Best *A TATL J service?

Old Mar 27, 18, 8:08 am
Original Poster

2019 Secret Santa

Programs: DL MM (thanks PMNW!), DL PM, UA PLT, just about every darn hotel program-generally GOLD type level
Question Best *A TATL J service?

Hi all!

I’m posting here as the *A forum thread is just about seats not soft product. I have the choice of J on Lufthansa, Swiss, or Turkish for a flight back to USA. I’m flying out on LH. Should I stick with them or try something new? Fares are slightly higher on LH, obviously.

Thanks for any information you can share.

Anne
Old Mar 27, 18, 8:13 am

Programs: UA:PLT; SPG: Gold; MR: Gold; Hilton: Gold
Originally Posted by In2ishn View Post
Hi all!

I’m posting here as the *A forum thread is just about seats not soft product. I have the choice of J on Lufthansa, Swiss, or Turkish for a flight back to USA. I’m flying out on LH. Should I stick with them or try something new? Fares are slightly higher on LH, obviously.

Thanks for any information you can share.

Anne
On a mobile, so can’t link but there are plenty of threads in here for *A J comparisons. If you’re flying LH on the outbound I’d go for LX on the return if you can catch one of their newer J (773). Wouldn’t book TK mostly to avoid the backtrack to IST from most of “western” Europe (also wouldn’t want to be on 2-3-2 J as a solo traveler).

As as an aside - not sure why LH is “obviously” higher.
In2ishn and AceReport like this.
Old Mar 27, 18, 8:17 am
Original Poster

2019 Secret Santa

Programs: DL MM (thanks PMNW!), DL PM, UA PLT, just about every darn hotel program-generally GOLD type level
Originally Posted by jmanirish View Post

On a mobile, so can’t link but there are plenty of threads in here for *A J comparisons. If you’re flying LH on the outbound I’d go for LX on the return if you can catch one of their newer J (773). Wouldn’t book TK mostly to avoid the backtrack to IST from most of “western” Europe (also wouldn’t want to be on 2-3-2 J as a solo traveler).

As as an aside - not sure why LH is “obviously” higher.
Thanks! I appreciate your information re: TK
Oh, I’ve flown LH a few times and have noted that it always seems a bit higher priced than the rest of the flights to Europe.

Last edited by In2ishn; Mar 27, 18 at 8:22 am Reason: typo
Old Mar 27, 18, 8:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I've flown LX and LH, slightly prefer LX, but my experience with LX is likely at least one cabin retrofit ago. What does Seatguru say about your exact type choices?

I always hear good things about TK, but usually it's an option people consider for substantially cheaper fares, because they want to visit Turkey on a stopover, or because they're heading somewhere else where IST isn't such an odd routing.
Old Mar 27, 18, 8:31 am

Programs: UA 1 MM
Best *A TATL J Service? Easy: OS.
Old Mar 27, 18, 8:35 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG75K; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
OS. Definitely not LX, which I would put at the bottom of the list for soft product.

LH, UA, LX, OS, and AC all have the same fares TATL. It's a joint venture.

Originally Posted by In2ishn View Post
I’m posting here as the *A forum thread is just about seats not soft product.
Not sure where you got that idea. This thread will properly get moved to the *A forum.
Old Mar 27, 18, 8:50 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
TK has very good J product, with top-notch IST lounge and soft product. The seats are not industry-leading by any stretch but are reasonably comfortable with decent bedding. IST adds several hours to your travel if coming from continental Europe, so that's a big negative in my book.

OS has a mediocre hard product but an excellent soft product, decent lounges, and easy transit at VIE, even if it means backtracking a bit.

I put LH a notch ahead of LX, mostly on the basis of seat, but neither are great. Soft product is middling.

IMV, a more-direct UA flight/routing is a very competitive option.
Old Mar 27, 18, 9:14 am

Programs: UA 1K, DL PM, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
Definitely not LX, which I would put at the bottom of the list for soft product.
Just finished a trip with an LX segment and I'm actually pretty surprised by that - I thought the food and wine were quite a bit better than LH (or obviously UA) and the service was just fine. It was actually the hard product I disliked - the 77W cabin was absolutely beautiful but quite cramped when it came to a lounging position or trying to climb out from the window seat.

That was my first LX long-haul though; however, I've flown LH a number of times and the food has always been maybe a hair above mediocre.
Old Mar 27, 18, 9:17 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG75K; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
Originally Posted by findark View Post
Just finished a trip with an LX segment and I'm actually pretty surprised by that - I thought the food and wine were quite a bit better than LH (or obviously UA) and the service was just fine. It was actually the hard product I disliked - the 77W cabin was absolutely beautiful but quite cramped when it came to a lounging position or trying to climb out from the window seat.
Opinions on soft product are a YMMV situation. I have a half dozen TATL J segments on LX and I just don't like them. Very consistent experiences with food and service. OTOH, I like the 77W hard product (though it depends on your seat) and - especially - the departure times from both SFO and ZRH.
Old Mar 27, 18, 9:20 am

Programs: UA 1K, DL PM, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Opinions on soft product are a YMMV situation. I have a half dozen TATL J segments on LX and I just don't like them. Very consistent experiences with food and service. OTOH, I like the 77W hard product (though it depends on your seat) and - especially - the departure times from both SFO and ZRH.
Interesting - quite true and as it was my only experience I might have lucked out with a good meal set (I had a good steak! On a plane!). Definitely agree on the departure time, that and the (maybe still ongoing?) abundance of P space on the UA codeshare make it an attractive flight.
Old Mar 27, 18, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
When I looked in the past TK had brutal connection times making for a very long journey.

I actually like LOT in J. Nice 787s, decent food, good wines that are as described on the list (unlike another *partner we could mention) service is better than I expected. Very easy connection at Warsaw.
Old Mar 27, 18, 9:29 am
Suspended

I had a good steak! On a plane!
lol they've always run out of the steak by the time they take my order (and they've not been very nice about it).

I'm flying LX39 next week. That and the late LH flight to MUC are my favorites, but MUC is so popular it's rarely available as a P. Perhaps that will change as they upgauge to the 380.
Old Mar 27, 18, 9:31 am

lol they've always run out of the steak by the time they take my order (and they've not been very nice about it).
Interesting - maybe I got some benefit out of 5A after all. That and the (somewhat dim) auroras when I woke up in the middle of the night
Old Mar 27, 18, 9:37 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
I've heard good things about SN's J catering. And if you like salmon and aquavit, there is always SK.
AStarr likes this.
Old Mar 27, 18, 9:54 am
Suspended

Interesting - maybe I got some benefit out of 5A after all.
Which highlights one of the things I really dislike about LX - the most obnoxious advance seat selection policy in all of *A.

Search this Thread