Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Another request for luggage, seat help LH and UA award tix

Old Nov 16, 18, 4:52 am
Original Poster

I'm a little confused. I booked an award ticket on LH originating in Muenster, coach X (but I was able to pick my seat) with a connection in Munich, where I change to biz I class ticket (again I preselected my seat). That flight takes me to EWR, where my final flight to MCO is on UA X, in coach. I went to the United site and could not preselect a seat. Now I am starting to wonder, will I have to pay for my checked bag to Orlando? I am assuming in EWR I will go claim it off the carousel and walk it through customs, and if I do that, when I recheck it at UA won't they ask me to pay? Or will it be sent through to MCO? I've never been through EWR before and have no idea how the system works.
Old Nov 16, 18, 7:05 am

Programs: UA, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
If all one ticket, your bag will be checked through to MCO but you will have to pick it up in EWR to bring it through Customs. Then you'll drop it off after Customs to be handled by the airline to MCO. You should not have to pay.
Old Nov 16, 18, 8:23 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG75K; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
Originally Posted by elizadoo View Post
I went to the United site and could not preselect a seat.
That doesn't sound right. Were you able to access the reservation?
Old Nov 16, 18, 12:50 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
You could access your reservation but not select your seats on the UA leg? I’m not sure if it could be because all the E are taken and only E+ are available?

Also, your luggage will be through checked to MCO. However you will have to collect it at EWR go through customs and hand it over to UA baggage team outside the customs hall. You won’t be charged for it. All assuming you’re on a single ticket.
Old Nov 16, 18, 3:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
More importantly, under US law, your baggage allowance is the same as the allowance for your FMO-EWR flight. It is unclear whether this is an LH or a UA award, but that will determine the marketing carrier and thus your allowance. Not only won't you pay even if you have to recheck your bag at EWR because it is not tagged (rather than simply dropping it post CBP), but that same allowance will apply to your return.

Search this Thread