Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Which Airline gives No Expiry of Miles

Old Jun 23, 2018, 7:22 am
Original Poster

Which airlines in the *Alliance give best expiry feature?
Old Jun 23, 2018, 9:53 am

Originally Posted by Reuleaux
Miles and More has no expiry as long as you hold their co branded credit card (at least in the US and Germany)
Old Jun 23, 2018, 10:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Unterwegs
Miles and More has no expiry as long as you hold their co branded credit card (at least in the US and Germany)
That is not exactly right. For the US card, you must make a charge on the card every month. If you miss a single month, your LH miles will expire.

DL is the only major program I know of where your miles don't expire.

Though it is pretty easy to keep UA miles alive. Including by having a co-branded Chase card (without the ridiculous monthly purchase requirement that LH requires).
Old Jun 23, 2018, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Reuleaux
Some airlines have a hard fixed expiry
With many others ff miles can be kept alive with eligible activity
Very few airlines have no expiry

Miles/Points that Do and Don't Expire. Click to open the wiki.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 9:00 am

This is exactly what I have been trying to work out, I hoped there would be a Star Alliance FFP that does not expire too. Im in UK and MBNA have cancelled its Miles & More credit card which I used to keep my points safe (I would never make status on Star Alliance).

I also need to work out which Star Alliance FFP to join when I ditch Miles and More. Even though i’m not a frequent flyer with Star Alliance I have managed to save 165,458 miles over the years which I now have to spend quickly as they will soon not be protected much longer.

OP as far as I can see the best choices would be Asaina who give 10 years hard expiry or United which is only 18 months but easily extendable even if no flights taken in the 18 months.
Adding to that, with Asiana you can pool family points and with United you can't.

hmmmmm 10 years worry free or lifetime with work involved.

Got my Oneworld and Sky Team safe, I just need a replacement Star Alliance FFP.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 8:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Something else to consider if looking at OZ vs UA, you should examine the fares you'd typically be flying on *A Carriers ( www.wheretocredit.com ) because often, but not always, UA is more generous for earnings if flying non-UA flights. In the current form of OZ's award chart, many awards are similar priced in both programs. However, depending on your family's flying habits, pooled earnings on OZ may still be better. UA miles are extremely easy to keep active, I wouldn't let that be a deterrent.
Old Jun 30, 2018, 8:22 am

Programs: LH*S (FTL), OZ*G, Accor gold, HH Diamond
Take a look on A3 - the miles are valid forever.
The OZ offer very bad earning rate for *A partners flights , so usually A3 and UA are better choice.
Old Jun 30, 2018, 9:59 am

Thanks for that, I did not know Aegean Airlines was lifetime, i read on another thread 3 years but just checked their website and see it is lifetime.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.