Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Preferred business class on this route (DFW-xxx-FCO)

Old Jul 5, 18, 7:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime GLD, SPG Lifetime GLD

I haven't flown any of the *A airlines in over 15 years, but there is some extremely attractive pricing that is making me switch from my typical OneWorld carriers.

These are the three options I'm currently considering. Flights would be in early 2019.

Option 1: DFW-ERW-FCO. This would be all on UA metal. Regional jet on the first leg and then 767-400 (flight UA40) on the long-haul
Option 2: DFW-FRA-FCO This would be on LH metal. A330-300 on the long haul (LH 439) and then either an A319/320/321 for the intra-Europe leg
Option 3: DFW-YYZ-FCO. This would be on AC metal. Regional jet on the first leg and then 773 (flight AC 890) on the long-haul

All three price nearly the same. Options 1 and 3 arrive in Rome early morning. Option 2 arrives late afternoon. So I have to figure out my preference on that.

But from a hard/soft product and lounge quality in EWR/FRA/YYZ are there any clear winners or clear losers?

thanks for the help

Tom
Old Jul 5, 18, 8:41 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hertz PC, BAEC Silver
For me, Option 2 is by far the best. Whilst AC probably has the best experience in J and UA and LH are about equal, the crowning advantages of Option 2 are: 1) more time on the TATL sector, and better flight times for sleep and recuperation afterwards.
Old Jul 5, 18, 2:06 pm

Programs: UA, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
A few things to note:
-EWR is very delay prone and impacted by summer storms if you're traveling this summer but has an advantage of being a same terminal transfer.
-FRA has some haters but I find it an easy airport to transit through. It's big but efficient.
-YYZ I prefer for O/D traffic vs transiting.
-The AC flight has the shortest time in long haul J at 8 hours and the LH gives you almost 10 hours. UA clocks in at about 9.5 hours.
-EU J class isn't as nice as US domestic F but 3 hours in an RJ even in a premium class isn't luxurious.
-LH has the latest, 15:55, initial departure but the others have later long haul departures which can help with sleep.
-Arriving in the morning can mean your hotel won't be ready to welcome you.
Old Jul 7, 18, 2:09 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
Agree with most of what Yoshi said. As much as I hate EU J - I’d still probably go with LH as long as the timing was convinient. Otherwise would go with UA.

I’d rank LH J a couple of notches above UA J on the TATL though.
Old Jul 12, 18, 8:33 am

Programs: UA 1K/1.5 million miler, SU Gold, JL Sapphire
I personally like AC in J. The seat is definitely a plus, unless your UA flight would be in Polaris class (764 wouldn't be). Food is good, soft product very decent. Regional jet not a big problem in J (seat comfortable compared to EU J), even if it is a tad of a long run in your case (would suggest the side with only one seat). The main downside: YYZ on the return trip (if you checked bags, you will need to wait in a transit lounge for customs to clear them).

I would consider LH and UA equal on many aspects, with an advantage to LH on the soft product (more predictable).

Ultimately, my decision would be based on the cost differential (if significant) and also schedule. If you are being asked to spend significant time in EWR (not the most pleasant of airports right now) then I would try something else. Arrival time and total transit time would matter too.
Old Jul 13, 18, 3:52 am

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
Option 2 would be my preferable for few other reasons, but beating the jet lag would be the most important one... I prefer to reach my destination by the afternoon/evening, so I can go to bed and sleep and potentially reset my clock faster...

Search this Thread