Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Best economy product for trip from Washington DC to Amsterdam?

Old Apr 25, 18, 6:16 pm
Original Poster

Hi,

I'm going on a trip to Amsterdam in July. I'll be returning from Belgium. I really dislike long flights and can never sleep on a plane. I'm debating whether splurging for first class or trying to find a decent economy product; but I'd prefer to save some money if possible. Does anyone have any recommendations? I couldn't find anything really decent for that itinerary. I've flown Delta economy to Hawaii and it wasn't awful but I'm hoping there is something better out there. Any help is appreciated.

Last edited by stixix; Apr 25, 18 at 6:32 pm
Old Apr 26, 18, 5:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by stixix View Post
...I'm going on a trip to Amsterdam in July. I'll be returning from Belgium. I really dislike long flights and can never sleep on a plane.

I'm debating whether splurging for first class or trying to find a decent economy product; but I'd prefer to save some money if possible.

Does anyone have any recommendations? I couldn't find anything really decent for that itinerary. I've flown Delta economy to Hawaii and it wasn't awful but I'm hoping there is something better out there. Any help is appreciated.
I suggest looking for long haul business class.
USA domestic first class on most aircraft is closer to premium economy on a good long haul international airline. Or a poor long haul international business class.

What airline fly the route?
Very easy to get between Amsterdam & Belgium by train, so you could arrive/depart from the same airport.
Old Apr 26, 18, 5:16 am

Since you're posting in the *A forum I'm assuming you want to fly on a *A airline, in that case you should look into SK or LH. On either airline check the prices for their premium economy products.

If you're looking for any flight, a direct flight on KL paying for economy comfort seats (same seat with more legroom) is probably the best option.
Old Apr 26, 18, 7:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi View Post
I suggest looking for long haul business class.
USA domestic first class on most aircraft is closer to premium economy on a good long haul international airline. Or a poor long haul international business class.

What airline fly the route?
Very easy to get between Amsterdam & Belgium by train, so you could arrive/depart from the same airport.
I'm not sure. I found a long list of airlines that fly to Amsterdam from the US but not sure which fly from Washington, D.C. Direct flights are on Delta, AA, KLM and United.
Old Apr 26, 18, 8:35 am

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
United is non-stop between Dulles and both Amsterdam and Brussels. It's only 7+ hours from here to Amsterdam, and 9 hours back, so the flights aren't particularly long. I find E+ to be fine for flights of that duration.

It might be cheaper to do a round trip rather than what amounts to two one-ways. The train between Brussels (or wherever you will be in Belgium) and Amsterdam is cheap and fast, so price out round trips from IAD-AMS and IAD-BRU and see if they are cheaper than IAD-AMS and then BRU-IAD.
Old Apr 26, 18, 9:49 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by catocony View Post
United is non-stop between Dulles and both Amsterdam and Brussels. It's only 7+ hours from here to Amsterdam, and 9 hours back, so the flights aren't particularly long. I find E+ to be fine for flights of that duration.

It might be cheaper to do a round trip rather than what amounts to two one-ways. The train between Brussels (or wherever you will be in Belgium) and Amsterdam is cheap and fast, so price out round trips from IAD-AMS and IAD-BRU and see if they are cheaper than IAD-AMS and then BRU-IAD.
Maybe you're right. I managed an 11 hour flight to Hawaii in economy on Delta. I just read so many bad things about the Delta experience so I was wondering if maybe there was something better out there for that itinerary. I had a fear of flying until only very recently, so I'm just now getting up to speed with the different types of planes, offerings, etc.
Old Apr 26, 18, 9:55 am

You would have to pay a bit more for E+ on UA, but it sounds like it would be worth it. It's 4 or so more inches of legroom. Otherwise, KLM has non-stops to Amsterdam. Any other carriers, you're looking at connecting somewhere and going through Schengen controls at the connecting airport, then going to what amounts to a "domestic" European flight. It adds hours to the travel process.

Go for the non-stops.
Old Apr 26, 18, 9:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by catocony View Post
You would have to pay a bit more for E+ on UA, but it sounds like it would be worth it. It's 4 or so more inches of legroom. Otherwise, KLM has non-stops to Amsterdam. Any other carriers, you're looking at connecting somewhere and going through Schengen controls at the connecting airport, then going to what amounts to a "domestic" European flight. It adds hours to the travel process.

