Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

OW flier with *A questions about best lounge/dining options in SFO and ZRH

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2018, 10:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, AS MVP Gold, UN Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond

Moderator, please move if this is not the correct spot.

I am a seasoned OW flier, but will be flying several *A flights early next year. LAS-SFO on United, SFO to ZRH on LX J, ZRH-BCN on LX J.

As I never route through SFO or ZRH, I'm wondering the best way to maximize my layovers. LAS will obviously be the Centurion Lounge. In SFO with a 3 hour layover, which louges deserve a visit? Polaris obviously. How is the SFO Centurion Lounge? Thoughts on the Priority Pass restaurants in SFO?

With 2 hours in ZRH, not knowing what terminal I'll be arriving in, from what I've read I want to try to go to E LX lounge, not A - is that correct? Any other advice?
Old Sep 26, 2018, 11:09 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
On the SFO bit, you can pop into the Centurion lounge but it will likely be crowded and loud. With access to the Polaris lounge, I'd just go there. It's quiet and the sit down dining is alright.
rattydukes, windhund and zeer0 like this.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jepiv
With 2 hours in ZRH, not knowing what terminal I'll be arriving in, from what I've read I want to try to go to E LX lounge, not A - is that correct? Any other advice?
There is also a brand-new Senator/Business lounge in the A-area at ZRH with very nice food & beverage options, similar to the E-lounge.
However, the E-lounge provides nice outdoor seating (might be a bit chilly in winter time) and beautiful views of the Alps on a sunny day.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 11:25 am

Programs: UA GS, Lifetime 4 MM, BA Gold, , Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Marriott Ambassador Elite
There are a lot of folks who are based in SFO on this forum. In SFO, depending on what time you arrive, you will have choices. Your flight from LAS will arrive in Terminal 3. Amex Centurion Club is on the way to Terminal G (International). United Polaris Club is located just at the entrance to Terminal G (connected to Terminal 3 by a walkway). Centurion Club has better choice of wines and better coffee; Polaris Club has a better bartender (formerly Amex CC) and more choice of seats. LX Lounge in E terminal is very nice, but if you are flying within Europe, I don't think E is where you will fly out of. Give yourself 15 minutes to walk from Terminal E to anywhere.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 11:58 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite, National Executive, United Gold
You can visit the LX lounge in E as US flights are considered "clean" and do not require a security check to enter into the departures area. After visiting the lounge, I would give some time (at least 15-20 minutes but probably more to pick up some Swiss chocolate in the Terminal A shopping mall) to clear immigration and take the Heidi train to Terminal A where the BCN flight will depart from. Conversely, you can clear immigration upon arrival and take the train to the Terminal A lounge.

Originally Posted by MostlyUA
LX Lounge in E terminal is very nice, but if you are flying within Europe, I don't think E is where you will fly out of.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 12:08 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ti/LTP
Polaris sit down dining is far better than the PP options. Don't even bother with them (I regularly stop by Yankee Pier for an expensed lunch.)
Old Sep 26, 2018, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Polaris Lounge in SFO and E lounges in ZRH -- for the latter just don't forget you have to take a train and go through passport control to get to your next flight. IME not worth exploring other things, but if you want to check out lounges feel free (I forget whether it's just E SEN that's good, but the E business lounge is probably decent too).

Last edited by findark; Sep 26, 2018 at 12:53 pm
Old Sep 26, 2018, 2:06 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
While the thread was in the United Mileage Plus forum, members gave some most helpful insights. With a discrete thread edit, let me open this to the readers of the Star Alliance forum for more views. I've just moved it there. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, United forum.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 2:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Myriad resources available with minimal effort
SFO Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...ional-sfo.html
Lounge ZRH [merged Q&A thread]
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/swis...nnections.html
SWISS First, Senator and Business Lounges in Zurich Terminal E
ZRH A Schengen lounge reopens [2018]
Just flew the new B777-300ER [merged experience reports]
Old Sep 26, 2018, 8:08 pm

Programs: OneWorld Emerald
In my opinion, the best OW club option in SFO is CX in International; I realize OP is not flying OW, but just throwing that out there for anyone interested

Last edited by flying4workNfun; Sep 27, 2018 at 6:39 am Reason: clarification
Old Sep 30, 2018, 8:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, AS MVP Gold, UN Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond
Thanks so much everyone for all these tips.Very helpful!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.