Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Should airlines who are part of an alliance keep their best lounges to themselves?

Should airlines who are part of an alliance keep their best lounges to themselves?

Old Jun 21, 18, 11:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: AV Diamond, TK ELP, IB Oro, AD Diamante, NZ Gold, QF Gold, Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum

There is a lot of discussion these days along the lines of:
- Lounges becoming more crowded and less exclusive
- SAG status becoming too common
- Star maybe introducing a new tier status and what the benefits should be

I'm wondering why more airlines don't just introduce their own exclusive lounges that they can offer their own most valuable frequent flyers and / or business class or high yielding customers without needing to accommodate every Tom, Dick and Harry from the 26 other Star Alliance airlines who are generating customers who lounge access entitlements.

Looking at AC signature suites, BA Concorde room, LH first class terminal and lounges as examples, Im wondering why this isnt more common place. Am also wondering if we as customers want to have more "only money can buy moments" or feel we should be entitled to the same treatment no matter who we fly and how much we pay.... why does being part of an alliance mean we expect airlines having to share their most valuable real estate with everyone else? Couldn't airlines do more in their best lounges for the people who pay the most to them rather than cheapening the experience because of sheer demand?

For myself, I like the thought of getting what I pay for and not having to share with some other self-entitled cheapskate travelling on a bargain basement ticket or with a company who they haven't given a penny to in the past. When it's my turn to travel bargain basement or with a company who my money doesn't keep in the sky, I'll happily accept lower standards (but my self-entitlement will still want to get something for all the miles I've put in up until then and the whole idea of being a member of an FFP of an alliance member!)

Thoughts?

Search this Thread