Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Easiest way to achieve Star Alliance Gold for someone based in Vancouver?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Easiest way to achieve Star Alliance Gold for someone based in Vancouver?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2018, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by AC*SE
There are certainly programs with lower *G qualification requirements, but these come with caveats. For example, Aegean only needs 24,000 miles--but requires 4 Aegean/Olympic segments. And you're going to need these each year. Asiana has an interesting program because of its two year qualification and benefit period.

The other issue you should consider is, "who are you going to redeem with?" Generally speaking you are best off accumulating miles with the carrier that you intend to redeem with. Is it worth a slightly lower status threshold if you're accumulating miles that aren't giving you much of an advantage for redemption?
I'm new to this so I may be asking stupid questions, but what are the negatives about Asiana's program? That's really generous and might make a lot of sense for me. Will I get all of my miles credited to Asiana even with the cheapest Air China and Air Canada fares? I have been hoarding Aeroplan miles and I haven't redeemed any recently. Not sure how this will impact me if I start crediting my flights to Asiana.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 4:11 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
I live in Vancouver.

I'm not Star Alliance Gold any more - I don't fly as much for business as I used to - But I was for several years. In my case, I earned it on United Airlines. For me it was much easier to earn Gold than it was on Air Canada. As others have said, the qualification rules are easier to meet.

Plus, unlike Air Canada, once you earn Silver on United you are flooded with perks the day the status is recognized.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 4:20 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Originally Posted by lsquare
I'm new to this so I may be asking stupid questions, but what are the negatives about Asiana's program? That's really generous and might make a lot of sense for me. Will I get all of my miles credited to Asiana even with the cheapest Air China and Air Canada fares? I have been hoarding Aeroplan miles and I haven't redeemed any recently. Not sure how this will impact me if I start crediting my flights to Asiana.
Last point first, qualifying miles and spendable miles are different. Qualifing miles won't matter at all after a year, but spendable miles will be split.

I'm just off a week of design and requirement meetings. From that, bluntly, what do you do, what do you want to do, and what are you willing to change?

"I want *G" is not a want, but a solution. What is the problem? The wisdom here can get you to *G at the least effort, but for even less effort we might be able to help with the real need.

If you want to hang a *G membership card on the wall and. It care about it, I can't help you.

​​​​​​If you aren't willing to go on mileage runs on other nin-NA carriers, your choices are AC or UA. So who do you want to fly, and who do you credit to are the questions. What routes matter to you?

AC can get me where I want to go in better cabins than can UA, but UA does get me to more obscure outports. I get my AQD easily, so no need to play that game.

If you will organically get the AQD on AC, fly and credit AC.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 4:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by RangerNS
"I want *G" is not a want, but a solution. What is the problem? The wisdom here can get you to *G at the least effort, but for even less effort we might be able to help with the real need.
This.

What do you actually want? Priority Pass is cheaper than getting *G. Paying checked bag fees is cheaper than getting *G. A credit card with priority services is cheaper than getting *G.

Combine them all, and maybe *G is cheaper.

But what exactly do you want?
Old Sep 28, 2018, 5:34 pm

Programs: NZ*G, QF Bronze, VA Red
Originally Posted by canadiancow
This.

What do you actually want? Priority Pass is cheaper than getting *G. Paying checked bag fees is cheaper than getting *G. A credit card with priority services is cheaper than getting *G.

Combine them all, and maybe *G is cheaper.

If it's lounge access and you fly within the US a lot, UA*G doesn't really help as much anyway, as you won't get into lounges unless flying Polaris.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 5:37 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Originally Posted by kyanar
If it's lounge access and you fly within the US a lot, UA*G doesn't really help as much anyway, as you won't get into lounges unless flying Polaris.
If starting or ending in YVR, or any other Y\w\w airpoort, *G will get you in a lounge.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 6:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by kyanar
Irrelevant

OP is flying from Vancouver
Old Sep 28, 2018, 6:12 pm

Programs: HH Silver
After some consideration this really is more an Star Alliance forum post to me than and Air Canada forum topic so have relocated it to the Star Alliance forum for further discussion.

tcook052
Air Canada forum moderator
Old Sep 28, 2018, 8:26 pm

Programs: SPG(LTG), QANTAS gold, Korean, Accor Plat
I used Turkish as there is a low threshold and generous threshold for maintaining gold and there was no requirement regarding flying with Turkish. Just check to see if the fares you would generally use will qualify for accrual. Some like Lufthansa are often low to zero.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 11:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Will I get all of my miles credited to Asiana even with the cheapest Air China and Air Canada fares?
You need to distinguish between redeemable ff miles/points (for awards) and status earning.
Confusingly some ffp's also use the word miles for status earning. Other airlines use words like tier points or status credits or qualifying points.
Not all flights earn 100% redeemable ff miles. Especially on cheap flights
https://www.wheretocredit.com/air-canada/s (often a typical low cost fare)
https://www.wheretocredit.com/air-china/s

Originally Posted by canadiancow
A shiny colored bit of plastic??
Hard to know what benefits lsquare expects from ffp status.
Status usually has the most benefits on the airline that you have status with. Often less on other airlines
Old Sep 29, 2018, 1:45 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Status usually has the most benefits on the airline that you have status with. Often less on other airlines
So true.
if you are a *gold with Asiana, but fly mostly other airlines, you will have very little chance of getting upgrades with those other airlines.
As you indicated, lounge access is not your goal.
so the other perks are priority luggage tag, priority check in lines, priority boarding, free checked luggage.
lsquare likes this.

Last edited by Mama; Sep 29, 2018 at 1:52 pm
Old Sep 30, 2018, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by Mama
So true.
if you are a *gold with Asiana, but fly mostly other airlines, you will have very little chance of getting upgrades with those other airlines.
As you indicated, lounge access is not your goal.
so the other perks are priority luggage tag, priority check in lines, priority boarding, free checked luggage.
Yes, are these perks not worth it?
Old Sep 30, 2018, 5:31 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Yes, are these perks not worth it?
They are for some people, but not necessarily for everyone.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.