Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Not a single non-stop *A flight, MAD-LON??

Old Jun 7, 18, 10:50 pm
formerly fkhatibloo
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K & 1MM, Marriott Gold, Starwood Gold, Omni Select

[Mods, please move if this is in the wrong place]

Could it really be possible that United has no access to nonstop flights between Madrid and London? I've searched by Star Alliance to no avail... now I'm trying to decide between Brussels or TAP flights with a short connection, or traveling with zero status on Iberia. The reviews on the latter are... not heartening. WWFTD??
Old Jun 7, 18, 10:52 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.1MM , Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Discoverist
London isn't really a *A hub, and Madrid is certainly not as that's all IB land.

So yes, no direct flight on that route for *A. If I were you btw, I'd fly Brussels.
FrenchBullies1975 and zeer0 like this.
Old Jun 7, 18, 10:55 pm

Originally Posted by UAL250 View Post
So yes, no direct flight on that route for *A. If I were you btw, I'd fly Brussels.
If you really need to stay on *A that is. I would fly IAG nonstop.
FrenchBullies1975 likes this.
Old Jun 7, 18, 11:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Berlin, Germany; Toronto, Canada; and SW Florida, USA
Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, and assorted others
Originally Posted by FrenchBullies1975 View Post
[Mods, please move if this is in the wrong place]

Could it really be possible that United has no access to nonstop flights between Madrid and London? I've searched by Star Alliance to no avail... now I'm trying to decide between Brussels or TAP flights with a short connection, or traveling with zero status on Iberia. The reviews on the latter are... not heartening. WWFTD??
Of course UA has access to nonstop flights between MAD and LON, beginning with a dozen or so BA and IB flights. Easily incorporated on a UA 016 ticket. But I suspect what you are asking, is whether there are any *A non-stop services between the two cities, to which the answer is no.
FrenchBullies1975 and zeer0 like this.
Old Jun 8, 18, 7:30 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG75K; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
I'm confused by this question. Why would one expect a nonstop *A flight between two cities neither of which is a *A hub?
zeer0 likes this.
Old Jun 8, 18, 10:16 am

Programs: AA, UA, DL, SW, BA
Right, this is a little like asking why UA doesn't have nonstops between CLT and PHL. The joys of a hub and spoke system, where you're pretty much stuck with only One World if you are traveling between two One World hubs.
Old Jun 8, 18, 2:18 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz, and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Because there is no *A carrier based in the UK or Spain.
Old Jun 8, 18, 6:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
It's really nice when a non-euopean carrier operates 5th freedoms on these routes. I don't recall MAD-LON having one, my my memory is short!
Old Jun 9, 18, 12:59 am

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), HHonors Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, SkyPesos, AAdvantage, MR
Rip SpanAir.
Old Jun 9, 18, 11:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL PM
I always find these threads annoying when people are complaining that X alliance doesn't have any flights from City Y to City Z when both City Y and Z are not Star Alliance Hubs. Legacy carriers fly Hub and Spoke models for the most part, so those hubs in Western Europe are LIS, BRU, FRA, MUC, and CPH (to a lesser extent ARN as well). If your flight does not involve one of those cities, then you'll be connecting if you want Star Alliance.
Old Jun 10, 18, 12:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG75K; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
Originally Posted by dvs7310 View Post
Legacy carriers fly Hub and Spoke models for the most part, so those hubs in Western Europe are LIS, BRU, FRA, MUC, and CPH (to a lesser extent ARN as well)
Also VIE, ZRH, GVA, and WAW.
zeer0 likes this.
Old Jun 10, 18, 1:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hertz PC, BAEC Silver
Probably cheaper for the OP to fly on Easyjet or Ryanair and buy the miles needed.
ElJudioErrante likes this.

Search this Thread