on the same ticket? You certainly mean the same booking, i.e. same PNR. Still, I never had this "privilege" flying UA (I'm M+B gold). My wife got nothing free from them!
Then you weren't on the same PNR, or the agent screwed up.

I fly UA with companion multiple times a year as a non-UA *G and my companion always gets ALL the benefits I do, including an extra checked bag, as long as we are on the same PNR.

This goes for all *A carriers.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 11:13 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by zeer0
OP, ignore the first couple of answers, they don't know what they are talking about.

*G baggage allowance is ALWAYS extended to your companion (+1) as long as they are on the same PNR.
Please provide a reference showing this is a published entitlement.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lhrpete
No mention of non status passenger on the same PNR as gold status passenger getting benefits in Star web site.
Not listed here:-. https://www.staralliance.com/en/gold-status
Extra Baggage Allowance

You can take an extra 20 kg (44 pounds) where the weight concept applies or an extra piece where the piece concept applies.

Some airlines do not offer this benefit on individual flights but only on connecting Star Alliance flights. Within Europe on "Light" fares offered by Lufthansa, Austrian & SWISS, "Check&Go" fares offered by Brussels Airlines and “Go light” fares offered by SAS as well as on “Seat” fares offered by Air New Zealand, the extra baggage allowance is not offered.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by lhrpete
Lots of things aren't published on the *A site.

I am a *G that flies multiple times a year on a variety of *A carriers with a variety of non status companions. And my companion always gets all the *G benefits I do, including extra baggage allowance, as long as they are on the same PNR.

Nowhere do I see the *A site saying that priority check in extends to guests, but we all take that for granted.

Last edited by zeer0; Dec 15, 2018 at 6:47 pm
Old Dec 15, 2018, 10:11 pm

I fly UA with companion multiple times a year as a non-UA *G and my companion always gets ALL the benefits I do, including an extra checked bag, as long as we are on the same PNR.

Not having flown UA since 7 years I can't know whether they haven't changed their policy in the meantime. On the other hand, I'm about to form the opinion that you are what the Germans call a Besserwisser, at least as far as all *A companies are concerned.A3 is indeed a *A member, I have more than 500 flights with them, some of which with my wife, and here's a screenshot from my next booking where you can clearly see that I get a free piece of luggage while she doesn't. Yes, of course I can guest her in the lounge, yes, nobody ever said anything when she goes through security fast lane, yes, I take her along during priority boarding or check-in, but these are not published benefits of non-golds!

N.B. Sorry, but the site refuses my attached image. I'll contact the tech people and will try to re-upload it. For the time being take my word for it

Last edited by KLouis; Dec 15, 2018 at 10:21 pm
Old Dec 16, 2018, 2:45 am
Suspended

I have a similar booking on SK at present where I get three bags and my *S traveling companion gets two bags. That is the reality. If some carriers make exceptions so be it but the policy is no extra bag.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 4:56 am

Ha! You get three (s) gets two!!!! If you were correct (s)he would be getting three like you.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 12:42 pm

Programs: *A G, HHonors Gold, Marriot Gold, Skywards Silver

This just isn’t true. Most airports may let your companion get priority security and boarding as you wouldn’t separate *Gs from their travelling companions. It depends from carrier to carrier but in my experience my companion has never received any of the benefits and always have been on the same PNRs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.