Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Best Star Alliance Business product (Transatlantic)

Old Jul 30, 18, 4:14 pm
Original Poster

I'm curious how everyone would rank the top overall business product between North America-Europe? Simple question I haven't seen discussed (forgive me if I missed it).

Let's limit to Star alliance given this forum.For this discussion, ignore convenience of routes (dont give any advantage to an airline dominating the airport you often fly from (Toronto, Munich, Newark, etc.).
Old Jul 30, 18, 4:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG75K; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
Originally Posted by ECR12 View Post
I'm curious how everyone would rank the top overall business product between North America-Europe? Simple question I haven't seen discussed (forgive me if I missed it).
Many, many times
Old Jul 31, 18, 7:09 am

1) SQ
2) SK (for the hard product), LX/OS for the soft product
3) LO
4) LH
x) UA
Yoshi212 likes this.
Old Jul 31, 18, 7:19 am
Original Poster

Havent flown OS/LX/SK/LO yet so those are really what I was interested in. Starting to plan another trip so would like to tryout two of them if possible.

This might be polarizing given the 2-3-2 layout but I loved Turkish... if you're traveling with someone and aren't as concerned with privacy, the seats feel spacious and the food/service has been outstanding both times I've flown it. Lounge doesnt hurt either (and we love Istanbul).
As a 6'3'' guy I actually preferred those to my experience in Qatar's Business (non-Q suite) which was also great but a bit more constrained. I'm sure if I were shorter and traveling alone I'd feel differently.
Old Jul 31, 18, 7:35 am

Depends where you finally heading, but connecting in IST usually makes me ignore TK for US-EU. For going East, definitely a good option. Since SQ is kind of limited... based on the seat I would always go for SK. But they for once are often not that cheap and second the catering and service is a hit or miss. Also the European connection in SK Plus is a real poor experience. On LX and OS catering and service is great, seating comfort lags behind SK.
Old Aug 3, 18, 11:53 pm

1) SQ - especially as FRA is their connection point, so you aren't limited on intra-Europe destinations (though what a maze FRA is ... but I'll ignore that for the purposes of this exercise.)
2) LX / OS - especially for OS, their soft product (DO & CO chef onboard) is a difference maker! (Ironically, LH owns both of these airlines technically ...)
3) TK - hard product is spacious and comfy (unless you are in the middle seat for the 3 part of the 777), IST *A lounge is arguably one of the top 10 if not top 5 for *A globally, and yes, IST is a zoo (take it from someone who once landed there at 4 AM from JFK ...) but I'd still go through IST any day, especially since TK is often a few $K lower in RT cost.
4) LH / SK - for some reason, folks love SK hard product, but I always find the seat (in lie flat position) incredibly hard and tough to sleep on. Mattress pad is a thin thin sheet; I often need 2-3 just to have an impact.
5) UA
Old Aug 4, 18, 7:34 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG75K; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
UA's Polaris seat is better than LH, LX, OS, and LO. Haven't flown SK, but that's the Thompson Vantage XL, which is a state of the art seat. SQ hard product is controversial, some like it, some don't.
Old Aug 4, 18, 4:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy Ti
The Polaris seat is probably in the running for best *A J hard product TATL. I see it as a toss up between SK, SQ, and UA.
Old Aug 4, 18, 4:51 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by GoSh4rks View Post
The Polaris seat is probably in the running for best *A J hard product TATL. I see it as a toss up between SK, SQ, and UA.
I really like the seat, especially if you can get an odd numbered window. And unlike LX/OS, UA doesn't do that nonsense of charging $200 for a desirable seat.

Service remains inconsistent, but the number of awful UA crews seems to be going down. I've had mostly excellent long haul experiences with them the last couple years.

Search this Thread