Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Easiest way to achieve Star Alliance Gold for someone based in Vancouver?

Old Sep 28, 18, 2:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: *G, ST E+, OZ Diamond, DL GM, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold

I thought about posting this in the *A forum, but I was afraid the people that might know this answer may not be checking there so apologies there. I think with AC, Elite 50k will get Gold status? Are there easier ways to get Gold status for someone like me who is based in YVR?

Thanks!
Old Sep 28, 18, 2:14 pm

Programs: E35K, FPC Platinum
Yes for AC, Elite50K is the lowest level for star alliance gold status.

How do you typically fly. You can get that level either with 50 segments (providing they all quality for altitude), or simply fly 50K miles (altitude qualifying miles...)

So, I would imagine cheapest way is to fly TPAC in Flex fare a bunch of times, dunno cause I'm lowly e35k.
Old Sep 28, 18, 2:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by YVRYEGYVR View Post
Yes for AC, Elite50K is the lowest level for star alliance gold status.

How do you typically fly. You can get that level either with 50 segments (providing they all quality for altitude), or simply fly 50K miles (altitude qualifying miles...)

So, I would imagine cheapest way is to fly TPAC in Flex fare a bunch of times, dunno cause I'm lowly e35k.
I usually go with the cheapest airfare, but with time, I've become more interested in getting status with the alliances. What about flying with other airlines to achieve Gold status? Would it be easier with an airline like Singapore Airlines?
Old Sep 28, 18, 2:19 pm

Programs: E35K, FPC Platinum
Originally Posted by lsquare View Post
I usually go with the cheapest airfare, but with time, I've become more interested in getting status with the alliances. What about flying with other airlines to achieve Gold status? Would it be easier with an airline like Singapore Airlines?
I was the same- and chasing status meant stopping purchasing of basic/standard fares which simply don't give enough AQM, and also harder to upgrade from those tickets.
Not sure at all about other carriers and I never really thought about that- whether there is a big difference (price wise) in getting *G from AC vs other carriers (and being based in Canada).
Old Sep 28, 18, 2:22 pm

Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
The advantage of getting *A Gold through with UA is that minimum spend is a lot lower for folks not based in the US. Assuming you want to do this on the cheap, that is.
Old Sep 28, 18, 2:29 pm

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred, Nexus/GE
Being in YVR you also have SEA to work with. If you just want status every year, then there are cheap Air China flights as well as AIr Canada to PEK and Air Canada flights to TPE. We have flown ANA out of SEA as it was cheaper than ANA out of YVR, same AQM. Keep in mind that you have that AQD to worry about also and if you are thinking big picture and want that 1M then DXB is also cheap and from YVR you rack up the miles.

As you are in YVR some may say look at United's program as they are cheaper and always upgrading there folks, don't think i have ever seen an empty or near empty J or F cabin when flying UA. They do not think upgrading everyone is cheapening the product.
Old Sep 28, 18, 2:30 pm

Programs: Altitude E35K
I guess it depends what you want out of status. If you get *G with UA then you do not get any eupgrade credits to use with AC, right?
Old Sep 28, 18, 2:42 pm

Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by dr_torch View Post
I guess it depends what you want out of status. If you get *G with UA then you do not get any eupgrade credits to use with AC, right?
Correct.

But if the question is about the "easiest way to achieve Star Alliance Gold" for a YVR PAX, then it's a legitimate suggestion IMHO.
Old Sep 28, 18, 2:51 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Gold Elite, IHG Gold
I thought about posting this in the *A forum, but I was afraid the people that might know this answer may not be checking there so apologies there. I think with AC, Elite 50k will get Gold status? Are there easier ways to get Gold status for someone like me who is based in YVR?

Thanks!
Hi.

I am new to status this year and am based in YVR so may be able to give you some interesting perspective on what I have learned over the last 6 months or so.

It would be helpful if you could answer a few questions:
  • What are your "typical" destinations?
  • Do you fly on your own money or for work?
  • Will you be a FF long-term or is this a short season in your life?
  • How important is lounge access/quality?
That should be a good start to open this up.
Old Sep 28, 18, 3:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HerpaYvr View Post
Being in YVR you also have SEA to work with. If you just want status every year, then there are cheap Air China flights as well as AIr Canada to PEK and Air Canada flights to TPE. We have flown ANA out of SEA as it was cheaper than ANA out of YVR, same AQM. Keep in mind that you have that AQD to worry about also and if you are thinking big picture and want that 1M then DXB is also cheap and from YVR you rack up the miles.

As you are in YVR some may say look at United's program as they are cheaper and always upgrading there folks, don't think i have ever seen an empty or near empty J or F cabin when flying UA. They do not think upgrading everyone is cheapening the product.
Thanks guys. You definitely have my attention. What are the details and I'm assuming I can leverage any status with UA with Aeroplan redemption as well?
Old Sep 28, 18, 3:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WaytoomuchEurope View Post
Hi.

I am new to status this year and am based in YVR so may be able to give you some interesting perspective on what I have learned over the last 6 months or so.

It would be helpful if you could answer a few questions:
  • What are your "typical" destinations?
  • Do you fly on your own money or for work?
  • Will you be a FF long-term or is this a short season in your life?
  • How important is lounge access/quality?
That should be a good start to open this up.
I fly with my own money. I don't know if I have any typical destinations, but over the last few years, I have flown to HKG, YYZ, LGA/JFK, and BOS on a more consistent basis. I want to do this long term. Lounge access isn't that important even though I think it's a perk with Gold because I have Priority Pass.
Old Sep 28, 18, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K, BA Silver, Accor Plat, Marriott Gold, Carlson Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Bohemian1 View Post
The advantage of getting *A Gold through with UA is that minimum spend is a lot lower for folks not based in the US. Assuming you want to do this on the cheap, that is.
Yes, a lot lower, as in zero...
Also, every United metal fare earns 100% qualifying miles. Even the cheapest.
As Gold, you get free Economy Plus, which will make those trips to HKG a lot more comfortable than AC HDs.

UA*Gold is the easiest, and most useful *Gold for non-OPM flyers.
Old Sep 28, 18, 3:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rankourabu View Post
Yes, a lot lower, as in zero...
Also, every United metal fare earns 100% qualifying miles. Even the cheapest.
Zero?
Old Sep 28, 18, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K, BA Silver, Accor Plat, Marriott Gold, Carlson Gold, Hilton Gold
Zero?
Yes, zero, well, whatever you need to spend to get your 4 UA segments in.
I've requalified for 1K with <$1000 PQDs, since most of your qualifying can be non-United metal You can get a lot of qualifying miles fast flying quality foreign carriers, some in business earn 200% qualifying miles.
Even AC Tango fares earn 100% qualifying miles (except domestic)

Unlike earning AC status, you are not bound to one airline.
Old Sep 28, 18, 3:46 pm

Programs: BA GGL, FPC Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Amb
There are certainly programs with lower *G qualification requirements, but these come with caveats. For example, Aegean only needs 24,000 miles--but requires 4 Aegean/Olympic segments. And you're going to need these each year. Asiana has an interesting program because of its two year qualification and benefit period.

The other issue you should consider is, "who are you going to redeem with?" Generally speaking you are best off accumulating miles with the carrier that you intend to redeem with. Is it worth a slightly lower status threshold if you're accumulating miles that aren't giving you much of an advantage for redemption?

Search this Thread