FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Star Alliance (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/star-alliance-413/)
-   -   Newbie needs expert help in organizing work flights to get status! (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/star-alliance/1906669-newbie-needs-expert-help-organizing-work-flights-get-status.html)

infohigh Apr 29, 2018 8:32 am

Newbie needs expert help in organizing work flights to get status!

Hi everyone,

Really need the help. I've just been transferred to Singapore from Vietnam. And as a result, my Vietnam airlines status has become useless. Tried to do a status match on UA and Singapore Airlines and failed. Tried to do so with Turkish Airlines, and also got into limbo. So wondering if the best way is to try and go through the front door.

I certainly have enough flights to do so I think!

Current SQ qualifying points = 0
Current TK qualifying points = 11,125 miles

Future unbooked itinerary, thinking that I will focus on Singapore Airlines, EVA, TK and United for these flights

5/9 - Singapore -> Athens - 5.6k miles
5/14 - Athens -> Singapore - 5.6k miles
5/28 - Singapore -> Taipei - 2k miles
6/1 - Taipei -> Shanghai - 0.4k miles
6/8 - Shanghai -> Phuket - 2.2k miles
6/11 - Phuket -> Singapore - 0.8k miles
6/15 - Singapore -> Manila - 1.5k miles
6/18 - Manila -> Ho Chi Minh - 1k miles
6/25 - Ho Chi Minh -> Singapore - 1.1k miles
7/3 - Singapore -> Ho Chi Minh - 1.1k miles
7/6 - Ho Chi Minh -> Dalian, China - 2.1k miles
7/9 - Dalian -> Singapore - 2.8k miles
7/12 - Singapore -> Los Angeles - 8.8k miles
7/22 - Los Angeles -> Singapore - 8.8k miles

The total is like 43k miles. I have more travel, but figured that this might be a good start to talk about? Am I crazy to think that this can be optimized somehow to get good status with an airline?

Thanks in advance!

infohigh Apr 29, 2018 8:56 am

I think I posted this in the wrong place. If I did, sorry! I will close this off then.

MSPeconomist Apr 29, 2018 8:59 am

What cabin classes and fare classes will you use for this travel?

BTW, before doing anything, check your (new) employer's travel policies to see whether you can choose the airline, etc. You might be required to fly a particular carrier, use bulk fares, etc.

infohigh Apr 29, 2018 5:32 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 29695976)
What cabin classes and fare classes will you use for this travel?

BTW, before doing anything, check your (new) employer's travel policies to see whether you can choose the airline, etc. You might be required to fly a particular carrier, use bulk fares, etc.

For TransPacific flights I will go Premium Economy. Everything else will be Economy. There are no specific travel policies in place, so I have a fair amount of discretion.

Thanks!

dvs7310 Apr 30, 2018 1:18 am

I'd probably stick with TK or maybe OZ, depending on the actual fare class you can book. United MileagePlus doesn't give bonus PQM (status miles) for SQ, BR, or TK premium cabins, so it wouldn't be the ideal program for you. Use wheretocredit.com and put in the Premium economy booking codes that you'd be flying and it'll give you a good idea of which programs will credit the highest. I also would not rule out A3's program as a possibility.

infohigh Apr 30, 2018 2:20 am

Roger dodger! Looks like TK might be the way to go, as Wheretocredit.com tells me they accept all the miles!

dvs7310 Apr 30, 2018 8:58 pm

With regards to TK, keep pestering them for a status match, they should at least give you a challenge to fast track you, especially if you can show TK flights booked. Might be best to try Twitter or Facebook, those teams seem to be more responsive at many airlines.