Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Star Alliances Lounges - ORD

Old Oct 9, 2018, 4:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz PC

Hi Everyone - I couldn't easily find this, but I'm sure there's a thread somewhere.

I'm flying domestic, economy United, but *Gold through ORD and have about 3 hours to kill. Recommendations for the best lounges? I don't mind walking. Also are all of the T5 ones International only?

Thanks in advance!

- Tom
Old Oct 9, 2018, 5:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
You have no lounge access on domestic UA itineraries as a UA *Gold traveller (unless you have a UC membership).
Why do you think you do?
Old Oct 9, 2018, 5:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UAPremExecflyer
You have no lounge access on domestic UA itineraries as a UA *Gold traveller (unless you have a UC membership).
Why do you think you do?
I access the * Alliance TBIT in LAX all the time, Star Alliance Gold flying domestic United. But I haven't had time to check out other airports, and researching what I may or may not have access to.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 6:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by tstauck
I access the * Alliance TBIT in LAX all the time, Star Alliance Gold flying domestic United. But I haven't had time to check out other airports, and researching what I may or may not have access to.
The internet is your friend. The Star Alliance website provides a "lounge finder" function which takes into account the various variables.

https://www.staralliance.com/en/miles-and-benefits
tstauck likes this.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 12:30 am

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Unfortunately UA does not grant access to the United Club to their own *G members (there are just way too many of them). The only lounges you'd be able to access domestic are other *A carriers' lounges and the *A lounge in LAX. LH and TK lounges in IAD are a good example. Not sure how many other *A carrier lounges still exist that are also accessible from UA flyers on domestic itineraries. The ones in SFO are gone, the ones in ORD are in T5 which you can't access, same with EWR. Not sure if MIA or MCO have AV or CM lounges or not.
tstauck and cuthroat like this.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 12:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dvs7310
Unfortunately UA does not grant access to the United Club to their own *G members (there are just way too many of them). The only lounges you'd be able to access domestic are other *A carriers' lounges and the *A lounge in LAX. LH and TK lounges in IAD are a good example. Not sure how many other *A carrier lounges still exist that are also accessible from UA flyers on domestic itineraries. The ones in SFO are gone, the ones in ORD are in T5 which you can't access, same with EWR. Not sure if MIA or MCO have AV or CM lounges or not.
OK, that helps - thank you!
Old Oct 10, 2018, 12:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
The internet is your friend. The Star Alliance website provides a "lounge finder" function which takes into account the various variables.

https://www.staralliance.com/en/miles-and-benefits
Thank you. it does confirm what I thought:

Star Alliance Gold Customers travelling in any class of travel

As a Star Alliance Gold customer travelling in any class on a Star Alliance member airline operated flight, you have access to any member airline lounge at the airport where your flight departs
Old Oct 10, 2018, 5:51 pm

Programs: LH*S (FTL), OZ*G, Accor gold, HH Diamond
Read the fine print: ;-)

"If you are a United MileagePlus Star Alliance Gold customer, you may only access the United Clubs within the U.S. when departing from that airport on an international Star Alliance flight, not when departing on a domestic flight with United."
Old Oct 10, 2018, 10:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I think the question OP should be asking is whether he can access the LX or SK lounges in T5 (since he definitively will not have UC access).

There are mixed reports of accessing T5 with a UA domestic BP.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 10:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kacee
I think the question OP should be asking is whether he can access the LX or SK lounges in T5 (since he definitively will not have UC access).

There are mixed reports of accessing T5 with a UA domestic BP.
Yes. that is the question and I might just ask when I land in ORD (although not too sure how helpful the airport staff will be). I do understand I won't have UC access. Wish there were more * Alliance lounges like the one in LAX

Thanks,
- Tom
Old Oct 11, 2018, 10:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Yes. that is the question and I might just ask when I land in ORD (although not too sure how helpful the airport staff will be).
You'll probably get better answers in the UA forum. If you make it UA specific ("can I access T5 with a UA domestic boarding pass") there's at least a chance the mods won't move your post back over here.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 12:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kacee
You'll probably get better answers in the UA forum. If you make it UA specific ("can I access T5 with a UA domestic boarding pass") there's at least a chance the mods won't move your post back over here.
Thanks for the tip and will try that
Old Oct 15, 2018, 3:15 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
You will be allowed into the SK & LX lounges in T5 as a UA *G.

Also, you probably will be allowed access to T5 with a same day boarding pass. I’ve personally not tried it in ORD but wherever I have tried in the US I have got access to a non departure terminal eg: EWR, LAX etc. to access the lounge. TSA are aware of this and permit it.

Make sure you have enough time to return to your terminal. You’ll have to go through security again which depending on the time of day in ORD might not make it worth the effort. It’s a long way back to T1/T2. And neither lounges are that great.
tstauck and cuthroat like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.