Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Two Persian Gulf Carriers Working to Link Up With Star Alliance

Two Persian Gulf Carriers Working to Link Up With Star Alliance

Old Aug 8, 18, 6:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, TD.
Two Gulf Carriers Working to Link Up With Star Alliance

Maybe??

https://viewfromthewing.boardingarea...edium=facebook

Last edited by Ramz; Aug 8, 18 at 6:37 am
Old Aug 8, 18, 6:35 am

Programs: Too Many
Wishful thinking as long as LH has dispute filed in EU Brussels over state subsidies

ps...this dispute forced IAG including BA & IB out of European Airline Assoc. as 10% owned by Qatari wealth fund and also subject to this dispute
Old Aug 8, 18, 6:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend and Moderator: Air Canada Aeroplan & Manufactured Spending

As this is a Star Alliance topic rather than and Air Canada or Aeroplan specific one it's been relocated to the Star Alliance forum for further discussion.

tcook052
Air Canada forum moderator
Ramz likes this.
Old Aug 8, 18, 6:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, TD.
Originally Posted by tcook052 View Post
As this is a Star Alliance topic rather than and Air Canada or Aeroplan specific one it's been relocated to the Star Alliance forum for further discussion.

tcook052
Air Canada forum moderator
Sorry I put it in the wrong area.
Old Sep 8, 18, 8:26 am

Programs: UA 1K-Million Miler (1.6MM), IHG-Plat Amb; Amex Plat-P, Marriott-Gold;Hertz Gold
Smile What's the Best Case Scenario for Gulf Air ?

I am encouraged about the prospects of a Gulf Carrier joining Star Alliance.

As LH has greatly reduced their presence in "The Gulf" and jacked their business class fares in Saudi/Bahrain by 300%, I look forward to prospects of either GF or EY joining the Star Alliance. I am not aware of any specific litigation between LH and the "Gulf 3", but even if such litigation exists, does it affect GF in joining Star Alliance ? I know that both GF and EY have added numerous code shares with LH, TK, Agean, and United. Does anyone know what the next step is to include GF or EY in Star Alliance and how long does that usually take ?

Also, FWIW, I usually refer to the body of water between Saudi and Iran as "The Arabian Gulf" as there are 7 Arab Countries yet only one Persian Country that border this water.
Old Sep 12, 18, 8:23 am

Programs: *A G, OW S, ST Elite.
What will happen here is anyone's guess. Remember QR were moving ever closer to *A and seemingly getting along very well with LH including lots of code shares then LH pulled the plug at the last minute and QR went to OW.

EY and GF would make excellent additions to *A but they will have to get past parties interested in preserving their own territory only one of which is LH, other significant players include TK, AI, ET, SQ and TG all of which may lose traffic to a Gulf carrier should it join. I have a number of bookings on SQ at present and EY would have met my needs just as well if they were in *A and I suspect SQ recognise just that.
Old Sep 14, 18, 6:53 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
gleff going off on a tangent in his blog doesn't make it a fact...

GF & EY have other issues at hand right now. Joining an alliance is not their top priority.
Old Sep 14, 18, 8:41 am

Programs: *A G, OW S, ST Elite.
Originally Posted by oliver2002 View Post
gleff going off on a tangent in his blog doesn't make it a fact...

GF & EY have other issues at hand right now. Joining an alliance is not their top priority.
May I ask how you know that?
lhrpete likes this.
Old Oct 10, 18, 7:56 pm
Original Member

Programs: CX DM, JGC Sapphire, FWC Gold
EY should be busy dealing with the basket of troublesome airlines they have invested
Old Oct 10, 18, 10:17 pm

Programs: NZ *G
Funny how ones own life experiences can lead to misunderstandings... As a Gulf War (91) Navy vet (Royal Australian Navy that is) I saw the title "Two Persian Gulf carriers" and immediately thought of USS Ranger and USS Theodore Roosevelt!
Dover2Golf likes this.
Old Oct 14, 18, 9:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.021MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by gpicur View Post
FWIW, I usually refer to the body of water between Saudi and Iran as "The Arabian Gulf" as there are 7 Arab Countries yet only one Persian Country that border this water.
Then what do you call the Mississippi River, as it runs through and along ten states, only one of which is Mississippi? Or the Indian Ocean, since it borders a lot of countries, only one of which is India?
trooper likes this.
Old Oct 14, 18, 5:58 pm

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
Everyone refers to the Mississippi as the Mississippi, since it has no other name. The term Persian Gulf is used a lot in the US, but it is generally known as the Arabian Gulf in a lot of countries. I almost always refer to it as Arabian Gulf, and did so before I actually lived in Bahrain for a year.
Old Oct 14, 18, 10:02 pm

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
Originally Posted by catocony View Post
Everyone refers to the Mississippi as the Mississippi, since it has no other name. The term Persian Gulf is used a lot in the US, but it is generally known as the Arabian Gulf in a lot of countries. I almost always refer to it as Arabian Gulf, and did so before I actually lived in Bahrain for a year.
You claim is actually incorrect and how do you personally refer to it is irrelevant - it is generally and officially named Persian Gulf, and only few countries (mainly Arab) call it either Arabian Gulf or The Gulf.
For some reference see https://unstats.un.org/unsd/geoinfo/...gegn23wp61.pdf and https://www.un.org/Depts/Cartographi...e/mideastr.pdf
trooper likes this.
Old Oct 15, 18, 1:13 am

Programs: NZ *G

Yep..here's a Chart....
Old Oct 15, 18, 8:16 am

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
Originally Posted by vbroucek View Post
You claim is actually incorrect and how do you personally refer to it is irrelevant - it is generally and officially named Persian Gulf, and only few countries (mainly Arab) call it either Arabian Gulf or The Gulf.
For some reference see https://unstats.un.org/unsd/geoinfo/...gegn23wp61.pdf and https://www.un.org/Depts/Cartographi...e/mideastr.pdf
It's factually inaccurate that most Arab countries refer to it as Arabian Gulf? Point being, there are multiple names for the Gulf. There are no other names for the Mississippi River.

Search this Thread