Champagne in LHR lounges

Old May 11, 18, 5:26 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Either below the Ockham stack or below the approach to SDKY
Programs: UA 1MM/*G. AA EXP for 1 more year. Then, who knows?
Posts: 5,062
Champagne in LHR lounges

After 20 years of slurping champagne in the SQ lounge at LHR, I was appalled today to discover that they've replaced champagne in their bar with Prosecco (yuk!). So champagne-wise, they are now no better than the Senator lounge (although their other wines are better). Is this a joint *A initiative, and have AC and UA followed suit (I fear they have, as neither is famous for serving champagne in their lounges elsewhere)/
Passmethesickbag is online now  
Old May 11, 18, 5:31 am
  #2  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: NYC
Posts: 69,132
Originally Posted by Passmethesickbag View Post
Is this a joint *A initiative,


You think the *A execs sit around and plan mandates for what member lounges should serve as a sparkling wine option??
sbm12 is offline  
Old May 11, 18, 5:34 am
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Either below the Ockham stack or below the approach to SDKY
Programs: UA 1MM/*G. AA EXP for 1 more year. Then, who knows?
Posts: 5,062
Originally Posted by sbm12 View Post


You think the *A execs sit around and plan mandates for what member lounges should serve as a sparkling wine option??
Not executives, but yes, I do imagine that the *A lounge managers at LHR liaise with each other.

Last edited by Passmethesickbag; May 11, 18 at 5:41 am
Passmethesickbag is online now  
Old May 13, 18, 9:51 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: AMS / ATH
Programs: AFKL Gold, A3 Gold
Posts: 4,848
Why would they? Lounges are a business - they make money from every entry. So that also means that these lounges basically compete. Having the exact same offering wouldn't make sense, they would each try to excel at something to gain as many visitors as possible.
catocony likes this.
Xandrios is online now  
Old May 14, 18, 1:43 am
  #5  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Either below the Ockham stack or below the approach to SDKY
Programs: UA 1MM/*G. AA EXP for 1 more year. Then, who knows?
Posts: 5,062
Originally Posted by Xandrios View Post
Why would they? Lounges are a business - they make money from every entry. So that also means that these lounges basically compete. Having the exact same offering wouldn't make sense, they would each try to excel at something to gain as many visitors as possible.
To be honest, I doubt that the vast majority of travellers, outside of this site, has an idea that they have a choice of lounges at LHR other than the one that their airline tries to push them towards at check-in.
zeer0 likes this.
Passmethesickbag is online now  
Old May 14, 18, 12:27 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: BCN/ RIO/ World
Programs: AV Diamond, TK ELP, IB Oro, AD Diamante, NZ Gold, QF Gold, Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum
Posts: 64
For me the question would be what kind of Prosecco... I have had some amazing ones, but also, many more less-than-amazing ones. Equally I have had some mediocre champagnes.

I sometimes wonder how many people who insist on 'champagne' would actually tell the difference in a blind tasting, and how much of it is pure branding where quality of the actual wine is a secondary consideration. I constantly see other sparkling wine varieties trashed before they are even tasted on the account of being something "other" than Champagne.

Note that UA Polaris Lounge AC Signature Suites do serve Champagne in their home markets.
KLouis and Dover2Golf like this.
kiwitakingflight is offline  
Old May 15, 18, 12:31 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: UK
Programs: NZ Gold, BA Gold, QF Silver, AF Ivory, FlyBe, IHG Platinum Elite, Accor Platinum
Posts: 987
Originally Posted by Passmethesickbag View Post
After 20 years of slurping champagne in the SQ lounge at LHR, I was appalled today to discover that they've replaced champagne in their bar with Prosecco (yuk!). So champagne-wise, they are now no better than the Senator lounge (although their other wines are better). Is this a joint *A initiative, and have AC and UA followed suit (I fear they have, as neither is famous for serving champagne in their lounges elsewhere)/
IIRC United does offer Champagne at the LHR bar (of course its a low price NV variety, but this IS UA). Presumably this is the SQ C lounge and the F one is offering a decent vintage.
libertyuk is offline  
Old May 15, 18, 3:04 pm
  #8  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Either below the Ockham stack or below the approach to SDKY
Programs: UA 1MM/*G. AA EXP for 1 more year. Then, who knows?
Posts: 5,062
Originally Posted by libertyuk View Post
IIRC United does offer Champagne at the LHR bar (of course its a low price NV variety, but this IS UA). Presumably this is the SQ C lounge and the F one is offering a decent vintage.
Since the opening of T2, UA, AC, and SQ were all serving exactly the same champagne (some minor, presumably cheap brand which I've never seen anywhere else). This is why I fear they may all have dropped it for pr*s*cc* all at once.
Passmethesickbag is online now  
Old May 16, 18, 6:21 pm
  #9  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: NYC
Posts: 69,132
Could also be supplier issues. In some airports/terminals there aren't (m)any options for such.
sbm12 is offline  
Old May 17, 18, 2:01 am
  #10  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Either below the Ockham stack or below the approach to SDKY
Programs: UA 1MM/*G. AA EXP for 1 more year. Then, who knows?
Posts: 5,062
Originally Posted by sbm12 View Post
Could also be supplier issues. In some airports/terminals there aren't (m)any options for such.
True. But the bartender in the Silver Kris lounge told me that it was a permanent change.
Passmethesickbag is online now  
Old May 19, 18, 9:52 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Dulles, VA
Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
Posts: 2,568
A permanent change until the liquor vendor wants to move a different product.
catocony is offline  
Old May 21, 18, 6:50 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: JAX
Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Posts: 4,583
Prosecco, that's dried ham, right?
Dover2Golf likes this.
TomMM is online now  
Old May 30, 18, 9:14 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 1,846
united club has two different sparkling wines now - one rose - and, yes, no champagne.
LilZeppelin is offline  
Old May 31, 18, 1:43 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: London
Posts: 517
Originally Posted by Passmethesickbag View Post
Since the opening of T2, UA, AC, and SQ were all serving exactly the same champagne (some minor, presumably cheap brand which I've never seen anywhere else). This is why I fear they may all have dropped it for pr*s*cc* all at once.
If I recall correctly, they share a caterer, so this would make sense. No longer my home airport, but still a pity.
SwissBritMiss is offline  
Old Jun 5, 18, 1:18 am
  #15  
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, External Miles & Points Resources
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: MUC
Programs: LH SEN
Posts: 37,104
LH's lounge caterer in LHR, Do & Co specifically went for a good quality prosecco from day 1. When we were given a preopening tour we clearly highlighted that this wouldn't go down well with the Flyertalk crowd, who usually look down with disdain on any sparkling wine that is not produced in France.... The Do & Co Manager just rolled his eyes and smiled.
oliver2002 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread