Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Award J SFO-ZRH-GVA, but not SFO-ZRH

Old Sep 15, 18, 1:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA, AS

So I am thinking about going to a conference in Bolzano, It in November. I am looking at my options on November 7 and arriving a bit early and meander to Bolzano through the Alps. I am looking for three people getting there and I can go J from SFO to GVA on LX via ZRH. However it won't let me just stop in ZRH. I see this phenomenon on both the United and Aeroplan award systems. What gives with that?? I've never seen where award space is predicated on NOT stopping someplace.
Old Sep 15, 18, 4:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG75K; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
Married segments. Not uncommon with LH Group awards.

If you're just booking a one-way, go ahead and book SFO-ZRH-GVA and don't fly the last segment.
Old Sep 15, 18, 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee View Post

If you're just booking a one-way, go ahead and book SFO-ZRH-GVA and don't fly the last segment.
And try to book the second flight one day after arriving - then you have a reason to get your luggage.
Kacee and zeer0 like this.
Old Sep 15, 18, 6:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

But any checked luggage would go to GVA. So can do post above(post 3) or fly carry on only (post 2).
Also note if flights are disrupted you have a reservation SFO-xxx-GVA, so GVA is where they will get you to.

Great Circle Mapper
ZRH-GVA is only 143 miles (a train ride back to ZRH if needs be)
zeer0 likes this.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Sep 15, 18 at 7:11 pm
Old Sep 15, 18, 8:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG75K; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
You can also try calling to drop the ZRH-GVA segment within 24 hours of booking. Mixed reports whether that will work.
Old Sep 16, 18, 9:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA, AS

i thought many airlines "blackballed" you for doing such things.
Old Sep 16, 18, 10:37 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by applegrcoug View Post
i thought many airlines "blackballed" you for doing such things.
Only if you make a habit of it. Once is not going to have any consequences.
Old Sep 16, 18, 5:33 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), HHonors Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, SkyPesos, AAdvantage, MR
If IRROPS happen in such a case, do as our good friend Gary Leff always says, and explain you have an "affair" in the connecting city and specifically booked your ticket to include that stop.

Search this Thread