Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Connecting time questions (HND, KIX, BKK, SIN)

Old Oct 19, 18, 7:58 pm
Original Poster

Hi all,

I booked an award ticket through AP and am getting a little concerned with some of the connection times, specifically one in KIX arriving from BKK at 07:00 and departing for HND at 08:10. I typically try to travel with only carry-on, will 1h10m be enough to traverse customs and the airport? What happens if the connecting flight is missed on an award ticket?

At HND the 10h40m will be overnight. I'll be arriving at 20:30 and departing at 07:10, the ANA Suite Lounge is open from 5:00 AM - 1:00 AM. From what I've been able to gather Suite Lounge access is granted within 24h of arrival time on F. Will I be able to access the lounge at night as well as early in the morning or is it a one time deal?

Also, of minimal concern, but I've heard a lot of good things about the Thai first class at BKK. Will 2h40m and 3h25m allow sufficient time to visit and enjoy the experience or is it cutting it too close?

Lastly, any suggestions for 2h50m at SIN?

YYZ > ORD - UA Y
11:59-17:25
5:26
ORD > HND - NH F
20:30-07:10
10:40
HND > KIX - NH Y
08:25-11:45
3:20
KIX > BKK - TG F
15:35-18:15
2:40
BKK > SGN - TG J
-Stop.
SGN > SIN - SQ J
15:30-18:20
2:50
SIN > DPS - SQ J
-Turn.
DPS > BKK - TG J
20:05-23:30
3:25
BKK > KIX - TG F
07:00-08:10
1:10
KIX > HND - NH Y
-Stop.
HND > ORD - NH F
08:40-17:50
9:10
ORD > YYZ - UA Y

Last edited by Too_Fly1; Oct 20, 18 at 2:37 pm
Old Oct 19, 18, 8:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend and Moderator: Air Canada Aeroplan & Manufactured Spending

Exclamation

As the fact that this is an Aeroplan redemption seems incidental to the poster's questions the thread has been relocated from the Air Canada/Aeroplan forum to the Star Alliance forum for further discussion.

tcook052
Air Canada forum moderator
Old Oct 20, 18, 7:16 am

Is everything on one ticket? If yes then you will be re booked in case of a delay. It then depends if there is space and if the airline rebooks you to flights on other carriers. Worst case you could be stuck for a day or two somewhere on the way.
If you are on multiple tickets and you miss the first flight of a new ticket you are usually on your own.
It seems that you meet the MCT requirements. You can check sites like flightradar24 and others how often certain flights arrive late.

I assume you mean TG (Thai), not TK (Turkish) for some of the inner-Asia flights. The TG F lounge in BKK is nice, but except the massage there is not much you can do. The food offerings are better than in the TG business lounges, but nowhere near to what you find in the F lounges of CX, LH, LX, AF etc. Just book your massage immediately when you arrive.
Old Oct 20, 18, 5:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Unterwegs View Post
Is everything on one ticket? If yes then you will be re booked in case of a delay. It then depends if there is space and if the airline rebooks you to flights on other carriers. Worst case you could be stuck for a day or two somewhere on the way.
If you are on multiple tickets and you miss the first flight of a new ticket you are usually on your own.
It seems that you meet the MCT requirements. You can check sites like flightradar24 and others how often certain flights arrive late.

I assume you mean TG (Thai), not TK (Turkish) for some of the inner-Asia flights. The TG F lounge in BKK is nice, but except the massage there is not much you can do. The food offerings are better than in the TG business lounges, but nowhere near to what you find in the F lounges of CX, LH, LX, AF etc. Just book your massage immediately when you arrive.
Sorry, I did mean TG and everything is on one redemption. The one I'm most concerned about is the final KIX connection to HND. If that connection is missed will the airlines handle the rebooking? I've read that on award flights if a leg of the trip is missed the remaining flights will be canceled, this doesn't apply to missing a connection?
Old Oct 20, 18, 5:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Too_Fly1 View Post
The one I'm most concerned about is the final KIX connection to HND. If that connection is missed will the airlines handle the rebooking? I've read that on award flights if a leg of the trip is missed the remaining flights will be canceled, this doesn't apply to missing a connection?
NH is the carrier for KIX-HND so it is responsible for getting you there. If your flight is delayed, NH will rebook you on the next flight to ORD and onward.
Your itinerary will not be cancelled.
Also, HND is a very good airport for making short connections.
Old Oct 20, 18, 10:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL PM
Looks to me that your short connection is at KIX, most likely you'll be fine, Japan immigration and customs are quite efficient. You can enter security on domestic flights in Japan up to 15 minutes before departure, and flights don't even start boarding until 15 minutes before departure, also the domestic flight area of KIX isn't very large. If you do miss it, it's a non-issue, there are 7 more flights per day after the one you're scheduled on, they'll (NH) just move you to the next one with space. Since it looks like you're staying a night in Tokyo then worst case scenario you arrive in Tokyo a few hours later than planned. If you are severely delayed in BKK before boarding, then have TG move you to a direct Tokyo flight, they have several flights per day to both HND and NRT, though many of them do not have F class, so you might have to suck it up in C in that scenario.

At HND, you won't be able to access any airside lounges after arrival on the inbound if you have an overnight. There is a very small arrivals lounge that you are entitled to use as an NH F or C customer, but if you're going to a hotel in the vicinity then there isn't really much point. As for accessing airside, you will only be allowed to enter on the day of your departure and the domestic lounge is nothing special at all, I wouldn't go out of my way to get to the airport early.

For SIN, if you don't want to go to the SQ SKL, then there are loads of activities at Changi. Have a look at the airport website to see what's on offer in your terminal. They have designed that airport to be as comfortable and entertaining as possible for long connections.

Search this Thread