FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Star Alliance (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/star-alliance-413/)
-   -   One hour connection or 7 hours connection in CGK (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/star-alliance/1941141-one-hour-connection-7-hours-connection-cgk.html)

khunpaul3 Nov 18, 2018 5:17 am

One hour connection or 7 hours connection in CGK

Hello, I am new here.

I plan to booking on Star Alliance of Thai Airways and Singapore from BKK to SIN via CGK in mid-Jan 2019. I use my mileage to upgrade on both airlines.

TG B787 to CGK from BKK and SQ A359 to SIN (7 hours connection) from CGK

or

TG B777 to CGK and SQ A359 to SIN (one hour connection).

which one the connection flights are best?

Do you understand me?

KLouis Nov 18, 2018 5:36 am

No, I don't understand you! Best in which sense? Certainly not fastest, so? You mean 787 vs 777? And why fly longer when you can fly non-stop? Finally, what if your ~1 hour long connection (is it cheaper?) is screwed by a delay of the incoming flight? And more questions that you don't address...

PS Welcome to FT!

khunpaul3 Nov 18, 2018 5:46 am

Thank you Klouis. I found out on SQ website the night flight SQ983 of B787 Dreamliner switched to A330. From BKK to SIN on mostly SQ A330 flights. TG fly B777-300 non-ER and A350 to SIN.

I had been flown on TG B777 before, I want to fly something different aircrafts on TG B787 and SQ A350. SQ A350 has a big business class seat.

i am using UA award tickets

PiperAtGatesofDawn Nov 18, 2018 2:14 pm

I think for a 2 hour flight I wouldn't care if a seat was 2-3 inches smaller esp. given my alternative was to do a hoping flight through CGK: with a 1 hour or 7 hour transfer window!

3 inches of seat space would never be worth that much to me that I'd like to make a 2 hour flight a 12 flight with a 7 hour stop in CGK!

Now this is FT where people love flying but even then this sounds like going to quite an extreme. I'd do this direct any day.

khunpaul3 Nov 19, 2018 1:45 am

Originally Posted by PiperAtGatesofDawn (Post 30443049)
I think for a 2 hour flight I wouldn't care if a seat was 2-3 inches smaller esp. given my alternative was to do a hoping flight through CGK: with a 1 hour or 7 hour transfer window!

3 inches of seat space would never be worth that much to me that I'd like to make a 2 hour flight a 12 flight with a 7 hour stop in CGK!

Now this is FT where people love flying but even then this sounds like going to quite an extreme. I'd do this direct any day.

What do you think the business seat on SQ A350?

Jaimito Cartero Nov 19, 2018 1:49 am

I’d never try a one hour international connection at CGK or most other airports.

PiperAtGatesofDawn Nov 19, 2018 2:29 am

Originally Posted by khunpaul3 (Post 30444449)

The A350 seat is very nice... fully flat, wider than many F seats... and all that good stuff. The A330 seat is angular flat. Service on both will be great.

So is it worth it to make it a 12 hour trip just for that seat? Nope. You don't need a fully flat seat on a 2 hour flight.

lhrpete Nov 20, 2018 2:43 am

Originally Posted by khunpaul3 (Post 30444449)

I don't rate the current SQ business seats though I've yet to try the 787. The others to me are too hard and while OK as a flat bed, if you simply want to put your feet up the leg rest is useless - only elevates to about 45 degrees and otherwise you are forced to sit at an angle with your feet in the cubby hole - resulting in back pain. On a short sector you are unlikely to want the flat bed so I would avoid SQ - they are not as polished as they make out!

khunpaul3 Nov 20, 2018 5:33 am

Originally Posted by lhrpete (Post 30448024)
I don't rate the current SQ business seats though I've yet to try the 787. The others to me are too hard and while OK as a flat bed, if you simply want to put your feet up the leg rest is useless - only elevates to about 45 degrees and otherwise you are forced to sit at an angle with your feet in the cubby hole - resulting in back pain. On a short sector you are unlikely to want the flat bed so I would avoid SQ - they are not as polished as they make out!

Oh ok. I wanted to fly on SQ 787 from MNL to SIN but dropped and fly on PAL instead in Jan 2019

khunpaul3 Nov 20, 2018 5:34 am

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero (Post 30444456)
I’d never try a one hour international connection at CGK or most other airports.

Oh ok. I dropped the plan fly to CGK from BKK and to SIN