Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Using *Gold benefits while transitioning to new Star Alliance Member?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2018, 7:27 am
Original Poster

I'm a new *G with TK currently, living in Canada. I am thinking of collecting with AC moving forward.

At check in recently (on AC flight) they said I can only get priority baggage if I collect with TK. Collecting with AC and showing them my *G status wouldn't be enough. So I changed to TK at that point. Went to MLL and asked to have my FF# changed back to AC and the receptionist gave me a really hard time about changing my FF number. She did it eventually but kept saying this is double dipping.

Is this the norm? How do people continue to use *G benefits when changing programs?

Thanks!
Old Sep 20, 2018, 12:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by 4thState
Is this the norm?
Yes.
How do people continue to use *G benefits when changing programs?
There's often a brief bit of pain in the cutover.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 7:19 pm

...{snip}...Went to MLL and asked to have my FF# changed back to AC and the receptionist gave me a really hard time about changing my FF number. She did it eventually but kept saying this is double dipping....{snip}...
I guess that by receptionist you mean the check-in agent! Or is it the "lounge dragon"?
Old Sep 20, 2018, 7:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
The complete opposite on my end. I have been earning with AC, and should hit E50K on a flight tomorrow. To use the lounge, I'd present my UA Plat card. Every time, I have been asked if i would like to change my BP FF to UA instead of AC
Old Sep 20, 2018, 7:55 pm

Programs: UA Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Yes you can use most benefits in my experience as well, it's just slightly more painful as you have to show your gold card everywhere.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 6:19 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
It can be painful sometimes. You can show your *G card to get into the lounges. You won’t get your baggage fees/priority benefits with just the card though.

When I was switching... I used to call UA’s helpdesk and ask them to change it. It was usually painless. The lounge dragons can sometimes act... well dragon-esqe.

Also the later you change it the better your chances of op ups.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.