2019 Mileage run for *A gold

Old Oct 10, 18, 12:55 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 18
2019 Mileage run for *A gold

Hi,

I am determined to achieve *A gold in 2019! Assuming I start from scratch and mostly flying out of YVR, anyone has any suggestions on best (cheapest?) to achieve *A gold with AC or any other *A airlines?

Thanks!
goodmali is offline  
Old Oct 10, 18, 1:20 am
  #2  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: YVR
Programs: AC E75K 2MM former 14-year SE; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Posts: 28,147
Originally Posted by goodmali View Post
Hi,

I am determined to achieve *A gold in 2019! Assuming I start from scratch and mostly flying out of YVR, anyone has any suggestions on best (cheapest?) to achieve *A gold with AC or any other *A airlines?

Thanks!
You can look for some relatively good TPAC P fares on AC... they come up occasionally.

So are you saying that you don't really care which airline program you stick with just as long as its *A, and you don't care who you fly just as long as you get *G?

Last edited by yyznomad; Oct 10, 18 at 1:39 am
yyznomad is offline  
Old Oct 10, 18, 1:26 am
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 18
Originally Posted by yyznomad View Post
You can look for some relatively good TATL P fares on AC... they come up occasionally.

So are you saying that you don't really care which airline program you stick with just as long as its *A, and you don't care who you fly just as long as you get *G?
Thanks! Yes any airlines! What routes do you suggest with A3 from YVR to get the required miles while spending the least? Much appreciated.
goodmali is offline  
Old Oct 10, 18, 1:28 am
  #4  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 18
Also please let me know which TATL P fares on AC I should be looking for from YVR. Thanks again!
goodmali is offline  
Old Oct 10, 18, 1:29 am
  #5  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: YVR
Programs: AC E75K 2MM former 14-year SE; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Posts: 28,147
Originally Posted by goodmali View Post
Thanks! Yes any airlines! What routes do you suggest with A3 from YVR to get the required miles while spending the least? Much appreciated.
Many here, including myself, have had some success with ~$3K CAD AC P fares TPAC ex-YVR and ex-YYZ... you could try NRT or ICN, for example?
This is just my experience and what I normally do.

Last edited by yyznomad; Oct 10, 18 at 1:39 am
yyznomad is offline  
Old Oct 10, 18, 1:31 am
  #6  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 18
Thank you!
goodmali is offline  
Old Oct 10, 18, 1:33 am
  #7  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: YVR
Programs: AC E75K 2MM former 14-year SE; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Posts: 28,147
I'm not sure if this is getting off topic or not (?), but to answer your question regarding *A, I also do LO quite often for my TATLs... and they sometimes have good discounted C fares sub $3K CAD for TATLs via WAW. (but this is out of YYZ so it will probably be more expensive ex-YVR)

I know others here will have a ton of examples and experiences regarding other *A carriers as well, including AC.
yyznomad is offline  
Old Oct 10, 18, 1:40 am
  #8  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: YVR
Programs: AC E75K 2MM former 14-year SE; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Posts: 28,147
@goodmali

Sorry, I made a typo - I mean TPAC not TATL for ex-YVR P fares.

Also, anecdotally here on FT (because I've never tried it myself), it is known that flights ex-USA on AC connecting via Canada to international can be cheaper than if originating in Canada.
As such, you might want to take a look at flights ex-SEA or ex-PDX for example via YVR for a TPAC or TATL... and find a way to reposition via reward flights or even driving down... depending on how invested you are on getting your status... just throwing that in there. I know many here have lots of experience doing similar.
yyznomad is offline  
Old Oct 10, 18, 1:42 am
  #9  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 18
Thank you so much! This is very useful.
goodmali is offline  
Old Oct 10, 18, 2:04 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: west coast best coast
Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
Posts: 3,210
You can buy *G outright from Avianca for $2200. On the internet, you can also buy/trade *G nominations from other elites informally. *G is probably worth $500 or less, and not worth mileage running for, to be honest.
foreigncontent and zeer0 like this.
keitherson is offline  
Old Oct 10, 18, 5:31 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: YYZ/YYC
Programs: AC SE100K; SQ KF Elite Gold; AS MVP 75k; DL Plat.; Hilton Gold; SPG/Marriott Gold; IHG Gold;
Posts: 42
You can also try TPE from YVR. I've done 4 TPACs to TPE from YYZ/YYC/YUL all routing through YVR of course on AC this year. Some excellent P fares and Taiwan is a great place to visit whether just for a weekend or a bit longer. As suggested upthread you can also try NRT/ICN. One of my trips to TPE was actually YYZ-ICN-TPE-YVR-YYZ on a super cheap P fare with the intra Asia connection on BR. I earned ~23K AQM and probably paid about 3100$ for it. Other times I've managed to find YVR-NRT for less than 3K but these deals are harder to come by when chasing status on AC because of AQD...
Indiavictorcharlie is offline  
Old Oct 10, 18, 7:37 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: I'm From Here
Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
Posts: 3,848
The big question is....will you actually use your *G in 2019.

I know it is great to have but thinking about all that money you are spending. Is it just for lounge access (credit card) or priority boarding, or what.

Status is one of those things that naturally becomes nice due to volume of travel. If you are using it so you can use the business class line for a family vacation once or twice, it probably isn't work it (IMHO)

It is your money, of course
lcohen999 is offline  
Old Oct 10, 18, 9:24 am
  #13  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 18
Originally Posted by Indiavictorcharlie View Post
You can also try TPE from YVR. I've done 4 TPACs to TPE from YYZ/YYC/YUL all routing through YVR of course on AC this year. Some excellent P fares and Taiwan is a great place to visit whether just for a weekend or a bit longer. As suggested upthread you can also try NRT/ICN. One of my trips to TPE was actually YYZ-ICN-TPE-YVR-YYZ on a super cheap P fare with the intra Asia connection on BR. I earned ~23K AQM and probably paid about 3100$ for it. Other times I've managed to find YVR-NRT for less than 3K but these deals are harder to come by when chasing status on AC because of AQD...
Thank you! $3100 for ~23K miles is around 13 cents per mile. Since I am new to the game, I am not sure how good that is What CPM should I aim for?
goodmali is offline  
Old Oct 10, 18, 9:26 am
  #14  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 18
Originally Posted by lcohen999 View Post
The big question is....will you actually use your *G in 2019.

I know it is great to have but thinking about all that money you are spending. Is it just for lounge access (credit card) or priority boarding, or what.

Status is one of those things that naturally becomes nice due to volume of travel. If you are using it so you can use the business class line for a family vacation once or twice, it probably isn't work it (IMHO)

It is your money, of course
Your arguments are all valid but I still want to do it
goodmali is offline  
Old Oct 10, 18, 9:26 am
  #15  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 18
Originally Posted by keitherson View Post
You can buy *G outright from Avianca for $2200. On the internet, you can also buy/trade *G nominations from other elites informally. *G is probably worth $500 or less, and not worth mileage running for, to be honest.
Can you please link me to Aviana for $2200? That would be awesome! Thank you
goodmali is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread