Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

NH vs LH Premium Economy Comparison

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2018, 10:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC E75K

Hello NH Forum - Could anyone who's experienced Premium Economy on both Lufthansa and ANA share their thoughts in terms of seats, meals, service, etc.?

I'm considering SFO-FRA/MUC-SIN on LH (A388/A359) vs. SFO-NRT-SIN on NH (B77W/B789). The LH routing is 10+ hours longer each way, but also earns more miles (especially because both would book into G, which credits at 125% on LH and 100% on NH for Aeroplan).

Many thanks in advance!
Old Jun 7, 2018, 2:34 pm

Programs: DL PM, OZ Diamond Plus, BA Silver
Originally Posted by capedreamer
Hello NH Forum - Could anyone who's experienced Premium Economy on both Lufthansa and ANA share their thoughts in terms of seats, meals, service, etc.?

I'm considering SFO-FRA/MUC-SIN on LH (A388/A359) vs. SFO-NRT-SIN on NH (B77W/B789). The LH routing is 10+ hours longer each way, but also earns more miles (especially because both would book into G, which credits at 125% on LH and 100% on NH for Aeroplan).

Many thanks in advance!
Have flown plenty of PY on NH (somehow I keep getting upgraded from Y) although not on LH — but would recommend booking NH anyway based on the schedules alone: SFO-FRA/MUC-SIN is just painful since SFO-FRA/MUC arrives in the morning and MUC/FRA-SIN depart late at night so you'll have about 10 hours to kill in FRA/MUC.

The NH PY seat is wide and comfortable with plenty of recline — you'll want to be in a bulkhead row though since if you're in the second or third rows and the person in front of you reclines you can't get out from the window/middle seat without disturbing your seatmate. Meals are exactly the same as what you get in Y (which are perfectly edible) except that you also get the C dessert but only after meal service in C is completed , and some additional snack options. Service is similar to Y as well — i.e. with NH still excellent. So really you're just paying for a larger seat. And note that the PY cabins on NH are much smaller (28 on the 77W and 21 on the 789) and hence more private (and a higher chance for an op-up?) than on the LH A380 with 52 seats.

Also if you have plenty of miles to burn note that both LH and NH G fares are eligible for *A upgrade awards, and for NH all you need is I space to upgrade, which regularly appears 2-3 weeks before departure, and looking at Aeroplan 20k miles for SFO-NRT seems like great value (to me at least).
Old Jun 7, 2018, 5:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by truncated
Have flown plenty of PY on NH (somehow I keep getting upgraded from Y) although not on LH — but would recommend booking NH anyway based on the schedules alone: SFO-FRA/MUC-SIN is just painful since SFO-FRA/MUC arrives in the morning and MUC/FRA-SIN depart late at night so you'll have about 10 hours to kill in FRA/MUC.

The NH PY seat is wide and comfortable with plenty of recline — you'll want to be in a bulkhead row though since if you're in the second or third rows and the person in front of you reclines you can't get out from the window/middle seat without disturbing your seatmate. Meals are exactly the same as what you get in Y (which are perfectly edible) except that you also get the C dessert but only after meal service in C is completed , and some additional snack options. Service is similar to Y as well — i.e. with NH still excellent. So really you're just paying for a larger seat. And note that the PY cabins on NH are much smaller (28 on the 77W and 21 on the 789) and hence more private (and a higher chance for an op-up?) than on the LH A380 with 52 seats.

Also if you have plenty of miles to burn note that both LH and NH G fares are eligible for *A upgrade awards, and for NH all you need is I space to upgrade, which regularly appears 2-3 weeks before departure, and looking at Aeroplan 20k miles for SFO-NRT seems like great value (to me at least).
Thanks so much for the detailed feedback! Much to noodle on.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 6:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
For Lufthansa the service is basically also the Y service, the food is very close to Y but plated nicer. On porcelain and with metal cutlery. I never figured out of there are a few more drink option compared to Y.

For food and service, I would generally say that NH has the upper hand. Also, the LH cabins are not really separated from Y. Depends a bit on plane type though.

Both are solid choices, but for me the long connection with LH indicated above would be a deal killer. Unless we are talking 25% to 40% cheaper Then we can start discussing the layover if it is on my private dime.

Last edited by CPH-Flyer; Jun 7, 2018 at 6:13 pm
Old Jun 7, 2018, 6:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
For Lufthansa the service is basically also the Y service, the food is very close to T but plated nicer. On porcelain and with metal cutlery. I never figured out of there are a few more drink option compared to Y.

For food and service, I would generally say that NH has the upper hand. Also, the LH cabins are not really separated from Y. Depends a bit on plane type though.

Both are solid choices, but for me the long connection with LH indicated above would be a deal killer. Unless we are talking 25% to 40% cheaper Then we can start discussing the layover if it is on my private dime.
Thanks! Can you clarify what you mean by "T"?

Price wise, both routings are in the same ballpark.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 6:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Thanks! Can you clarify what you mean by "T"?

Price wise, both routings are in the same ballpark.
Yes Me not watching what my phone does with my typing. Should be a Y. Will edit.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 6:24 pm

Programs: ANA SFC (*G)
Originally Posted by truncated
Didnt know you can upgrade on NH with Aeroplan miles... Now I regret not buying Aeroplan miles when they had these huge sales...
Old Jun 7, 2018, 6:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sodaisei
Didnt know you can upgrade on NH with Aeroplan miles... Now I regret not buying Aeroplan miles when they had these huge sales...
Yeah the Star Alliance upgrades. They do require I inventory to be available when you request. Which means award business class. So it is not just Aeroplan, but all *A programs that offer this. Usually though, it does prove devilishly difficult to succeed.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 6:32 pm
Original Poster

Yes Me not watching what my phone does with my typing. Should be a Y. Will edit.
Haha. Gotcha. Thanks!
Old Jun 7, 2018, 6:47 pm

Yeah the Star Alliance upgrades. They do require I inventory to be available when you request. Which means award business class. So it is not just Aeroplan, but all *A programs that offer this. Usually though, it does prove devilishly difficult to succeed.
I see, then I guess I will pass and not buy Aeroplan...
Old Jun 10, 2018, 7:14 am
Original Poster

I'm a little surprised to learn that both LH and NH serve Y food in PY. My regular airline, AC, isn't known to have the best product, but actually serves slightly better meals in PY than in Y.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm a little surprised to learn that both LH and NH serve Y food in PY. My regular airline, AC, isn't known to have the best product, but actually serves slightly better meals in PY than in Y.
In LH it is slightly better, but mainly really the plating being porcelain. But still clearly a Y meal. For NH you get the dessert from the J menu, and there are some additional snacks and drinks available. I can't remember now if NH has champagne in PY, but as JAL does i am fairly certain it is there on NH as well. But the tray served is the same as in Y for NH, which it is not on LH
capedreamer likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 4:41 pm
Original Poster

In LH it is slightly better, but mainly really the plating being porcelain. But still clearly a Y meal. For NH you get the dessert from the J menu, and there are some additional snacks and drinks available. I can't remember now if NH has champagne in PY, but as JAL does i am fairly certain it is there on NH as well. But the tray served is the same as in Y for NH, which it is not on LH
Roger that. Thanks!
Old Jun 10, 2018, 9:58 pm

I think NH has Spanish Cava on PY, not champagne.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 10:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sodaisei
I think NH has Spanish Cava on PY, not champagne.
Oh the horror!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.