Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Ideas for a Star Alliance Credit Card in Europe?

Old Apr 24, 18, 4:41 pm
Original Poster

Hi,
So after a long hiatus from flying, I'm back on the road and flying regularly from ZRH on SA. I'm still with M&B, though Gold is now long gone.
With my first option the M&B Alpha Visa not being viable (Greek bank constraints and all) and my second option Amex SPG on a downward spiral, I'm a bit lost.
Any ideas on what would be the most beneficial credit card with SA in terms of miles per amount spent?
Thanks!
Old Apr 24, 18, 11:46 pm

Do you have any specific reason to use SA's program? AFAIK it's not a particularly good program.

At any rate I think if you are based in Switzerland you can get M&M credit cards, a Diners with BA, or a Flying Blue Mastercard. AMEX would not transfer points to SA.

What are you trying to achieve exactly? Earning some M&M points and then redeeming for ZRH-JNB would probably be reasonably easy.
Old Apr 25, 18, 12:26 am

Programs: *G
I had to re-read it like 4 times, but I think OP is talking about *A when he says SA, NOT South African. That threw me for a loop there too, but the statement about greek banks didn't make any sense otherwise.

OP, where are you located? And do you mean South African Airways (SA IATA code) or Star Alliance when you say "SA"?
zeer0 likes this.
Old Apr 25, 18, 1:18 am
Original Poster

Hi both,
First, thank you both for your replies and Smiley is right, I do mean Star Alliance (*A) when typing SA, not South African.
I'm based in Zurich, Switzerland, with some flights to JNB but few and far between
My main goal is to have the highest M&M miles vs CHF/EUR/USD spent, without exorbitant fees (either yearly or per transaction). Of course I'm not expecting those to be zero, as long as interesting from a miles perspective.

Any pointers or ideas welcome!
Old Apr 25, 18, 1:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Berlin, Germany; Toronto, Canada; and SW Florida, USA
Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, and assorted others
Iím even more confused. What would a *A credit card transfer to? If you are in Zurich, just get a M&M card.
Old Apr 25, 18, 1:50 am

Programs: UA 1K, DL PM
Originally Posted by YakPak21 View Post
Hi,
So after a long hiatus from flying, I'm back on the road and flying regularly from ZRH on SA. I'm still with M&B, though Gold is now long gone.
With my first option the M&B Alpha Visa not being viable (Greek bank constraints and all) and my second option Amex SPG on a downward spiral, I'm a bit lost.
Any ideas on what would be the most beneficial credit card with SA in terms of miles per amount spent?
Thanks!
What is going to be the new spending per point on the Amex SPG? I'm only familiar with the Japanese and American one. The Japanese one is going to be completely unaffected, we're going from 1 point per 100 yen now to 3 points per 100 yen in August. If the Euro or CHF one is similar then it's still going to be the most flexible place to bank miles from a credit card.

Curious what your annual mileage is ( actual flown, not credit card spend)? I generally only find M&M a good program if you fly enough to make Senator or HON, otherwise I'd be looking at A3, TK, SK, etc for *A programs if Europe based so you can at least get Star Alliance Gold (*G) at a reasonable threshold.
Old Apr 25, 18, 2:08 am
Original Poster

@LondonElite: I'm all for a M&M card sorry if that wasn't clear, but spoiled for choice between Diners M&M, Cornercard M&M, Swiss M&M and the Amex SPG (add their classic/gold variations). I'm familiar with their conditions and miles per CHF spent, I just wanted feedback on which one you think is more worth it.

@dvs: will be looking at just above 30k mileage, and am already part of A3. Was looking to complement that with a M&M card or even an Amex SPG, just was not sure which.
Old Apr 25, 18, 4:10 am

All clear then. Just get the M&M Mastercard, and if you really want to overdo it get also one from Germany so that you have one in EUR.
Old Apr 25, 18, 8:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL PM
Originally Posted by YakPak21 View Post
@LondonElite: I'm all for a M&M card sorry if that wasn't clear, but spoiled for choice between Diners M&M, Cornercard M&M, Swiss M&M and the Amex SPG (add their classic/gold variations). I'm familiar with their conditions and miles per CHF spent, I just wanted feedback on which one you think is more worth it.

@dvs: will be looking at just above 30k mileage, and am already part of A3. Was looking to complement that with a M&M card or even an Amex SPG, just was not sure which.
As long as the Amex SPG will continue to give you the same in terms of earning, it's a great card because there are so many programs you can transfer your points to as the need arises. The US card is taking a downgrade, but not sure if all of the overseas ones are or not.

As for your choice of M&M cards, I'd suggest Diners if you don't already have Priority Pass. You'll get lounge access in many airports, regardless of which alliance you're flying and whether or not you earn *G status.

Search this Thread