*A RTW Australia codeshares?

Old Jul 15, 18, 7:19 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 23
Thumbs up *A RTW Australia codeshares?

Hi Guys,

I'm researching a *A RTW but I'm coming up against 2 problems with the *A planning tool ignoring flights I know exist.

1) I want to route SYD-PER but no *A flights are showing, however taking the example of VA572 it has numerous *A code shares can this route be booked?

VA572
DL7282
EY6725
NZ7152
SA7266
SQ6883

2) I want to fly into Havana but the booking tool tries to ignore that Havana has an airport, I know that routing into Cuba used to be a problem but I thought all of that BS was over, Avianca fly BOG-HAV and United fly HAV-EWR can this be booked on a RTW?

I'm finding this a really useful tool for researching flights as it allow filtering by alliances.

Thanks

Last edited by WGTN1; Jul 15, 18 at 10:03 am
WGTN1 is offline  
Old Jul 15, 18, 2:13 pm
  #2  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: MEL CHC
Posts: 14,246
Virgin Australia VA is not part of Star Alliance, but is a ff partner of some Star Alliance airlines & other airlines. You will need to check the Star RTW rules, but expect you cannot use these codeshares.
Normally such domestic code shares can only be purchased as a tag on flight to a flight operated by the airline (example PER-SYD-LAX on DL)

Air NZ fly PER-AKL & AKL-SYD, so via New Zealand will be the only way on a Star Alliance operated & marketed flight.

Or just buy PER-SYD with cash
Mwenenzi is offline  
Old Jul 15, 18, 2:21 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: FRA
Programs: AC 50K 1MM, UA 1K, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott Gold Elite, Hertz PC
Posts: 2,714
1) Unfortunately not. NZ, SA and SQ flights operated by VA are generally not permitted on a RTW ticket, see https://www.airnzagent.co.nz/star-al...und-the-world/ for details. There used to be a few exceptions like TG codeshare operated by LY (BKK-TLV vv.) and SA codeshare operated by QF (JNB-SYD) if I remember correctly.

2) Not sure where you are located, but these are the rules for itineraries involving Cuba:

IF A RTW ITINERARY INCLUDES TRAVEL TO/FROM/VIA CUBA IT MAY NOT BE SOLD IN THE USA NOR ORIGINATE IN THE USA NOR INCLUDE FLIGHT SEGMENTS FOR TRAVEL ON UA OPERATED OR MARKETED FLIGHTS. THE TICKET CANNOT BE SOLD TO US CITIZENS AND CANNOT BE ISSUED ON UA TICKET STOCK AND UA CANNOT RECEIVE ANY REVENUE FROM A RTW ITINERARY INVOLVING CUBA. THIS IS DUE TO US GOVERNMENTAL RESTRICTIONS/ EMBARGO.
ACflyerDE is offline  
Old Jul 16, 18, 2:18 am
  #4  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 23
Originally Posted by ACflyerDE View Post
1) Unfortunately not. NZ, SA and SQ flights operated by VA are generally not permitted on a RTW ticket, see https://www.airnzagent.co.nz/star-al...und-the-world/ for details. There used to be a few exceptions like TG codeshare operated by LY (BKK-TLV vv.) and SA codeshare operated by QF (JNB-SYD) if I remember correctly.

2) Not sure where you are located, but these are the rules for itineraries involving Cuba:
I can see SQ6883 in the SQ timetable as part of PER to CBR via SYD

No, not in the US nor planning to have ticket issued on United ticket stock.
WGTN1 is offline  
Old Jul 16, 18, 3:05 am
  #5  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: MEL CHC
Posts: 14,246
Originally Posted by WGTN1 View Post
I can see SQ6883 in the SQ timetable as part of PER to CBR via SYD
Will be a Virgin Australia codeshare VA572
Only Au & NZ airlines can sell domestic flights in Australia
The SQ flight number is the indicator.
https://www.flightstats.com/v2/fligh...htId=966345156
https://flightstatus.virginaustralia...er/va572/today
Mwenenzi is offline  
Old Jul 16, 18, 3:33 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Programs: UA 1K/MM, CX Silver, LY TL, Marriot G
Posts: 697
I looked into this just a few days ago, so that I could connect MEL to SYD and fly SYD - IAH. It can't be done on a RTW ticket, but it can be done on some other UA tickets.
sabbasolo is offline  
Old Jul 16, 18, 10:26 pm
  #7  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 23
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by sabbasolo View Post
I looked into this just a few days ago, so that I could connect MEL to SYD and fly SYD - IAH. It can't be done on a RTW ticket, but it can be done on some other UA tickets.
Did you try MEL-AKL-IAH on NZ? This seems to be ticketable, as does AKL-SYD-PER though maybe not on RTW but I will ask NZ about it as soon as I get off hold.
WGTN1 is offline  
Old Jul 16, 18, 11:14 pm
  #8  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: MEL CHC
Posts: 14,246
Originally Posted by WGTN1 View Post
Did you try MEL-AKL-IAH on NZ? This seems to be ticketable, as does AKL-SYD-PER though maybe not on RTW but I will ask NZ about it as soon as I get off hold.
There are no SYD-PER Au domestic star alliance flights. As posts above for a Star RTW you need Star Alliance airlines.
Mwenenzi is offline  
Old Jul 17, 18, 3:00 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Programs: UA 1K/MM, CX Silver, LY TL, Marriot G
Posts: 697
Originally Posted by WGTN1 View Post
Did you try MEL-AKL-IAH on NZ? This seems to be ticketable, as does AKL-SYD-PER though maybe not on RTW but I will ask NZ about it as soon as I get off hold.
MEL-AKL-IAH is available on RTW, but not convenient for me - also the MEL-AKL flight is mostly on domestic type configurations, so no better than MEL-LAX-IAH which is what I have now. As mentioned above, SYD-PER is not available on RTW
sabbasolo is offline  
Old Jul 17, 18, 7:45 pm
  #10  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 23
Unhappy

Originally Posted by sabbasolo View Post
MEL-AKL-IAH is available on RTW, but not convenient for me - also the MEL-AKL flight is mostly on domestic type configurations, so no better than MEL-LAX-IAH which is what I have now. As mentioned above, SYD-PER is not available on RTW
Nope, I concede on this, the only way to do it is SYD-AKL-PER which burns miles and a flight coupon.
WGTN1 is offline  
Old Jul 21, 18, 2:19 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: AC SE, SPG Lifetime Plat, ACMM
Posts: 3,522
Originally Posted by WGTN1 View Post
Hi Guys,

I'm researching a *A RTW but I'm coming up against 2 problems with the *A planning tool ignoring flights I know exist.

1) I want to route SYD-PER but no *A flights are showing, however taking the example of VA572 it has numerous *A code shares can this route be booked?

VA572
DL7282
EY6725
NZ7152
SA7266
SQ6883



Thanks
You could try SYD-SIN-PER as this is allowed and SQ is still quite good!
ac777 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread