OZ vs. ANA - J Class to SFO

Old Aug 26, 18, 10:32 pm
Original Poster

OZ vs. ANA - J Class to SFO

Which would you pick - OZ or ANA for J class to SFO? Using points so no concerns on cost. ANA gets in at 10 AM, whereas OZ gets in at 3 PM (so either way, I'm okay). Would be coming from HKG (so going either NRT on to SFO, or ICN on to SFO) ... OZ flight is later in the day, so I do get to enjoy more of HK.

My focus is on service, amenities, and comfort of seat for sleeping. OZ in A350, ANA in 777. Thanks!
Old Aug 27, 18, 1:19 am

Those two flights, barring equipment changes, would have me choosing OZ.

I suspect the groupthink here would suggest going with ANA - and you would have a great flight. I'm just a sucker for the OZ service and catering.
Old Aug 27, 18, 2:44 am

Programs: UA 1K, DL PM
I have a strong preference for OZ over NH. I'm in the minority perhaps, but I don't like Japanese food and their western menus are frequently disappointing. OZ always has something I enjoy.

As for seat and service, I think NH has a very slight advantage, but it's not enough to dissuade me. The A350 is also another factor, it's a nicer plane to fly in, similar to the 787 and A380 in terms of noise, etc.

Both airports are a breeze for transit, so that's not a big issue either way. Both OZ and NH lounges suck equally for food & snacks, so also not a determining factor.
Old Aug 27, 18, 8:30 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG75K; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
NH, NH, NH. It is a superior airline in virtually every respect. The only area where OZ has an advantage is the service is warmer, whereas NH is a bit robotic. But the seat, amenities (including an awesome mattress pad), food, and attention to detail are all better on NH. I also prefer NRT to ICN. Then of course there's the matter of safety . . . .
Old Aug 29, 18, 11:09 pm
Original Poster

@thomaslux: What about OZ service makes it better than NH? And by OZ catering, do you mean bibimbap? I had it in OZ J (intra-Asia) and it was quite tasty.

@Kacee: By safety, do you mean the crash at SFO a few years ago? Surely that was an isolated incident, no?

And for everyone - how would this compare against SQ or EVA J class? Have been on SQ J and will be on EVA J inbound into Asia. Thanks!

Last edited by hardworking21; Aug 29, 18 at 11:10 pm Reason: Added more details to post.
Old Aug 29, 18, 11:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG75K; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
Originally Posted by hardworking21 View Post
@Kacee: By safety, do you mean the crash at SFO a few years ago? Surely that was an isolated incident, no?
No it was not an isolated incident. It reflected a systemic problem. NH is objectively a much safer airline.
hardworking21 likes this.
Old Sep 6, 18, 5:54 am

Programs: SQ(*G), A3(*G), LH(*S), SK, BA; Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, IHG Platinum Ambassador
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
No it was not an isolated incident. It reflected a systemic problem. NH is objectively a much safer airline.
True. This incident is one of the best studied, in terms of training specs and CRM implications. It's worth reading the full report and it doesn't make pleasant bedtime reading for OZ pax.
hardworking21 likes this.

Search this Thread