Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Odds of more August Biz award space opening up on YVR-LHR?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Odds of more August Biz award space opening up on YVR-LHR?

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2018, 1:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC, FPC, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, BW Diamond Select, Starbucks Gold, VPL
Question Odds of more August Biz award space opening up on YVR-LHR?

Longtime listener, first-time caller here on Star Alliance Radio...

At long last it’s time for *me* to book an award flight. I’m hoping to go YVR-LHR in Biz on AC 854 or 896 on August 16th. Trouble is, of course, no award space.

In your collective experience, what are the odds of more Biz award space being released? ATM, AFAICS, only nine and ten seats respectively are showing occupied in the Biz cabin on these two flights. ?

Thanks y’all. Your very hardworking,
TheOfficeAdmin13B
Old May 27, 2018, 6:39 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
You question directly relates to using AC miles on AC aircraft and really has nothing to do with *A. Moderator notified.
Old May 27, 2018, 6:49 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Best bet for late opening seats will be LH. Fly YVR-FRA-LHR. They may open up within the 2 weeks prior to the date.
AC usually does not open up last minute seats.
Old May 27, 2018, 12:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC, FPC, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, BW Diamond Select, Starbucks Gold, VPL
I can use any kind of *Alliance points / miles for this trip. I used the AC flight numbers for ease of reference.

I’d be happy to hear of a corrected course of action for the future from the moderator if s/he feels it’s warranted.

TOA13B
Old May 27, 2018, 1:19 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by TheOfficeAdmin13B
I can use any kind of *Alliance points / miles for this trip. I used the AC flight numbers for ease of reference.

I’d be happy to hear of a corrected course of action for the future from the moderator if s/he feels it’s warranted.

TOA13B
Assume you are using Aeroplan. If using the app, try the website. If that fails try checking through other partner like UA to see if they show space. AP loves to only show scam charge space. Others can advise better here.

That said, mid summer at under 3 months notice, I’m - little surprised to even see J/Y offerings with a stop. This is a busy time of year for that route. Even if/when people cancel flights AC may not release back into I with high loads.

Did you get your load figures from EF or seat map? Seat maps aren’t reliable, some people won’t grab a seat until very late.

I assume this was posted somewhere other than the AP/AC board originally. Given it’s now here, where,
imvho, it belongs.
Old May 27, 2018, 2:32 pm
Original Poster

Thanks jc94. I got it from the seat maps. EF was going to be next, however, I am out of practice with it since I’ve mostly been booking domestic economy for my folks the last 13 months. So I thought I might ask those who are currently fluent, as it were.

I am *not* planning to use AP points. I was hoping to use ANA. I’ve heard UA’s calendar often shows phantom award space availability. Given all of these factors, this is why I thought I’d come to the *A forum for guidance.

TOA13B

Last edited by TheOfficeAdmin13B; May 27, 2018 at 2:44 pm
Old May 28, 2018, 11:28 am

Programs: Altitude E50K / *G
So if you are planning on using ANA points, then you would be better posting on the ANA forum.

However, if I check AE, I see no availability on AC metal for that date. LH has space though, via FRA. Both legs in Business class (I booking class) - although the FRA to LHR leg will be nothing to write home about.

Crazy scam charges with AE, but maybe not when booking through ANA? As I say, maybe better to post in the ANA forum.
TheOfficeAdmin13B likes this.
Old May 28, 2018, 11:47 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by dr_torch
So if you are planning on using ANA points, then you would be better posting on the ANA forum.

However, if I check AE, I see no availability on AC metal for that date. LH has space though, via FRA. Both legs in Business class (I booking class) - although the FRA to LHR leg will be nothing to write home about.

Crazy scam charges with AE, but maybe not when booking through ANA? As I say, maybe better to post in the ANA forum.
Unless you have large or valuable hand luggage and/or two (large) checked bags I’d fly Y FRA LHR and get a exit row. You’ll probably be fed too. And might save enough for a lounge pass.

Note the LH options there, I see then now. I did not when I last posted. Whether space has opened or it’s an IT error is anyones guess. Possibly both.
TheOfficeAdmin13B likes this.
Old May 28, 2018, 12:11 pm

Programs: Altitude E50K / *G
Originally Posted by jc94
Unless you have large or valuable hand luggage and/or two (large) checked bags I’d fly Y FRA LHR and get a exit row. You’ll probably be fed too. And might save enough for a lounge pass.
The only issue with this (at least with AE) is that you will use the same amount of points for the FRA-LHR segment whether it is in J or Y, which is why I always try to get all segments in J on a business reward.
Old May 29, 2018, 12:42 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for your thoughts. Like I said, due to the *A nature of my post, I originally posted in the *A forum, but somebody immediately complained to the moderator, who moved my post to AC/AP without inquiring further. <shrug>

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.