Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Best Star Alliance Program for Family

Old Apr 25, 18, 8:39 am
Original Poster

Me, my wife, and daughter (3 people) are traveling in Y on a really circuitous route as part of a job change. It is LLW-JNB-IAD-MSP-PDX-DCA-EWR-BOM. All will be on a star alliance carrier of some sort or the other. I'm trying to figure out which FF program to join ahead of this. I've been with United in the past, but have a negligible amount of miles, so let's assume no miles/no status with any program. My goal would be to maximize chances for an award ticket to/from BOM to USA. Any status stuff would be a bonus.

Would Turkish' program of pooling miles be the best bet?
Old Apr 25, 18, 9:12 am

You should first figure out how much you would earn from your trip in different programs (you might have tickets that only earn on UA, for example).

A3's miles pooling requires at least silver status IIRC. Apparently MS allows pooling of status and award miles, so you might end up with *G. I think also SK has recently introduced miles pooling, and it's a decent program.
Old Apr 25, 18, 1:16 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
That is some routing.

Use https://www.wheretocredit.com/calculator for your entire itinerary to calculate which programs will give you the best earnings.

Look at the redemption chart for those airlines. In *A you have a limited number of airlines that allow miles pooling - NH, A3, MS, LH (geo based) all allow pooling of miles. ET stands out for giving you status on pooled miles - but I'm not sure how good/easy redemption with them is.

Search this Thread