FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Star Alliance (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/star-alliance-413/)
-   -   Europe->SFO: Which city offer highest chance of Star Alliance Award Business Class ? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/star-alliance/1928201-europe-sfo-city-offer-highest-chance-star-alliance-award-business-class.html)

montegobay408 Aug 30, 2018 12:39 pm

Which Europe-to-SFO route has highest chance of business seat award ?

I'm trying to do the RTW Star Alliance Award travel using KrisFlyer miles - going westward. For June 2019 travel.

The last part is getting home to SFO from Europe. I thought Paris CDW to SFO nonstop would be easy, but it seems to not available.

Can someone give suggestions on which Europe to SFO routes are easiest to get business class seating ? Preferably nonstop routes.

Thanks ahead for your help !

montegobay408 Aug 30, 2018 11:00 pm

Europe->SFO: Which city offer highest chance of Star Alliance Award Business Class ?

I'm trying to finish the planning of my RTW award request with Star Alliance thru SG.

Coming home to SFO, which European city offers the best chance to SFO ? I've tried CDG, and it's not possible thru UA.

I welcome your suggestions to getting a nonstop award travel (in Business Class) to SFO. City or Airline suggestion.

Thanks ahead !

zrs70 Aug 31, 2018 3:40 am

Originally Posted by montegobay408 (Post 30150735)
I'm trying to finish the planning of my RTW award request with Star Alliance thru SG.

Coming home to SFO, which European city offers the best chance to SFO ? I've tried CDG, and it's not possible thru UA.

I welcome your suggestions to getting a nonstop award travel (in Business Class) to SFO. City or Airline suggestion.

Thanks ahead !

welcome to flyertalk! SG - I assume you mean SQ (Singpaore). SG, I believe, is Spicejet!

how flexible are you with dates, stops, etc? Europe to east coast is often easier. You might consider Air Canada through a variety of connections. Don’t leave out lesser travelled places like Winnipeg.

Etheopian Airlines flies DUB to a few North American cities. Worth checking out as well.

keisari Sep 1, 2018 10:50 pm

direct business space between Europe and SFO may be difficult and CDG-SFO with UA is extremely limited.
You may try Zurich/FRA/MUC/LHR
not sure if SAS is flying directly to SFO all year round or it is seasonal

On the other hand it may be easier getting flights Europe to Seattle and especially LA
then you can do a short hop to SFO

Antonio8069 Sep 1, 2018 11:04 pm

AC option explained

AC is an option c/w lie flats - but - you are going to spend all day making your cnx e.g.
- YUL-FRA, YUL-MUC (LH);
- YYZ-MXP, YYZ-ZRH, YVR-FRA .
My advice? Take TK via IST and spend your time in the best Star Alliance Lounge in the world.

hardworking21 Sep 2, 2018 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by Antonio8069 (Post 30157420)
AC is an option c/w lie flats - but - you are going to spend all day making your cnx e.g.
- YUL-FRA, YUL-MUC (LH);
- YYZ-MXP, YYZ-ZRH, YVR-FRA .
My advice? Take TK via IST and spend your time in the best Star Alliance Lounge in the world.

Would 100% second this. Reduces your connections, and IST *G lounge (international) is one of my favorites in the world - only to be outdone by Singapore Air First Class lounge in Changi (and even then, it is a very close one).

montegobay408 Sep 5, 2018 1:08 am

Thanks for all the suggestions. Here's my findings:
1. The "Star Alliance" is a very weak alliance. Singapore Airlines cannot see availability on UA or AC flights for rewards booking.
2. Working the SG to book the RTW requires stamina. First you have to do all the HW and map the flights you want. Nobody at SG will do that for you.
3. While you may be tempted to use the email method, I will save u time to avoid that. They take 2 days to reply and it's quite a waste when they just reply "Not Available". I would even ignore the US customer service, and call the Singapore number directly ! They seem to have more reps, and SHORTER waiting time. I have never gotten thru to the US one.
4. It pays to do your homework on SG. The solution to my dilemna to get out of Europe WESTWARD to US was seeing that SG has ONE flight from Frankfurt to JFK. That finally closed the loop and allow the RTW to be booked. The LH, UA, AC were all dead-ends - looking at June dates (and even July). Some of you suggested Eastward booking, but I wanted to hit the Asian countries in May while it was not so hot, and save Europe for the tail end.
5. Sadly none of the oceans-crossings are Business Class (as promised by their ads if you have 240k points). SG had no availability, and I had to settle for Premium Economy. I will persist and see if upgrades are possible.

I am still glad to have gotten my RTW trip booked at very little costs ($800 for 2 people for taxes, fees), but it would have been nice to get the FULL Business Class experience for the ocean crossings.
@hardworking21, does SG have 2 lounges then ? One for BC and one for FC ?

TC

yurtripper Sep 6, 2018 5:48 am

Any particular reason why you would choose to do an RTW westward rather than eastward? You get longer flying times by going westward.

For EU to SFO, I would look at SK (assuming you have a J ticket).

ajeleonard Sep 6, 2018 6:23 am

Originally Posted by yurtripper (Post 30173369)
Any particular reason why you would choose to do an RTW westward rather than eastward? You get longer flying times by going westward.

Jet lag

DG206 Sep 6, 2018 4:37 pm

Last I booked was during holiday season, wound up on TK. Was about the only partner I could find space on in business. Swiss popped up a few times but not right dates, give TK a try. We booked opposite (SFO to Europe) but should be similar I assume

hardworking21 Sep 6, 2018 11:47 pm

@montegobay408: Yes, details on Singapore Air lounges can be found here: https://www.singaporeair.com/en_UK/u...light/lounges/ (you'll see details on each of the different lounge types, access rules, etc.).

zeer0 Sep 7, 2018 10:25 am

I just booked SAS J from CPH-SFO a few days before New Year's. SAS seems to have opened quite a bit of availability.

zeer0 Sep 11, 2018 4:40 pm

I was able to book CPH-SFO in J on SK for the upcoming winter break. And there seems to be quite a bit of space on that route. It's an especially good deal as most *A programs don't add on fuel surcharges to SK redemptions.