Go for the non-stops.
Do you think the United E+ product is better than Delta Premium Select?
Old Apr 26, 18, 11:35 am

I don't fly Delta, but that product is most likely way more expensive than regularly economy. Premium economy is usually priced somewhere between Business - which is $5,000+ on most TATL flights - and full-fare regular economy, which is like $2,000+. You can get E+ on UA - it isn't a different cabin, better meal or wider seat, just more legroom - for discount economy (maybe $1,000 or even less) plus a couple hundred or whatever for E+.

And, with Delta, you would have to connect in Atlanta most likely.
Old Apr 26, 18, 2:07 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
I assume since you’re posting on FT you’re looking at the journey and not just getting to the destination. So you won’t be complaining about a route that takes you a few hours more.

If it’s efficiency - then go with UA or KLM. They have direct flights from IAD. However neither of them are interesting to travel on.

If you want a better experience try PE on LH or even Y on TK (much longer flight though).

If you’re not carrying much luggage - do the PE on Brussels Airlines. So IAD-BRU-IAD. It’s easy to get from BRU to Amsterdam by train. You’ll have to take a train from the airport to Antwerp Central and from there to Amsterdam. The extra train ride will take you about 2 hours more than flying direct.

While SN isn’t fantastic... It’s pretty good and they have a true PE product. But you don’t have to be fantastic to be significantly better than UA.
​​​​​​
Old Apr 26, 18, 6:54 pm

Programs: UA Gold, TK Elite, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by PiperAtGatesofDawn View Post

While SN isnít fantastic... Itís pretty good and they have a true PE product. But you donít have to be fantastic to be significantly better than UA.
​​​​​​
It's not really a true PE product seat wise. It's 2-4-2 (same as economy). So you just get more legroom and better service. It's in between UA E+ and LH PE.
Old Apr 26, 18, 11:03 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
Yes maybe the same seat width but more legroom and more pitch. I wouldn't discount SN from being a PE on the basis of just seat width. I'd say it's very close to LH and miles better than UA E+.
Old Apr 27, 18, 12:00 am

Programs: UA Gold, TK Elite, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by PiperAtGatesofDawn View Post
Yes maybe the same seat width but more legroom and more pitch. I wouldn't discount SN from being a PE on the basis of just seat width. I'd say it's very close to LH and miles better than UA E+.
It's for sure better than UA E+ but AFAIK SN's PE is sold at the same price as LH's PE due to the TATL JV. It's hard to justify paying for SN instead of LH unless it's a non-stop flight which is not the case here as OP would need to take the train from BRU to Amsterdam.
If going for PE with a stop, I would do AC or LH instead.
Old May 1, 18, 5:43 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hertz PC, BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by stixix View Post
Do you think the United E+ product is better than Delta Premium Select?
They are completely different products. United E+ is an economy product with a little bit of extra legroom (really like extra legroom seats most airlines have, which are given free to elites and paid for by others). Delta Premium Select is a middle of the road Premium Economy product in a different cabin - and is far more expensive.

IMHO, the easiest thing for the OP to do is to fly UA to Amsterdam and back from BRU by selecting Multi-City in the single/return/multi-city option when booking. If the OP wants to price it out in business, then that's fine. I don't think anyone offers First on this route. This will avoid stops in either direction, and UA is the only airline which can do that. That's far easier than either flying return to AMS and having to get a train back from BRU before the return, or flying return to BRU and having to take a train to AMS on landing, or having to stop in one direction (eg using KL or SK) or both directions (pretty well any other airline).

The cheapest route would probably be on WOW but I wouldn't recommend that....
Old May 1, 18, 9:52 pm

For what it's worth, the train station under AMS is very convenient, and it's between BRU and Amsterdam Central. Certainly the two one-ways, with a single train ride in between them, is the most convenient, but if it's $500 cheaper with a simple round trip between IAD and either BRU or AMS, I would do the train. It's a fairly short ride, the trains are fast and quiet, and it's a smooth ride.

Search this Thread