NH or OZ first?

Old Oct 3, 18, 3:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: NZ *G
NH or OZ first?

NH from ORD to TYO (77W) or OZ from JFK to ICN (A380).. Both look good to this "only-flown-First-once-and-that-was-BA" guy....

Opinions? Thanks...
Old Oct 3, 18, 9:13 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by trooper View Post
NH from ORD to TYO (77W) or OZ from JFK to ICN (A380).. Both look good to this "only-flown-First-once-and-that-was-BA" guy....

Opinions? Thanks...
Try doing a search "NH vs OZ" ... OZ F or NH F, ICN/NRT to JFK is one of many threads
trooper likes this.
Old Oct 3, 18, 11:24 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG75K; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
NH. While OZ gives you a bigger suite with more privacy, and warmer service from the FAs, NH is the better airline in pretty much every other respect.

As an added bonus, you can use the Polaris lounge at ORD.
Old Oct 3, 18, 1:01 pm

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Both are great. I would do JFK-ICN over ORD-TYO only because it is a longer flight.
NH food slightly better, OZ seat slightly better.
Old Oct 3, 18, 4:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG75K; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
Originally Posted by IluvSQ View Post
OZ seat slightly better.
Just curious are you referring to the seat size or comfort? The OZ seat is extremely spacious, but I did not find it particularly comfortable.
Old Oct 3, 18, 5:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UAPremExecflyer View Post
Try doing a search "NH vs OZ" ... OZ F or NH F, ICN/NRT to JFK is one of many threads
Thanks...my search skills are seriously lacking!
Old Oct 4, 18, 12:47 am

Programs: UA 1K, DL PM
I'll be in the minority on this, but I'd go OZ. I like their food much better than NH. I assume they still do it, but haven't checked in a while, OZ has a pre-order service with quite an extensive menu for F. I seem to remember that I had to call in to order, but it's been 3 or 4 years ago, might be online now.

Something else you might want to consider, if using UA miles for this is LH via FRA. It opens up very frequently within 2 weeks of departure, gives you 2 good length F flights and the First Class Terminal in FRA is phenomenal. I'd do that route again in a heartbeat if I had the extra time vs going direct. F seat on OZ and NH is better than LH for certain, but I loved the total experience.
Old Oct 4, 18, 4:43 am
Original Poster

Thanks all... this was USA to Australia.... so unfortunately FRA was not an option... (and it is F only to Asia... then C to SYD with either option) Decided to go with NH from ORD.... for several reasons... Im going OVER on OZ (albeit in C), Ive been in C once long haul on NH and it was great so I assume F will be very good indeed.... ORD is easier to get to from where I'll be..... AND the Polaris Lounge sounds interesting....
Old Oct 4, 18, 10:12 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
Just curious are you referring to the seat size or comfort? The OZ seat is extremely spacious, but I did not find it particularly comfortable.
Both. I've flown the A380 in F 3 times on the ICN-JFK route, and had no problem sleeping, and finding good sitting/reclining positions.
Old Oct 4, 18, 8:33 pm

AND the Polaris Lounge sounds interesting....
Depends on which NH flight you'll be on. The early NH flight and the UA flight both leave too early to get anything from the lunch/dinner sit down dining menu, which is impressive. The bar is still open with some very nice selections, and the breakfast is good but I can't get excited over eggs and bacon no matter how nicely presented. If you're on the late NH flight (4pm-ish) then you'll be able to get the full Polaris lounge experience.
trooper likes this.
Old Oct 5, 18, 12:20 am

Just my two cents in addition to what already has been said:

- I prefer the 380 over the 777. Higher air pressure, air not as dry and far less noise. I usually have a light headache after a long 777 flight and usually not after the 380.
- I personally like service and food more on the 777
- When traveling with somebody it is difficult to talk to your fellow passenger on NH. They have a wall between the seats with a opening which is too far in front. Same if you want to look out the window.
- Long night flights are better for sleeping.
- Both airlines are good and far superior over BA F.
trooper likes this.
Old Oct 10, 18, 4:48 pm

Programs: No longer loyal "over-entitled" 1K
Thanks all... this was USA to Australia.... so unfortunately FRA was not an option... (and it is F only to Asia... then C to SYD with either option) Decided to go with NH from ORD.... for several reasons... Im going OVER on OZ (albeit in C), Ive been in C once long haul on NH and it was great so I assume F will be very good indeed.... ORD is easier to get to from where I'll be..... AND the Polaris Lounge sounds interesting....
You made a right decision. OZ is downgauging JFK-ICN to A350, so no F on that bird.
trooper likes this.
Old Oct 11, 18, 3:59 am

Originally Posted by kkjay77 View Post

You made a right decision. OZ is downgauging JFK-ICN to A350, so no F on that bird.
Holy crap, that's shocking. I'd think of all their routes with F service, that'd be one of the better sellers. I love the A350 in general, but that's a route I would not have expected to lose F on unless F is going the way of the Dodo on OZ.
Old Oct 31, 18, 10:45 am

Programs: UA MP, NW WP, AA
OZ's seat is spacious and comfortable. Service, on the other hand, was less than stellar on my recent LAX-ICN flight...
Old Nov 18, 18, 3:30 pm

Programs: UA 1MM Gold AA Gold NW Silver Marriott Plat. SPG Plat. Hilton Gold Hertz 5 Star
It may be a seasonal change for OZ

Search this Thread